Netflix orders modernized 'Haunting of Hill House' from Mike Flanagan

Four episodes in and I'm digging it. Victoria Pedretti is so damn good in this.
She really is. Easily one of the best actresses today, in my mind.

After having this sink in even more, I really really love what flannagan did with this. Some of the themes hit close to home for me.

No, I haven't lost my fiance to death or something, but being in a long distance relationship, and having to leave almost a year each time, especially as of late, you start to see them everywhere, and in every couple you see. It's not a bad thing, but more bittersweet because it shows that when you love someone so much, you cherish that time you have with them, and then you have to leave, even if it's temporary and it's over like a dream. But they're always with you no matter what.

Last edited:
Between Hill House/this and You, I can't wait to see what she does next... An A24 film would be rad. Wouldn't be surprised she isn't in the MCU within 5 years - and not in a McAdams/Portman type role
She's been my top choice for Zatanna ever since Hill House.

Just started this last night, and I love it so much. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Also, Amelia Eve in her Springsteen inspired outfits were aces.

I've watched 3 episodes so far, and my only complaint is that the "scary moments" just don't scare me... Hill House also didn't have big scares, (except for that one) but some scenes would stay with me hours after I watched an episode... Nothing like that yet, but I really like it though

Yeah I never found Haunting of Hill House to be all that scary. It was a minor disappointment to me, in that sense, considering all the hype that had been built up by the time I watched it. It was, however, a very involving domestic drama that had an omnipresent sense of dread and foreboding about it. But yeah it never scared me or even creeped me out all that much.

Well, their respective source material aren’t “scary” in the traditional sense either. They’re classic sitting around the fire telling ghost stories. They stay with you more than anything.

That's just vague enough to be a compelling rebuttal! I wasn't slamming it, for what it's worth. Just chipping in with my two cents. As to 'classic sitting around the fire telling ghost stories', I recommend you read some of M.R. James' work. His stories are perhaps the foundation for what we regard as the traditional ghost story, and I would certainly call them scary in the traditional sense.

As to 'classic sitting around the fire telling ghost stories', I recommend you read some of M.R. James' work. His stories are perhaps the foundation for what we regard as the traditional ghost story, and I would certainly call them scary in the traditional sense.

Interesting. Recently I've heard great things about the BBC Ghost Story for Christmas which adapts a few of his stories. I'll have to check that out along with the original stories.

A Ghost Story for Christmas - Wikipedia

Btw I don't mean to be a downer, but I just started Bly Manor and...holy hell the accents are bad. :funny: Major misstep there. Hope it doesn't prove to be too much a distraction, going forward.

Between Hill House/this and You, I can't wait to see what she does next... An A24 film would be rad. Wouldn't be surprised she isn't in the MCU within 5 years - and not in a McAdams/Portman type role

She's got the kind of look that would fit with multiple Marvel characters. Sue Storm, Jean Grey, Rogue... Plus she's young enough to carry a franchise for 10-12 years.

Just checked the comments for Sheryl Crowe's "I Shall Believe" song and all the top comments are Bly Manor ending related... Maria Rodriguez first reactor to get all episodes out and she was crying throughout the finale. I feel sorry for Sesskasays already...

Btw I don't mean to be a downer, but I just started Bly Manor and...holy hell the accents are bad. :funny: Major misstep there. Hope it doesn't prove to be too much a distraction, going forward.

Henry Thomas is the only super egregious one and, yeah, it detracted from the first part of the first episode.

Everyone else was fine.

I thought Oliver Jackson-Cohen’s Gerard Butler accent was pretty distracting as well.

I’m a little late to the party

Just got around to watching the first season (or different series?), Haunting of Hill House, and I loved it

Had a few creepy moments and visuals, but not scary. Excellent story. More of a family drama with ghosts & the house as the central backdrop, but very good nonetheless

Gotta say, the last episode was bittersweet. Almost shed some tears in the scene with Hugh showing Stephen what occurred the night Olivia died and then you find out Hugh sacrificed himself to save his remaining children. But he got to stay at the house with Olivia and Nelle, while the other siblings continued on and got their happy ending. It was beautifully done

Gonna start watching Haunting of Bly Manor this week

This'll undoubtedly be a hot take here, but thus far I'm taking to this a lot quicker than I did the Haunting of Hill House.

But he's British...

In fairness, you know us British don't have one bland unified accent, right? Just because someone's from London, it doesn't suddenly mean they'll be able to pull off a perfect Yorkshire accent or a Scottish one. :funny:Anyways is OJC's character even British? He sounds like he's from the Republic of Ireland, to me.

Edit - Ah, he's Scottish. It's passable, I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah, the character is Scottish. Maybe a Scotsman can weigh in here but it felt a little off, and hard to understand at times.

Henry Thomas is the only super egregious one and, yeah, it detracted from the first part of the first episode.
His accent is the worst but he still managed to power through and give a good performance in episode 6. It's like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins where the performance still manages to outshine the bad accent.

I’m 4 episodes in with Haunting of Bly Manor, and although has a slower start compared to Hill House I am liking it so far

But yeah, the accents are kinda throwing me of, especially Peter’s

I fell asleep during Hill House several times, twice during the one shot episode. That didn't happen once during Bly Manor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"