Netflix orders modernized 'Haunting of Hill House' from Mike Flanagan

Embargo lifted today and it seems like the general consensus is that this one isn't quite as good or impactful as Hill House was, but solid enough to be a worthy follow-up.

Hill House was masterful, incredible stuff through the first 6-7 episodes but the steam started to leak out a little bit towards the end and had that ending which was a bit divisive (though I'd say I liked the ending overall). Sounds like this season takes about four episodes or so to find its footing but then starts to bring things together and apparently has a very strong finish in its last third, so it's a bit of an inversion.

I can't wait.

I do think that people who watch horror more just for the scares will probably be frustrated with this season as apparently the focus of Bly Manor is much more on its various love stories and themes and a general atmosphere. So basically I am expecting several of my coworkers to be pretty disappointed after they binge it this weekend, heh.

The first season was great, but it wasn't as scary as I wanted it to be. So I'm disappointed that this season may be less scary. But its Flanagan so it's a must watch.

Carla Cugino at the premiere!
That was not announced, right?

Apparently Greg Sestero is in the new season.

Apparently Greg Sestero is in the new season.

Seriously? Is he actually a good actor? The only thing I've seen him in is the Room, which obviously isn't really a good display of anyone's acting talents.

Just finished it up. Very quick thoughts is that while not as good as Hill House, it's still far better than pretty much most series youll see today. I thought it was fantastic, and the performances were all award worthy. Mike Flannagan is a force of nature.

I teared up at the end. this is more of a love story than a horror story. there are scares, but at the core this is what it is and it really really is an emotional gut punch. Different from Hill House, but still very emotionally impactful.

Now on ep 4. It’s just... OK. I do love the cast though. Maybe I’m just being an old grouch but “perfectly splendid” being uttered 100x per ep by Flora stopped being cute after ep 1. The kid playing Miles is an absolute star. He’s so good.

I was sick of hearing perfectly splendid before they even finished giving Dani a tour of the house and grounds. Does she continue doing that in later episodes?

Just saw the first episode and really liked it. Agree about the “splendid” quote haha. Not sure how much I’m going to like and tolerate this kid.

I was sick of hearing perfectly splendid before they even finished giving Dani a tour of the house and grounds. Does she continue doing that in later episodes?

Unfortunately, yes. Not as much as the first ep but still enough to make me want to stab something.

Just saw the first episode and really liked it. Agree about the “splendid” quote haha. Not sure how much I’m going to like and tolerate this kid.

I prefer the kids from S1 as a whole but I do think the one playing Miles here has a lot of potential.

Im on episode 5 and....idk..im not connecting to it or the characters nearly as much as I did with the Hill House crew.

Yeah.. I think Hill House being centered on a family and us already seeing the tragedies they’ve been through just from the first few episodes just connects them to us the way no story can.

I thought the little girl playing Flora was cute, but she's pretty much your typical, proper English little girl who is just there to be cute in every scene she's in lol.

Anyways, the first half of this was really slow and while I do like the characters none of them are as interesting as the ones from the last season and the story just isn't that engaging either IMO.

That being said it really picked up for me after episode 5 which was just a complete mind**** of an episode and what I've been waiting for this whole time.

Only got through the first episode so far and it was a little shaky to start but locked into that Flanagan groove once it gets to Bly Manor. Kohli as Owen and Miller as Mrs. Grouse... so good. Pedretti's barely buried neuroses, also great. Flanagan's storytelling is on a different level to most modern TV once he's in his element.

Flanagan really likes his Ep 5s, doesn’t he?! Ep 5 is also this season’s Bent-Neck Lady. Poor
Hannnah
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Really enjoying this season. So far it's not on par with Hill House but it's still really damn good.

And yeah, ep 5 was excellent.

It's not on par with Hill House IMO either, but while I did find the horror and atmosphere lacking in comparison to Hill House the drama in this season was aces. The fate of the Hannah character was pretty damn sad and I'm not going to lie those scenes with Carla Gugino towards the end had me a little teary eyed, especially the very end which was bittersweet.

The second half of this season was pretty fantastic and really elevated it and I'm definitely down for more seasons of this show as long as Flanagan is involved.

Oh, oh, oh...!

(Ep 6) How Flora
talks is probably a clue on whether she’s possessed by Rebecca or not...
Right?

(Ep 7)
**** Peter. What a selfish manipulative murderer. Poor Rebecca. NGL his speech to Miles at the end made me tear up a bit. OJC killed that scene.

I saw a Reddit theory from a few eps prior that predicted that this will be like
Skeleton Key
and it’s turning out to be true. For me, this is also a bit like if
Inception
was a ghost story.

ETA:
Just finished it. :up:

Overall, Hill House is still better but this was really a good follow up. There were just more highs in Hill House and I remember bawling my eyes out way more times. As for this season, I’d say eps 1-4 are average at best but 5 onwards was very good with 5, 8, and 9 as my favorites. The last ep was both beautiful and sad. A lot of moments hurt and yeah I cried at a lot of those moments. When the reviews said that this is more of a love story than a ghost story, I didn’t expect it to be
a lesbian love story and I just love that. It never felt forced and it was just so damn genuine and beautiful. What a beautiful love story.

Last edited:
Between Love and Bly... I have a huge crush on the Bent-Neck Lady.

Three episodes down and the screenwriting and pacing is perhaps a bit too lax at times and the atmosphere not as pervasive as Hill House... but I barely care thanks to the characters. Also the story's hooks are definitely starting to set in because I didn't want to binge this but I am having a hard time not starting episode 4 right now.

Hill House and Bly Manor parallels:

Also, some Oliver Jackson-Cohen for me anyone who wants it:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"