News & Discussion Thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by Thread Manager, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

only way they would do it is if it had like a 50-70 million budget

2. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I think for any Marvel film. PG-13 is perfect. I think even the likes of Blade could be still good as a PG-13 film. Of course their are some stretches but think X-Men, Spidey, and many more work perfectly at the PG-13 level.

3. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

The PG-13 (equivalent 12A in the UK) is fine for these films. As has been pointed out, the Dark Knight films managed to be violent and grim without a higher rating. Extreme scenes can be implied (like the Dark Knight 'pencil in the eye') without being graphically shown.

This isn't Saw. And I don't want it to be. This obsession with R ratings is ridiculous.

4. runningman3000

runningman3000 Well-Known Member

5. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

I stopped caring about R-ratings when I didn't have to worry about having to sneak into them anymore. And that was a while ago...

6. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Haha! Yep. The only thing that becomes notable in a PG-13 scene of violence is the lack of blood. I don't know exactly what the rules are for blood and gore in films though.

7. S. Grundy

S. Grundy Well-Known Member

Intensity could play another factor too, remember in X2 when Wolverine stabs the soldier to the fridge, that had to be cut a bit because of how intense it came off, and there wasn't a drop of blood in that scene.

8. danoyse

And I had a friend (who's a huge X-Men fan), who didn't let his young son see X2 because of that mansion invasion scene. It didn't matter that it wasn't bloody, he said Wolverine was obviously killing people and he thought it was too much for his kid. He loved it...he just saw it sans kid at the time.

9. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

I dunno, personally I started reading X-men at 7 years old because of how badass Wolverine is
    it don't make my parents bad parents

never once did I get the urge to go out and start stabbing ninjas
    lol

It can be suitable for kids and still be suitably badass for us longtime fans

10. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

It depends on the kid. I know when I showed the first X-men film to my little brother (he was around 6 or 7 at the time) it actually scared him a bit. And I remember when I was 7 I was in love with Jurassic Park. So kids definitely have a different thresh hold for fantasy violence. I could see how that scene in X2 could freak some kids out.

However, I was a few days away from 14 when X2 came out and I remember having a huge nerdgasm when Wolverine finally went Beserk. It's the closest we've seen to him really letting lose in the films so far.

11. EnDz0n3

EnDz0n3 Marvel Legend

12. danoyse

It always depends on the kid. Some kids have no problem with the violence, others get bothered by it. In my friend's case, he knew it would upset his son at the time, so he didn't take him. He did love the movie, he just didn't think his son was ready for it. I'm sure he's seen it by now.

When I was 7, the Nazis-melting scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark scared the crap out of me (I saw it in the theater). Today that's one of my favorite movies. Actually, I was fine with it by the time it was on cable. :up:

13. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I was pretty freaked out the first time I saw the heart scene in Temple of Doom, so much for the longest time I never realized it was Indiana Jones(my Dad was watching it on TV and I only saw that part, the only Indy movies I watched at that time were Crusade and Raiders as that is what we had on VHS). Now I can watch it without a problem, but I can see it troubling kids.

14. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Temple of Doom is such an amazing and thrilling movie! Too bad its so underrated.

15. james-in-cali

james-in-cali Well-Known Member

Temple of doom scared me as a kid too, and I agree it is a very underrated film. I'm sure I'm in the minority thinking that the movie version of wolverine is a big wuss. I know it is probably too comic book-y to have all of his soft tissue ripped from his bones or trapped in a pit and shot 100 times every 5 minutes but being knocked out for what appeared to be an hour or more with a log? Come on that's absurd. X2 and the others kinda fixed this, but my reason for wanting the "R" rating is to see some crazy comic book violence .

16. 747

747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Funny seeing people talking about memories of being scared from moments of the first two Indiana Jones movies as kids. Because I have a moment like that too but in Last Crusade! The decapitating of a head when one guy tries to go pass the traps in the temple.

17. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

The Indy films and violence in comic flicks never really bothered me when I was growing up. Only scene that freaked me out in a comic book movie as a kid was the woman being possessed by a computer in Superman 3. That was just a weird scene.

18. runningman3000

runningman3000 Well-Known Member

19. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

What is an R rating in the UK? A 12?

20. Filmboy

Filmboy Well-Known Member

Those that have read the script, does it gives you the feel that it takes place after the events of X3?

Since the director basically said it takes place after X3, I'm really curious and wondering.

21. craigdbfan

craigdbfan Well-Known Member

He's still mourning Jean so there's that.

22. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

23. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

Hope it's 15 D:

24. Filmboy

Filmboy Well-Known Member

Heard that filming on "The Wolverine" is about to wrap up in two weeks......that's fast and right on schedule

25. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Wow, if that's true then it shows how much I don't pay attention to those kind of details. Though I expect that wouldn't include possible reshoots, where are common enough.

Hopefully we'll start seeing more promo pics and eventually a trailer then. I can imagine that many, like myself, are on tender hooks waiting for the first proper look at Silver Samurai.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.