NFL Free Agency

Alpha and Omega said:
:confused: Wow. Is every other team in that division going to forfeit? :o Well, forget about San Fran, but they still have Seattle and a viable threat in St. Louis to deal w/.

St. Louis's nucleus of the former glory is more or less gone. Torry Holt was plagued with injuries last year, Age prevents Faulk from being Faulk and Bruce from being Bruce. Kurt Warner is now playing for Arizona and Marc Bulger has not reached the level Warner was at when healthy. Their D is suspect - adding Witherspoon helps - but they also lost their top DB in Archaletta. Plus Mike Martz is gone and he was key to the glory of the Rams in the past.

Seatle made a huge mistake in not singing Hutchenson and Jurevicious. Jurevicious was the one reliable WR they had on the team and Alexander relied on Hutchinson to open holes.

Arizona's offense will be great this year with all the weapons they got, a good QB and now finally a RB. Their D has some overlooked stars and they still have one of the best coaches in the country with Denny Green. I like their chances, the only thing going against them is the fact that they are the Arizona Cardinals.

Tukiluka said:
You gotta be able to take one idea, then move on to the next. Yes, Marino is great. But yes, lots of quarterbacks put up gawdy numbers. McNabb is not great...big numbers. Culpepper not great...big numbers. Rich Gannon not great...big numbers. Randall Cunningham not great...big numbers. Warren Moon really good, but not great...big numbers. All these guys had iffy running backs, and all put up great numbers. Clayton and Duper were really good receivers, and then Dan got Keith Jackson there at the end. He had a lot of outs, in a system designed around him. That he had a bad defense only further inflates his numbers, as coming from behind usually necessitates throwing more.

Brady had a cruddy run game for his first two championships, yet he won. His targets were also not as good as Clayton and Duper.

Warren Moon isnt great? Wow someone should notify the NFL Hall of Fame.

Apparently a deal should be done by tonight. The Saints are offering Brees more guaranteed money, but Miami is a team on the rise and Brees is one of their missing pieces. It could go either way.

Bengals sign fmr. Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson to a 4 year deal.

Fantastic, now the Bengals can pick up Leonard Pope in the draft, sign Sam Adams (or another DT) and draft Greg Blue in the 3rd to be groomed under Jackson. Pollack and Thurman will both be beasts next year, helping that team even more.

Bengals are looking very good right now, WHO DEY!

Dexter Jackson isn't going to make much of a difference in Cincy. He might have been Super Bowl MVP, but he was also CUT last year by the Arizona Cardinals.

Hopefully Brees is smart enough to realize that he should sign with Miami. New Orleans is in rebuilding mode right now and I don't think Brees is going to make them a playoff team even if he decides to sign with them.

I'm not sure how much of a difference Dexter Jackson makes, although I am surprised that someone other than the Raiders signed a SB MVP.

Leonard Pope is a beast. He's got the size, speed and hands to do some things at the next level. Good system for a TE in Cincy too.

Norman, you're big on the Bulldogs aren't you.

I agree with all the sentiment on Brees. God knows the Dolphins need a solid QB. I'm iffy on Culpepper and hope it doesn't come to that. Yeah, he put up impressive numbers, but that Moss guy had ALOT to do with that. Plus, his knee is all gimpy. Who knows if he can even be ready for camp? All that said, I'll still take his party boat ass over Frerotte.

I LOVE, absolutly love sprts, but these players are jackasses! they are so damned greedy! "hows 7 million dollars?" "oh, are you kidding, i have a family to feed. MORE $!"

StorminNorman said:
Arizona's offense will be great this year with all the weapons they got, a good QB and now finally a RB. Their D has some overlooked stars and they still have one of the best coaches in the country with Denny Green. I like their chances, the only thing going against them is the fact that they are the Arizona Cardinals.

Bingo, and don't count out the Rams running game; Stephen Jackson is underrated, and he'll fill Faulk's place.

I think they're going to get better, but I don't see them winning the division this year. I could see that in 2 or 3 years.:up:

Snipershot said:
who thinks culpepper is goin' to oakland?

That would be hilarious (provided the Dolphins don't want him). It would also make Minnesota's front office the biggest joke in the League.

Mister J said:
That would be hilarious (provided the Dolphins don't want him). It would also make Minnesota's front office the biggest joke in the League.
but would you rather have a good player and lower the morale to nearly nothing, or get rid of him, and make everyone happy?

I like what The Rams have done with their defense. The'yve signed DR La'Roi Glover, OLB Will Witherspoon(supposedly he's going to switch to MLB), & SS Corey Chaveous.

I can't believe The Chargers overpaid for SS Marlon Macree(i know i spelled it wrong).

Snipershot said:
but would you rather have a good player and lower the morale to nearly nothing, or get rid of him, and make everyone happy?

To my understanding, Daunte didn't wanna leave until he found out they wanted to trade him. Everything was good until then. He's not a headcase like Moss. Culpepper's is professional enough to carry and not complain and do stupid stuff off the field (boat trips aside).

Still if they trade him to Oakland, more than likely he gets back with Randy and terrorizes defenses. Meanwhile, the Vikings have an aging Brad Johnson with no replacement in sight and an unproven (although somewhat promising) receiving corps. Trade him someplace else. Last I heard they only wanted a 2nd round pick. They can't get that from someplace else? Why do the Raiders a favor and ease their miserable QB issues?

Go Web Go! said:
Dexter Jackson isn't going to make much of a difference in Cincy. He might have been Super Bowl MVP, but he was also CUT last year by the Arizona Cardinals.

He played for the Bucs in 04 and 05, and is ranked among the most valuable safeties in the FA.

Mister J said:
I'm not sure how much of a difference Dexter Jackson makes, although I am surprised that someone other than the Raiders signed a SB MVP.

Leonard Pope is a beast. He's got the size, speed and hands to do some things at the next level. Good system for a TE in Cincy too.

Norman, you're big on the Bulldogs aren't you.

Dexter Jackson is ranked among the best Safeties in the FA, plus he is younger then Lawyer Malloy is was the other safety on the Bengals wish list.

Leonard Pope is a beast you are correct, amazing how someone that freakishly tall can be that fast.

Yes I am a huge Dawg, however it does not take someone who bleeds Red and Black to see that Pope is as close to a sure thing in the Draft as far as the TE position goes for the following reasons. Hes got the measurables, hes got the on field experience and is impressive, and hes from Georgia - a team that has produced 3 starting big play TE's in the NFL out of their last three TE's: Jermain Wiggins of Minn, Randy McMichael of Miami and Ben Watson of NE. Pope has the ability to be a player similar to McMichael, only half a foot taller and running a 4.6 over a 5.0.

C-$ said:
I like what The Rams have done with their defense. The'yve signed DR La'Roi Glover, OLB Will Witherspoon(supposedly he's going to switch to MLB), & SS Corey Chaveous.

I can't believe The Chargers overpaid for SS Marlon Macree(i know i spelled it wrong).

Will Witherspoon, another player from the U (of Georgia).

StorminNorman said:
Sure, Michael Clayton was a horrible reciever. Plus I said Great, I dont consider Marino great - I put him in the next catagory, Legendary.

Mark Clayton was his name. He and Mark Duper. They were good receivers but when they went to other teams they did nothing. Go figrure

Marino only had them for 6 years, that is it!!! Then he had a revolving door of guys except for OJ McDuffie he had for about 5 years. otherwise he never had set guys with him every year.

Tukiluka said:
I saw Dan Marino choke against some really beatable teams. San Diego in 1994 was pretty bad. Marino should have won that game.

Mariono choked? LOL

He racked up good yards and TD's, led them down the field for a chance to win and the kicker missed the field goal in that game and that is why they lost.

StorminNorman said:
Sure, because he drove his team down the field inorder to kick the GWFG. Tom Brady one of the greats in NFL HISTORY, not just the present league.

Brady has played for a handful of years, not nearly long neough to lump him in with the greatest ever. Wow. You must be a pats fan. Give him a few more years and then you can bring that up.

Tukiluka said:
Tom Brady rapes all yer mothers. Dan Marino was very good, but not as good as Montana and Elway. He was a hot shot, ala Peyton Manning, who had very good recivers and no running back...he HAD to pass. And the BS about how defenses could then just concentrate on Marino is exactly that...BS. Plenty of quarterbacks have put up gawdy numbers with no running back. Marino was great, but I'd take Elway, Montana, or Brady over him any day of the week.

Yay!

Wow, easily one of the worst postings ever. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Mister J said:
Exactly, plenty of guys have thrown for 5,000 yards and 48 TD's in the same year while going to the Super Bowl. And certainly, even more QB's have held the records for most completions, attempts, yards and TDs in a career. Marino didn't do anything special at all. It is BS about defenses concentrating on Marino. Even though Marino never had an accomplished running back, the defense wasn't careful, whatever RB was back there could easily scamper for 3, maybe 4 yards a pop.

Are you freaking kidding me? He played against extra DB's every friggin week. He would also face a blitz constantly. Defenses were geared to stopping him when teams played Miami. Just like D's were geared for Barry Sanders when teams played Detroit. Marino WAS the focal point in the oppsing teams game plan. Anyone who says otherwise probably did not watch much football in the 80's or 90's or never watches NFL films.

Check your local listings, there is a great show on ESPN called "5 reasons you can't blame" and a recent episode was Marino. Hear how his opponents talk about him and what other players think and what they say about THEIR game plans when facing Miami.

Sorry for so many posts in a row guys, I was out all afternoon and missed a big chunk of this convo, trying to catch up. I will stop now and just read the rest :p

oregondude said:
Are you freaking kidding me? He played against extra DB's every friggin week. He would also face a blitz constantly. Defenses were geared to stopping him when teams played Miami. Just like D's were geared for Barry Sanders when teams played Detroit. Marino WAS the focal point in the oppsing teams game plan. Anyone who says otherwise probably did not watch much football in the 80's or 90's or never watches NFL films.

Check your local listings, there is a great show on ESPN called "5 reasons you can't blame" and a recent episode was Marino. Hear how his opponents talk about him and what other players think and what they say about THEIR game plans when facing Miami.

Sorry for so many posts in a row guys, I was out all afternoon and missed a big chunk of this convo, trying to catch up. I will stop now and just read the rest :p

Umm dude, that was a sarcastic post. Look at it again.

Mister J said:
Umm dude, that was a sarcastic post. Look at it again.
Yeah I noticed afterwards, sorry was in a big hurry, had to drop the browns off at the super bowl as I just walked in but made the mistake of checking the internet before taking a dump, so I was typing fast so I could go squeeze one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"