NFL Offseason & Waiting for the Swifties Return Thread

Now that the Steelers have traded Kenny Pickett to the Eagles after signing Russell Wilson, I wonder if Steeltown might be a landing spot for Justin Fields. To me, that kinda makes sense. We don't know how Russ is going to fare and Fields comes with a low price tag this year.

Agreed. Fields was never the problem with this team. I see him killing it in Pittsburgh.

Bears also got nothing in return.
Yeah.....the Steelers scored. When you take the Pickett and Fields trades together, the Steelers improved their roster and draft positioning.

I can appreciate Chicago wanting to do right by him, but they got totally screwed in the process. A, possibly intended, bonus for them is that other players around the league see this and it might make them more likely to want to play for Chicago. Also, Justin Fields was pretty damn popular with his teammates and this could definitely help with team morale this year.

Both the Jets and Steelers have an interest in ex-Charger Mike Williams....and both teams could really use him. Given injury issues, I think he could come at a reasonable price with incentives added; including games played. Nothing personal towards Jets, but if it comes down to those two teams and everything else is about equal, I'm booking a flight to Pittsburg.

Jimmy Garoppolo at a basketball game. Dude needs to hire me as his wingman.

Robert Griffin III is an idiot....he says that because the Bears turned Fields into a 6 round pick when they traded him, that Williams should ask himself if he really wants to play for an organization like that. Uh....yeah, you moron.....they took a lesser offer because they wanted to do right by Fields and put him in the best spot possible for his career. (EDIT: The Bears also should have been more aggressive in the trade market, probably overestimated Fields' value, and got stuck. Still Poles said early on they'd do right by him.) They could have taken their best offer. I don't know what that was or to whom, but I'm pretty GD sure they could have gotten more than a 6 next year. Yeah.....Caleb has 2 1,000 yard receivers, another TE, a very good and improving defense, upgraded O line, a new RB, and another top pick in this year's draft. Tell me the last time a #1 QB pick had the infrastructure the Bears are building.

If I'm Fields, I'm on the phone with Caleb right now.....

Last edited:
I have a feeling the Patriots are going to fleece the Vikings at that upcoming draft, demanding Minny's #11, #23
AND their first round pick next year, all in return for the #3. The Vikings will end up with Drake Maye
who will be a successful NFL starter but not the franchise QB they really want, while the Patriots
will end up with 4 fat first round picks in the next two drafts. If NE is smart, they milk Minnesota for all they're worth.

I have a feeling the Patriots are going to fleece the Vikings at that upcoming draft, demanding Minny's #11, #23
AND their first round pick next year, all in return for the #3. The Vikings will end up with Drake Maye
who will be a successful NFL starter but not the franchise QB they really want, while the Patriots
will end up with 4 fat first round picks in the next two drafts. If NE is smart, they milk Minnesota for all they're worth.
I was thinking along those lines too. I think they might try and move up to the Chargers pick and get JJ. I don’t think they’d have to give up a number one next year if they did that.

EDIT: Maye has all the arm talent in the world, is very mobile, and could end up being a very, very good QB. The guy won't be 22 until the season starts. He has a lot of room for improvement. McCarthy won't be 22 until the season is over. He also has a lot of room for improvement.....there's something about JJ though.....dude seems to come through in big moments.

Last edited:
Jets sign Mike Williams to a one year deal worth up to $15M. I'll bet the incentives involve number of games he can play. That's a good pickup for the Jets and not so good news for the Steelers. Jets have helped themselves on O line and WR. I think they've had a good off season in that regard. After losing Huff to Eagles, do the Jets go edge with their 1st pick? Bowers at TE?

I was thinking along those lines too. I think they might try and move up to the Chargers pick and get JJ. I don’t think they’d have to give up a number one next year if they did that.

EDIT: Maye has all the arm talent in the world, is very mobile, and could end up being a very, very good QB. The guy won't be 22 until the season starts. He has a lot of room for improvement. McCarthy won't be 22 until the season is over. He also has a lot of room for improvement.....there's something about JJ though.....dude seems to come through in big moments.
JJ would be a nice pick, but not for the #11 and #23. Way too high a price. I would dangle the #11 plus a second round pick (either this year or next year), see if the Chargers bite.

JJ would be a nice pick, but not for the #11 and #23. Way too high a price. I would dangle the #11 plus a second round pick (either this year or next year), see if the Chargers bite.
I was looking at the "value" draft charts and those 2 picks work out to "about" a 3-4 pick. Now, I agree with you WRT the Chargers and those values aren't etched in stone, but that's what they say. Of course it depends on how top heavy the draft is or isn't, team needs, etc.

I really think JJ could end up being a steal even though he's shot up the charts. My take is that he needs to improve his footwork on his sideline throws, but If that's all he needs, someone is getting a high caliber QB. He's very cool under pressure, is prone to make big plays, and throws with great anticipation. Maye, for all his talent, and it is considerable, doesn't seem to function quite as well under the gun. Of course, he didn't have JJ's team behind him either.

So, even though I'm really a Raider fan, I'll often focus in on a team or few that draw my interest. Last year, it was the Giants and the Jets, so the teams this year should beware my interest in them. :funny:

This year, it was Chicago and Atlanta and now I'm pretty much focused on Chicago. Here's what I do if I'm Chicago.

You don't have many draft picks left, but have two high firsts. You also don't know whether or not one of the 3 top receivers will be available AND you need pass rush help opposite Sweat. You also need a veteran backup QB just in case. You have a little over $30M in cap space.

So, what have the Bears done?

Helped themselves at interior O line (but could still use more help).
Helped themselves at safety
Helped themselves at RB
Helped themselves at WR
Screwed themselves in the Fields trade

Not bad overall IMO

Either Turner at edge or one of the 3 top WRs are going to be available at the #9 pick. If by some miracle ALL of those guys are gone, you have your pick of the top OTs in the draft. That addresses your O line.

I try to sign

Clowney on a one year deal to help your pass rush

Someone like Tyler Boyd at WR to give you some depth

It looks like Brissett might be off the table, but he would have been a good backup. Maybe they could get Tannehill for a reasonable price

I "think" this could be done with their cap space and here's what it does.....

It gives you depth at WR and D line along with a competent backup QB.

No matter what happens with picks 1-8, you can help yourself without being thin at WR, D line, or O line.

With their 3rd round pick, go for need depending who you get at #9. I think some good CB help could be available there.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more 1 year contracts this year?

That's no one year contract. LOL I think that's exactly what the Bears signed Jaylon Johnson for. The Chiefs only got a 3rd round pick next year and a swap of 7s. That's not much for a player of his caliber.

Hip Drop tackle is now a 15 yard penalty...

Hip Drop tackle is now a 15 yard penalty...
I hate that tackle. It's dangerous, but it can be done inadvertently. I think what this means is that people will not leave their feet when tackling someone out of fear they might land on a leg. It sorta reminds me of some fairly recent tackling changes......if a receiver or RB ducks their head, then what?? I mean, they've sort of figured out that rule (sort of.....) and I guess they'll figure this out. They'll come up with a new technique to avoid the penalty....sort of....maybe....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"