Nicholson on Ledger playing the Joker

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight' started by Vengeance of Bane, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Stotch

Stotch the sequel!

K, well go to the manips thread and post your pic :yay: *this isn't the right thread to be asking for manips*

2. CorpusBlack

CorpusBlack Registered

Why are you posting this rubbish on every thread? You can't just come in here demanding s--t. Earn your stripes first homeboy and learn the rules first. Your lack of courtesy and excessive off-topic posting is excrutiatingly annoying.

3. SuBe

SuBe Voluntaryist

Word.

4. CorpusBlack

CorpusBlack Registered

"Ha! That am only the beginning! Next, me realize that Superman never kill, so me kill lots of people! Them very grateful! Scream with happiness!"

5. SuBe

SuBe Voluntaryist

I love Bizarro #1!

6. Colossal Spoons

Colossal Spoons Paper boi

Oh really, it's supposed to be a totally different person?

7. calibud

calibud Registered

No, a totally different approach. Or did you not see Begins?

8. CaptainClown

CaptainClown Papa SPANK!!!

and the sarcasm flew over the head, there it goes

9. BritishChap007

BritishChap007 Registered

I guess he may be bull-goose looney after all!

10. gwynplaine

gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

R.I.P Fatusi lounge.

11. i can understand him being upset with the direction of the character. he liked the joker being comical, etc. but i'm sure nolan's joker will still be plenty silly as well. as for him being upset about not being offered the job, that's a little ridiculous. he's old.. like.. really old, lol. even make up and prostetics couldn't make him look young enough. if they were making a sequel to the original batman with joker being 60 or something then sure, he'd definitely be a good possibility. but this is joker at the same age as he was in the first batman. i'm sure the guy that played joker in the original tv show isn't upset and i wonder if he was even upset when nicholson was offered the role. it'd be like gene wilder expecting to be in the new charlie and the chocolate factory that was made, that's silly.

12. TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin Registered

Me too. He's been dead for almost 14 years now.

13. xero1186

xero1186 Registered

LOL! I hear Gene Wilder died too

14. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

First Shatner, now Nicholson. With all due respect, these old guys need to get over it.

15. Hole Shot

Hole Shot Better Than Smurfberries

Why is it so hard to grasp that Nicholson was being tounge-in-cheek in his response?

16. El Payaso

El Payaso Registered

To hate gives some people an immense pleasure so anything is an excuse. Jack's joke was hilarious.

17. Ryudoz

Ryudoz Cleaning woman?!?!

Gene Wilder?!?!

[​IMG]

18. Bat-Mite

Bat-Mite Registered

Why was it necessary to resurrect this topic?

And... why is it so hard for you to grasp that he might have been serious? Personally, I find nothing remotely humorous about his response, so I don't understand what people think he's joking about, unless it's the comment he makes about being furious. But even then, to me, it doesn't come off as him trying to be funny as much as letting them know that he's a bit upset, but taking it in stride.

Anyway, looking back on this interview now, I think it's pretty awesome that Jack says he did the Joker based on a single conversation with Burton. Sounds similar to what happened with Nolan and Ledger. But then again, I suppose that I shouldn't read too much into that, because everything the man said here is "obviously" a joke. :whatever:

19. Hole Shot

Hole Shot Better Than Smurfberries

I didn't see an expiration date on the thread.

Because people here have an incredibly hard time picking up sarcasm and take everything literally. So I'm giving Jack the benefit of the doubt on this one.

20. Reflectionist

Reflectionist Registered

Sounds like he's full of Tim Burton too.

And yes, in that way.

21. teseract

teseract Registered

So Nolan would be better suited to be a novel or script writer or working at the theater, gotcha! When will people learn it is NOT the job of the director to do "script, plotting and twists"? That's the damn script writers job! You don't let the Video-Operator tell the Lighting crew how to set up a scene, so why should the director concern himself with the writing of the script? That's not his primary function! Heck, it's not even up to him to decide if the script gets okayed or not, that's the producers responsibility. ****, technically speaking it's not even the directors job to set the picture up, that's the damn director of photography's job.

22. teseract

teseract Registered

Uhmmm, hello? That's the DAMN point of the Joker. He's not supposed to look like a ****ed-up maniac. He's supposed to look like a harmless, entertaining clown, who all of a sudden turns into a visious sadist. It's all about the "darkness hidden beneath a harmless facade". That's the draw of the character. That's what Chucky and the Joker have in common. One is a toy, something that is supposed to bring joy, the other a clown, something that is supposed to give people a laugh and entertain them.

23. Figs

Figs Registered

On another note though, the Joker in the "Comic world" is supposed to scare people and not just from his actions. It's only in the real world that we see Nicholson's Joker or comic book Joker and say "There's that good old Joker again". That's because he's been ingrained into our society's pop culture for decades and we're used to him.

24. Figs

Figs Registered

Usually, what you said is true about Directors, but as most of us Nolan fans know from interviews and whatnot, he also writes as well as collaberates with the writers on where the story is going.

As for the director of photography being the only one who should set up the picture. If that were true Directors really shouldn't get much credit for making the film. That would leave them to just basically telling the actors to "stand here, then say this line." I think if your a good director and one who actually is making the film you need to have some say in how that scene is going to be shot.

25. Rumsfeld3d

Rumsfeld3d Guest

Eh... Joker is a F'd up maniac, beady little eyes, yellow teeth with a menacing smile, is "a harmless facade." The draw of the character is the fact that he's a maniac that he's unpredictable, and will do anything just because he feels like it. That we'd all like to do what he does one day if/when we finally snap because, well just because. There's no rhyme or reason for what The Joker does, that we know about, it all makes sense in his head. Not any place else. If the reason that you like the joker is 'cause of the harmless facade, thats pretty disturbing all in itself.