Nine most racist Disney characters ever

I'm shocked the crows weren't higher.

I always thought the black fish in Little Mermaid was a characiture(sp?) of Ella Fitzgerald or Billy Holiday.

Wow. There were quite a few on that list that I thought were just interesting characters. I didn't think they were racist stereotypes. Oh well.

Hahaha, the Nazi Donald Duck didn't make the list

oc%20donald%20as%20a%20nazi.jpg

What always surprises me how much time other races have to accuse cartoons of being racist, and yet when Caucasians get offended, we're expected to just "shrug it off" or "leave it alone". It's the same with matters of faith and sexuality, too. Christians and heteros are expected to obey the "status quo", while gays and atheists complain all the time. All of it's truly depressing, in my opinion.

What always surprises me how much time other races have to accuse cartoons of being racist, and yet when Caucasians get offended, we're expected to just "shrug it off" or "leave it alone". It's the same with matters of faith and sexuality, too. Christians and heteros are expected to obey the "status quo", while gays and atheists complain all the time. All of it's truly depressing, in my opinion.

That's because the "status quo" for DECADES for white, Christian heterosexuals has been to REPRESS gays, atheists and races other than their own. :dry:

jag

Hahaha, the Nazi Donald Duck didn't make the list

He wasn't really a Nazi, he had a nightmare that he lived in Nazi Germany in that cartoon. Although there were a few other stereotypes in that short that would be considered offensive now.

I think they're more dated than racist. They weren't intended to offend. If you watch the animated shorts on the Walt Disney Treasures set, a lot of them open with a reminder about the time it was made--like when Mickey finds a magic lamp whose "genie" sounds like a stereotyped black man, or another where he dresses up as an Indian when he's hiding on a train.

There's even a Goofy cartoon about him trying to quit smoking, and at the end he finally he breaks down and starts smoking again. I don't think that's one they'd get away with today.

There were a couple where I felt the article was reaching a bit, but most of them are very much accurate.

jaguarr said:
That's because the "status quo" for DECADES for white, Christian heterosexuals has been to REPRESS gays, atheists and races other than their own.
It still amounts to lots of people having a chip or two on their shoulder. Many organizations (often fueled by vengeance more than any desire for justice) have made it politically "okay" for various groups to use the law as a lynching strategy. It wasn't right for white folk to treat blacks with cruelty, and it's not right for gays, atheists, and other races to be doing the same now.

It still amounts to lots of people having a chip or two on their shoulder. Many organizations (often fueled by vengeance more than any desire for justice) have made it politically "okay" for various groups to use the law as a lynching strategy. It wasn't right for white folk to treat blacks with cruelty, and it's not right for gays, atheists, and other races to be doing the same now.

I hate this post, and really dislike you right now oh so much.

You are comparing hundreds of years of slavery, torture, and murder to gays, blacks, and other groups calling you a "cracker" once in a while.

What you are saying is that its ok for me as a bisexual man to go around torturing random people. Not only that, you say that it happens today. God, you are an idiot.

Because it's so cruel to get people to stop using stereotypes in fiction :dry:

you can not buy the movie Song of the South in the US.

(but I have a copy :ninja: )

you can not buy the movie Song of the South in the US.

(but I have a copy :ninja: )

And it looks like Disney may be releasing it again. Fans have been campaigning for it for years, and Bob Iger has said they're considering finally releasing it. If it does, it will probably be released as one of the Walt Disney Treasures sets instead of a wide release.

The rumor is it might be released in the fall of next year, and may include a scene from "The Princess and the Frog" which is their first animated movie to feature a black Princess. The new sequence would sort of a 'look how far we've come' type feature. At least that was the rumor a few months ago, no idea if it's at all true.

They do use the stories from Song of the South as the backdrop of the Splash Mountain rides in the parks, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about it.

That's because the "status quo" for DECADES for white, Christian heterosexuals has been to REPRESS gays, atheists and races other than their own. :dry:

jag

Is that what I was supposed to be doing these past 50 years.....damn, I have some catching up to do.:wow: :cmad: :abom:

I always thought the black fish in Little Mermaid was a characiture(sp?) of Ella Fitzgerald or Billy Holiday.

people get offeneded to much these days....

being part animator, its just simply characterizations and cartooning things is all... i dont find nor think any of those are racist, none are poking fun at anyone at all.

and for gods sake.. king louie? Louis prisma WANTED to do the roll... and its not like the amazingly awsome orangutan wasn't in the book.... and is pretty much one of the best characters in the movie

i will agree with the black centaur though... thats pretty offensive imo... but for the rest im like.. please, give me a break. the author seems to be very much uptight imo

I honestly believe that much of this so-called "list" is reaching a bit--I never once interpreted some of those characters as being fueled by racism. :dry:

But this post...

Moviefan2k4 said:

...absolutely disgusts me. :down You really don't get it, do you?

And it looks like Disney may be releasing it again. Fans have been campaigning for it for years, and Bob Iger has said they're considering finally releasing it. If it does, it will probably be released as one of the Walt Disney Treasures sets instead of a wide release.

The rumor is it might be released in the fall of next year, and may include a scene from "The Princess and the Frog" which is their first animated movie to feature a black Princess. The new sequence would sort of a 'look how far we've come' type feature. At least that was the rumor a few months ago, no idea if it's at all true.

They do use the stories from Song of the South as the backdrop of the Splash Mountain rides in the parks, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about it.

That was one of my favorite movies as a child growing up. I loved listening to the workers proudly singing zippety doo da, as they went off to work. I loved listening to Uncle Remus tell the stories of Brer Rabbit.

I know if it gets released it will do well. I'll definitely be buying it. I have the book someplace (well my parents do), and it's really an old book but well preserved. I really liked how Brer Rabbit was so lazy and funny, but always able to outsmart his adversaries. Good times and great memories as a child listening to those stories...

jag

Way to generalize there, jag.
icon14.gif
:whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee