The Dark Knight Nolan better listen to bat-Fans!

I agree that Begins is far from the perfect Batman movie everyone makes it out to be, I still like 89 better, but you can't say that Nolan's filmography is not impressive. We all know Memento got him his major recognition, but Insomnia was a really good movie too. Having both Pacino and Williams in the same movie without either hamming out is a feat unto itself.
(By the way Tarantino is my favorite living director. CConn that one minute and 37 seconds was the best part of Sin City )

We also have to keep in mind that this was his first action movie, and yes the fight scenes sucked, but I think the most important thing was getting the tone right, which he did.

Why's it always seem like if BB isn't "the best movie ever!!" it's "deeply flawed" (and no, I don't mean you specifically Punch). BB is a very good movie. Hell, maybe even in the Top 100 ever made. But nearly any film - even good ones, even great ones - has it flaws, and BB was no different. I think we can all agree on a few of those flaws, and there's definitely room for them to improvement, and we'd all like to see that.

Y'know, I think that's pretty much what ssx is saying with this thread. Shame it's a point presented so poorly (IMO, at least) as it is quite true.

Thespiralgoeson said:
This is sorta off-subject, but Schumacher could've made great Batman movies if he wanted to. Seriously, the guy is a damn good director (Phone Booth- great movie)

But no, WB wanted movies that would sell a lot of happy meals, and he did his best to give them exactly that, and simultaneously make the entire Batman universe overtly homoerotic.
Oh, I know when he has the right focus Schumacher can make some pretty good films.

Still, I thought it was the best example to give; whether it was from his own poor understanding of Batman and WB's money-****ing, or just WB's money-****ing alone, it's pretty obvious his vision of Batman sucked quite gigantically. :o

Punch said:
We all know Memento got him his major recognition, but Insomnia was a really good movie too. Having both Pacino and Williams in the same movie without either hamming out is a feat unto itself.

Off subject, but I actually liked Insomnia better than Memento. Although that's certainly not a knock on Memento because Insomnia is one my top 5 favorite movies. Pacino was his typical self, which is stellar. But Williams' performance was especially noteable because it was such a departure for him. Yes, it's not the only time he played a bad guy, but it was just an amazing performance. Dead serious, not funny at all. Just a smart, manipulative murderer. The dialogue, the cutaways that Nolan has become known for, the engaging plot... Just a great friggin movie. Insomnia IMO is this decade's Heat, which I fell is the definitive crime-drama of the 90's (Silence of the Lambs notwithstanding).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"