The Dark Knight Nolan more excited about Hoffman than Penguin

MulligaN Stew said:
Maybe this is a classic Nolan mind ****. He says one thing and does something along the lines of or completely different.

Think about it. Ken Watanabe was Ra's Al Ghul initially. See my point? Things change.

That's not the same thing at all. If Neeson was announced as playing Ras, it would spoil the twist in the film.

Nolan is a straight forward man. If he doesn't want to answer a question, he just says that he can't.

Its funny how Nolan plays these mind games with us.

Stringer said:
Its funny how Nolan plays these mind games with us.

He is not only player, but also creator of these mind games.

True. You can tell he likes it too, just look at that review for the Prestige. He loves to mess with the audiences heads.

could Hoffman play someone else?? New mob boss? Rupert Thorne??

His response to the question is pretty straightforward. Penguin's not in the film, and I can't say that that bothers me.

THANK GOD.

I don't know what you guys were smoking thinking the Penguin could fit into this series.

Eh, whatever... the same thing happened with Batman Begins, and fake plots, or over-exagerated plotlines. Remember the rumors that half the film was taking place in London that never panned out? Yes, the rumors of the movie taking place outside of Gotham were true to a certain extant, but only in the first 45 minutes of the movie, before Bruce became Batman... and none of it took place in London. There were also rumors that it would follow plotlines from Batman: Year Two (which, other than the death of Joe Chill, never panned out either). This led to people assuming that the Reaper would be in the movie. I think there is some truth to every rumor we've heard so far, but I'd be very surprised at this point now if the Penguin, or Black Mask were going to be in the film. One thing you guys have to remember is that the Black Mask rumor went hand in hand with the Penguin rumor, and I haven't even heard a peep about Black Mask, or any rumors of who might play him since that first report, yet everyone and their sister has been named for a small cameo as the Penguin. From what I gathered from the report, Black Mask was a pretty hefty role, I'd assume we would have heard something by now if he were in it.

Oh, and as for the Penguin being in Batman Begins, he wasn't unless David Goyer and Christopher Nolan never did their research. The Penguin has always been locked up in Blackgate Prison (or Stonegate if you prefer TAS continuity). He's never been in Arkham, because the Penguin isn't crazy... he's just a criminal.

Boom said:
His response to the question is pretty straightforward. Penguin's not in the film, and I can't say that that bothers me.

Yeah, I agree. This messageboard always makes me laugh because there is always someone (or many someones) who will meticulously study every single word Nolan says, and turn a simple statement where he clearly says the Penguin will not be in the movie into "the Penguin may still be in the movie".

I never thought they were going to put the Penguin in the movie.

Antonello Blueberry said:
Penguin.jpg

But that's just an average ordinary guy... waitasec! Penguin is that too.:hyper:

Antonello Blueberry said:

Why would Penguin be in Arkham Asylum? Just cuz he has a gimmick doesn't make him crazy.

I dunno.....Penguin is kinda a throwaway character in the comics anyway. The only interesting version I've ever seen of him was Tim Burton's take, where I really really did like him alot. But....the comics version, he's basically a mob boss for the most part. Kinda boring, I think.

So, when you tell me the Penguin should be the movie....I'm really on the fence about that.

The question IMO is not whether the Penguin SHOULD be in the movie, but if he SHOULDN'T be in it. After all, introducing historic Batman characters IMO is never a bad thing, as long as it doesn't hurt the plot or story and as long as it is respectful to the character. If respectfully adding the Penguin can be done, and would not hurt the plot - why shouldn't he be in the movie?

I really liked the idea of a British arms dealer Penguin. I thought it would've fit perfectly into the series. He's a lot more realistic than most of Batman's villains. I mean, if a fat mobster with a thing for birds is too much for Nolan, what does that leave us with in terms of Batman villains. Batman Begins had more than just a single villain, and i was hoping that trend would continue with the sequels. But I just cant really see who else Nolan would use besides Joker, Two-Face, and mobsters like Thorne and Maroni. Freeze, Ivy, Riddler, all of these are far more outlandish than Penguin.

Yes! Victory for good writing sense and not crowding up the story the way they did with Begins. Thank you Jonah and Chris. Plus, Hoffman still a possibility for the future? Awesome!

Y'know, that quote really stuck me as, well, Nolan lying. Not so much about Hoffman, but his statments about Penguin. The Penguin would be tricky character to adapt? He's a rich guy with a funny nose.

A midget with a funny nose to be exact.

Yeah, I kinda found that odd....considering Penguin is a very very easy character to adapt, I think.

Btw, I think the Riddler is a easily adaptable character. Problem is, he's kinda boring too. "Oh Batman, solve this....solve that....solve that" it could easily get old after the 4th riddle with that dude...

CConn said:
Y'know, that quote really stuck me as, well, Nolan lying. Not so much about Hoffman, but his statments about Penguin. The Penguin would be tricky character to adapt? He's a rich guy with a funny nose.

Yeah, I was thrown off by his comment too. Penguin is one of the easiest villains to adapt into his world of realism.

CConn said:

Well, he may not know much about the character. Or he has the wrong interpretation of him in comparison to the version that would fit in his world. Penguin's been interpreted many different ways.

CConn said:

Exactly. Penguin is one of the easiest of Batman's rogue gallery to adapt in a realistic manner. Besides, his comic-book version is practically identical to how he could be adapted in a Nolan Batman movie.

He's a gangster, he's short, has a deformed, abnormally long nose with some freakish features (which Nolan doesn't have to extentuate) and there you go. That bit leads me to believe that either Nolan is screwing with us or he views figures just a little bit strange too comic-booky. Which makes me fear for his visual intrepretation for The Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"