First Avenger OFFICIAL: Hugo Weaving is Red Skull - Part 6/6/44

Again, That's Exactly what I didn't like Shaw. He basically was responsible for the birth and motivation of Magneto (Heck even wore the helmet that would become apart of Magneto's signature costume .)

But, it is not Sebastian Shaw's movie. It is Magneto's and Xavier's. The villain is supposed to be opposition for the hero and bring out the hero's true nature. Be the hero facing his demons and either succeeding or failing. Films don't cater to the villain, unless it is also the villain's story, like in say Thor where it was Loki's story, too. Shaw worked very well for what X-Men: First Class needed.

for those confused as to why the coin moves so slowly in the death scene.... it's (meant to be) a slo-mo scene.

think of it like bullet time, only with normal sound.

I just thought that Charles was holding Shaw very firmly in place, sort of "frozen." So Erik didn't have a problem pushing through slowly. Charles didn't want to stop this because letting Shaw loose would likely cause a much bigger problem, such as the possible death of his friend and a lot more.

I thought Kevin Bacon was great, and I thought they way they made Magneto's rage easy to empathise with made you hate him all the more.

Red Skull was a great villain, but there definitely wasn't that same motivation engaging an audience to feel a certain way about him. I think he needed to be more personally involved in things. I mean

Kruger kills Erskine, not Skull, and then Cap defeats Kruger. The Bucky falls off a train. By the time Cap is confronted by Skull towards the end, it feels like they've had almost no interaction at all nor does it feel like Cap has anything really personal against him. Personally, I think Bucky's death would have held more weight if it was at the hands of Red Skull himself. When Bucky fell, it felt so out of place, like they hardly got any time to kick ass together as Cap n Bucky before he was obviously 'displaced' to return in a sequel. I just think if Skull had killed Bucky, that whole end fight scene would have carried much more emotional weight, but still, all in all, I enjoyed it. I think it just made Red Skull come across as 'the bad guy' rather than a personal nemesis, which is very much what Shaw was to Mags.

It annoys me how some critics have been saying all these films are just prequels for the Avengers and nothing more. But the upcoming film did do some harm to Red Skull I think. We all know that he will eventually be defeated and that CA will wake up in modern times and become and Avenger. Yes I know that is a problem with most movie villains, but I just felt no menace at all. Weaving was good (the accent was excellent I thought, much more subtle than Tucci) but he just wasn't a threat.

thanks for all the praise guys. I try mein hardest

You guys see this?

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi180657177/

Pretty cool featurette.

That is pretty cool and has some good footage too. I can see something like this expanded for a special feature on the home release.

In other news, Red Skull was great! I think he's crawling his way up on my great-villain movie chart because he was not a villain we could sympathize with! He wasn't someone who was a nice guy and after some bad luck goes bad. I appreciate that, even though a lot may say he has no depth we need some more evil archetypes (As long as it's not overdone and he/she isn't just a symbol).

Just realized...Hugo Weaving looks strikingly similar to my grandfather lol. His facial expressions match my grandpa's too. I'm in shock right now.

Last edited:
Just realized...Hugo Weaving looks strikingly similar to my grandfather lol. His facial expressions match my grandpa's too. I'm in shock right now.

You mean Weaving's normal look or when he's the Skull? :wow:

:cwink:

shame...it's not loading on my computer. I wish Hugo was doing more talk show interviews and publicity for the film.

Does anyone else think that it looked like the cosmic cube transported the red skull to Asgard rather than kill him?

He is definitely not dead. If you're a comic book fan or saw Thor, it is obvious he was transported to either Asgard or a realm.

I can't see him in Asgard though because he would be a threat to the Asgardians and they would probably kill him right away lol.

I want to see him in an Asgardian cage lol.

Heimdall keeps him as a pet.

But seriously, I think he'd be in one of the other realms besides Asgard. Since Cap takes place before Thor and we hear no mention of him.

That'd be one angry pet. Red Skull is the kind of person who wouldn't be able to stay calm in a confined place haha

That'd be one angry pet. Red Skull is the kind of person who wouldn't be able to stay calm in a confined place haha

"Heimdall, what is this creature you keep caged?"
"I'm not sure... But I believe it's what the Midgardians call a chipmunk."

Hugo was wasted in this role I think. They could have done a bit more with him than just glower and melodramatically shoot people.

THANKS FOR POSTING! I loved the featurette and I agree with just about everything they said. I'd see the raw interview without the footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"