• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Official JLA discussion thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I skimmed Generations Lost and saw Captain Atom. Is he a regular in the book? If so, I'm so in it!

Pretty sure he is, since he was a big JLIer back in the day, I believe. You're a bit late, though, only about 2-3 months left on the title.

Captain Atom is a huge factor in Generation Lost. He and Booster are effectively co-leading the team.

Granted, I read a bunch from Booster's solo series and know fully that he's actually competant, but hearing that he's effectively leading a team sends a shiver of fear up my spine.

Heh, well, look at the JLI over the course of Generation Lost and you'll find they're not particularly effective. The story title of one issue where they were sneaking into Checkmate was literally, "Of Course They Get Caught!" :funny:

Captain Atom is a huge factor in Generation Lost. He and Booster are effectively co-leading the team.

See, that's like somebody giving you a steak and then covering it in cat poo. Booster Gold? :down:. I'll still look into it.

I don't know, the book was pretty good while I was reading it. Still seems solid.

I am digging Generation Lost still hoping we get a jli ongoing when this is finished

I hope Beetle is not really going to die though :csad:

See, that's like somebody giving you a steak and then covering it in cat poo. Booster Gold? :down:. I'll still look into it.
Who hates Booster Gold? He's like the comic book equivalent of parfait. Everybody loves parfait!

I too enjoy Booster and Onions, but I loathe parfait with every ounce of my being.

Ditto, Mysti. Something's wrong with the rest of these suckas. :up:

Here's something I thought was pretty neat: apparently Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers series was originally meant to be a Justice League series, only in the vain of Marvel's Avengers.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/02/12/comic-book-legends-revealed-300-part-2/

COMIC LEGEND: Grant Morrison’s Seven Soldiers was originally going to be a Justice League mini-series based on the Avengers!

Ben Hansom runs a Grant Morrison fan site called Deep Space Transmissions. It is quite a great site for Morrison fans.
On his site, Ben has a great story about the origin of Morrison’s Seven Soldiers project.

You see, originally, it was going to be a Justice League project titled JL8!
The notion was that having already done the “Big Seven” Justice League in JLA...
that now Morrison wanted to do a book closer to the “Detroit Justice League,” with lesser-known characters but also doing the book in the style of the Avengers, as Avengers is interesting in that while it was obviously created to be Marvel’s version of the “Big Seven” Justice League, Stan Lee very quickly turned it into something more closely resembling the “Detroit Justice League” approach, only with characters that caught on with fans a lot better than the Detroit JLA.
Characters like Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and the Vision that do not work well outside of the Avengers, but make the book itself work.
So Morrison’s project was intended to be a riff on both those concepts, but specifically he wanted to have characters represent classic Avengers characters.
With that in mind, his original proposed team consisted of:

The Guardian, as the Captain America of the group

The Enchantress, as the Scarlet Witch of the group. Enchantress was in Shadowpact, though, at the time, so Morrison went with Zatanna, instead.

Mister Miracle of the New Gods, as the Thor of the group.

The Demon, as the Hulk of the group (for it to work, Morrison was going to go with a different take on the character). DC ultimately also decided not to let him use the Demon, either, so he went to another 1970s Kirby character, Etrigan the Witch-Boy.

The Spider, as the Hawkeye of the group.

Plus a new take on the Martian Manhunter that DC also decided he couldn’t do, so he instead went with the Frankenstein monster from the old Phantom Stranger back-ups. I don’t know who he was viewing the Manhunter as – perhaps the Vision?
Ultimately, of course, he decided to do the project as the Seven Soldiers, which is probably for the best, as it likely gave him a lot more freedom that dealing with something with “Justice League” in the title.

Thanks to Ben Hansom and, of course, Grant Morrison, for the information (Here’s a quote from Morrison that he gave to Jen Contino back in 2006, “I started off in 2002 with the idea to do a JLA spin-off called JL8, which featured a bunch of C-list characters getting together as a DC analogue of the Avengers or Ultimates. Guardian was in from the start as my Captain America guy, Mister Miracle was Thor, The Demon was the Hulk, Zatanna was the Scarlet Witch and so on. As I developed from this basic premise it soon became clear that the concept was turning into something a lot bigger and more ambitious than a simple DC version of the Avengers. I worked on the material for the next two years to turn it into the Seven Soldiers concept as it finally emerged.”)!

That is pretty neat I would have dug seeing how Morrison would have wrote Etrigan

I'm glad he didn't get to turn the Martian Manhunter into Frankenstein or whatever. I wonder if that's why he offed him in Final Crisis. "You could've been interesting if my editor let me write you, you green bastard!" :funny:

:funny:

Not being allowed to write Martian Manhunter fills him with Brooklyn Rage

Morrison's written a decent Martian Manhunter in the past. Not sure why he'd want to change him.

It seems like Morrison likes concepts more than characters to me sometimes. He does handle characters well, but he'll occasionally twist them around to fit whatever concept he has rather than worry about consistency.

True. Sometimes it works though. Animal Man, in particular, was greatly improved thanks to Morrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"