• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

Comics Official X-MEN: LEGACY Discussion Thread

Technically she can walk on air in her ghost state.

Technically she can walk on air in her ghost state.
yeah its not quite flying. She doesnt have the speed or finesse that an actual flier does and she has to concentrate to do that

I'll be glad when this book finally ends. On a sidenote, that cover up there, is there ANY book where Beast was worn that Village People costume? He looks horrible.
its his Secret Avengers costume

You know, it's sad when I look at that cover. Putting them all together, that is one fantastic group of X-Men. Could you imagine how awesome it'd be if all of those people were together, acting like a family like in the old days. This could be a fantastic era/team of X-Men, but unfortunately they've been a military unit for 5 or 6 years, then fractioned and always fighting with each other. Before House of M they were just sorta together with no rhyme or reason, each writer and book focusing on a team with no real connection to the other members on other teams, etc.

I miss the family.

If the Rogue fan-fic wasn't enough to push me away I think it's safe to say I'm officially dropping X-Men Legacy come October.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/x-men-legacy-marvel-now-official.html

On a sidenote, if this is an attempt of streamlining the X-books (give us only All New X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, and I guess Uncanny Avengers) then I'm all for it.

Last edited:
Alongside the official Marvel NOW! Captain America announcement, the X-Men lineup gets refreshed with a bit of a surprise Friday morning. The Marvel NOW! X-Men: Legacy title is the most drastically different of the November relaunches so far, abandoning the team cast led by Rogue and replacing it with Professor Xavier's fractured son Legion. Legion has a huge array of psychic-based abilities, from telekinesis to pyrokinesis, from teleportation to time travel; the kicker, though, is that he's also completely fractured, and each of his myriad abilities is controlled by a corresponding personality... and they're not all very nice.

Si Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat are the creative team for the new title, marking Spurrier's first ongoing for Marvel Comics. The writer spoke with MTV Geek in his first interview, revealing more about the legion of possibilities (sorry) for the newest X-title.

The title's modus operandi won't drastically shift, though the lead character obviously has.

"In the past the title has been principally preoccupied with Xavier, then Magneto, then Rogue... Now it's David's turn," Spurrier told MTV Geek. "The whole point of doing things this way is that we get a really unique perspective on the Marvel Universe in general and its mutanty side in particular. I tend to think things take on a richer, more truthful flavour when they're being processed through a character's direct filter, and it opens the door (or in David's case, ha, doors) to a lot of interesting new stories."

David Haller's story will have him clashing with "familiar faces" from the X-Verse, but more importantly with familiar "concepts" from throughout the X-Men's history. As for David himself? Spurrier looks forward to trying to define exactly who he is, at his core.

"I hesitate to say too much about him because part of the journey we’ll be taking is about meeting this amazing guy properly for the first time," said the writer. "He’s got a fascinating setup: he’s one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe but he can’t trust his own brain. That’s a fantastic, and often spooky, tension."

Haller will pay homage to his Muir Island roots with a firmly Scottish accent, "sarcastic sniping" and "black gallows humor." Spurrier also sees him as a good guy overall, someone who wants "to make the world a better place."

"So, what’s his goal?" Spurrier poses of David.

"There’s obviously a redemptive arc in there, to cover all the horrible collateral damage he’s caused during his messy life. More importantly, there’s the practical consideration of how he can function in the real world without accidentally tearing the universe a new s#!thole. Again, I can’t say too much about that, but I think we’ve found a way to turn David’s personal torment into a dynamic, intense, relatable struggle."

On Marvel.com, Spurrier got deeper into the problems, and possibilities, of David as a character.

"You mentioned the multiple personality thing, and—yeah. Historically, that’s always been David’s “thing.” This guy has pretty much every conceivable power accessible to him, but each one is under the control of a separate dissociative personality, many of whom want nothing more than to take over control of the host," the writer told Marvel. "Different writers have handled that setup in very different ways, and that’s part of the problem of how best to approach writing David as a cool, proactive, interesting but empathetic character. Frankly, all too often in the past he’s been used as a walking, talking plot point: the Angry Young Liability, the Ticking Time Bomb, whatever. The real trick with this brand new start was to find a way to rationalize—and, yes, visualize—David’s mental condition, so it’s not just this Deus Ex Machina to be deployed whenever we need a problem or a solution. If we’ve done it right—and I think we have—it should provide just as much drama, conflict, action and explodo as the more classical “external” adventures our guy is off having at the same time."

As for oppostion, the writer is keeping coy about the big bad Legion will face, but assures readers it is very bad.

"Yes. Yes, there is. But I can’t say who it is. Or what it is. Or where it is, or where it comes from. But it’s... yeah. It’s pretty nasty. And you won’t see it coming."

X-Men-Legacy-marvel-now-1.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/x-men-legacy-marvel-now-official.html

Really glad the Rogue fan fic is over, but i was really hoping the book would become a team book with a purpose.

I mean, was anyone really clamouring for a Legion solo?

I have to say when Carey 1st took this book over and had Rogue's team on it, I really liked it, he really used the other characters even though you knew he loved Rogue. Gage promised so much, look at the characters we had, Rachel and Bobby for example but then suddenly they vanished and Rogue took over. This book has he word Legacy in it who better to focus on than Xavier's other legacy eg his son.

Carey pipped my interest in him as did his appearance in New Mutants. I want to see how this guy fits into the world, he has a mental illness but adding to that stigma he has a X gene which adds another stigma onto him. This is the guy responsible for the AOA, I would love to see him vist the universe he essentially created. Recently his personalities have been caged or murdered, I want to know how that affects him.

Getting to my point Legacy is a good rotating solo book for characters who may or my not get enough pages in the other books.

My goodness the last Legacy was the worst one since Gage took over. Its strictly a solo Rogue story with her placed on a warring world of cat and bug people and having to fend for herself. No really thats the plot.

Just read it, yeah that was horrible. The next one will probably be just as bad. Carey and Gage have successfully ruined Rogue for me.

Just read it, yeah that was horrible. The next one will probably be just as bad. Carey and Gage have successfully ruined Rogue for me.
which is sad bc Carey revitalized my interest in Rogue when he first wrote X-men v3. Legacy ruined her for me

XMENLG2012001_DC11_NEW.jpg

XMENLG2012001_DC21.jpg

X-MEN: LEGACY #1 & #2
SIMON SPURRIER (W) • TAN ENG HUAT (A)
Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO
Variant Cover by KAARE ANDREWS (Issue #1)
Young Baby Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG
Blank Cover Variant Also Available (#1)
Variant Cover by TBA (#2)
Legion, the most powerful and unstable mutant in the world and son to Professor Charles Xavier, has killed gods and reshaped the face of the universe. NOW! in the aftermath of Avengers vs. X-Men, Legion will finally attempt to conquer his demons and embrace his father’s legacy!
32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)

prv13319_cov.jpg

prv13319_pg1.jpg

prv13319_pg2.jpg

prv13319_pg3.jpg

prv13319_pg4.jpg

prv13319_pg5.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #272
Christos Gage (w)
Rafa Sandoval (a)
cover by MARK BROOKS
• Trapped in another world and in the clutches of the terrifying Swarm, Rogue struggles to stay alive long enough to find a way home!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

prv13537_cov.jpg

prv13537_pg1.jpg

prv13537_pg2.jpg

prv13537_pg3.jpg

prv13537_pg4.jpg

X-MEN LEGACY #273
Christos Gage (w)
Rafa Sandoval (a)
Cover by MARK BROOKS
• Trapped in another world and caught in the middle of a war between two alien tribes, Rogue races to end the conflict and find a way home!
• And with the Phoenix poised to raze the Earth, will Rogue make it back in time to aid her fellow X-Men?
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

Yeah, my buddy and I get a kick out of how terrible this title has been since Gage took over.

"But Gage is such a great writer!" Yeah, about as great as Paul Cornell and Kieron Gillen are.

I've liked much of what Gage had done prior to this, Idk what went wrong. It's even more Rogue fanfic-y than when Carey was on.

Carey's writing was class-act and competent. Rogue was an absolute non-issue for me. But then, this is the man who writes The Unwritten, as opposed to whatever other crap Gage has written.

I've read some of Gage's stuff, but never been very impressed with it. The only exception to that statement is his work on the Siege tie-in issues of Avengers: The Initiative that I read, where he did a heck of a good job with Taskmaster. His name was attached to G.I. Joe: Cobra, but that was all Mike Costa there, who continues to write the best G.I. Joe book over at IDW... and then stunk up Blackhawks at DC, somehow managing to mess up a book that was essentially G.I. Joe in the DCU.

Some writers, man.

I have fallen behind on Legacy for a while now. What is wrong with Rogue's characterization/story arc?

All it is is "here is a threat. What do we do? No worries. Rogue will save the day!" The end.

It's supposed to be a team book and hasn't felt like that in a long time now. Rogue routinely saves the day; often by herself with other people's powers to add insult to injury. Now in this current arc, she's off in some other world going World War Hulk on the place.

Unfortunately this book is worse than when Carey wrote it. I didnt think Carey wrote a bad book, I just hated the heavy focus on Rogue. I thought he still wrote some decent stories like Reconstruction, the trip to India and AoX for example. I dont think Gage has written a good story since he took over, at least none of them have been particularly interesting to me

The first story had a slight peek of promise, but that went away pretty quickly. The initial AvX tie-in started off fine and in a place that made narrative sense, but then the sense boiled away and left a pan lining of Gage clearly not knowing what the **** to do with his characters in a fight, so it turned into pro-wrestling jobbing* until Rogue could save the day.

*just for you, Spoonsie!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"