Panini UK Does Spider-Man Right

Yeah, having a family team working together? Geez, and the stories that came about from them like Galactus?

I tell you, that sort of originality, and drama he used to pump out makes me wish I was alive back then.

Or his Thor stories. :up: Am I right? Huh? :)

All right, even I'll admit that those weren't all that great. :(

Yeah, having a family team working together? Geez, and the stories that came about from them like Galactus?

I tell you, that sort of originality, and drama he used to pump out makes me wish I was alive back then.

Word. :up:

Stan Lee's stories don't read very well now-a-days. But it's the same with nearly ever writer from that era (to be fair I think the only writer that has half aged well is Eisner and even then you have people who go **** crazy about early Ebony White) even stuff like Green Lantern/Green Arrow which is normall credited as the invention of modern comics is a bit corney. It's easy to compare artistic talent from different Era's, Ditko, Kirby, Joe Kubert are all easily as good as artists now - but even their attempts at writing are usually rather dodgy.

Stan Lee did reinvent the industry, he did create a whole number of characters who are still incredibly popular, he sold much, much, much, much more comics to people than they sell now and he is credited in changed how people approached comicbook writing. To deny him all this is idiotic.

So what if he has got old, out of touch and just likes to spend days doing fun cameos in movies about his characters - the guy has done enough to warrent that.

You may not like the guy, hell I don't really like him after reading about him and watching documentaries but I damn sure respect him.

You're not basing that on the Searching For Ditko thing are you?

No not really, but I guess it's linked in.

Just the fact that apparently he has built up the biggest ego when he used to work for Marvel and when running it he wasn't the greatest guy.

Can't remember where now, but there are articles on the web about Stan during his heydays.

Interesting. Everyone that I've talked to who was able to sit down with him have said that he's incredibly nice.

Well I guess an opinion on someones personality is just based on your experience. Probably the most biased view you can have.

When he was the editor he is bound to have wronged some people who will obviously ***** about it as much as possible.

Anyone who's in a position above other people will never walk away unamiously well liked.

It may not seem like it now, but Spider-Man and the Hulk and the stories he told with them were revolutionary and just blew people's minds to oblivion.

We take that stuff for granted now.
Yes, we take all the early masters for granted now. It's just that I don't feel he deserves his rep as an early master.

Stan Lee's stories don't read very well now-a-days. But it's the same with nearly ever writer from that era (to be fair I think the only writer that has half aged well is Eisner and even then you have people who go **** crazy about early Ebony White) even stuff like Green Lantern/Green Arrow which is normall credited as the invention of modern comics is a bit corney. It's easy to compare artistic talent from different Era's, Ditko, Kirby, Joe Kubert are all easily as good as artists now - but even their attempts at writing are usually rather dodgy.
See, I don't feel that way at all, generally. I think Kirby is a wonderful writer of epics in the grand tradition of that style. While I despise, with a passion, the philosophy that Ditko espoused in works like Mr. A and The Question, he's a delightful writer to read. Eisner, whom you mention, was a master of the narrative craft, and his Contract With God is unbelievable, not to mention The Spirit and John Law. Jack Cole's Plastic Man is one of the greatest runs in comics ever.

yenaled said:
Stan Lee did reinvent the industry, he did create a whole number of characters who are still incredibly popular, he sold much, much, much, much more comics to people than they sell now and he is credited in changed how people approached comicbook writing. To deny him all this is idiotic.
That's not what I'm denying. He reinvented the industry, in what I see as an unhealthy way. I think the forced emotion and fake melodrama that he introduced to comics are a plague that still remain today. Superhero comics would have organically evolved into being more realistic, but he had to try and force things because he knew he could make a buck, and the result was shoddy craftsmanship on his part. Yes, his characters are popular, but frankly, I think most of them suck, and popularity isn't a gauge of quality. He sold a lot of comics, yes, and Britney Spears sells a lot of albums and merch. And yes, he is CREDITED with a lot--but he doesn't deserve it.

Interesting. Everyone that I've talked to who was able to sit down with him have said that he's incredibly nice.
Rob Liefeld is supposedly a nice guy too, but a real dick as a professional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"