Penny Dreadful - Part 1

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/sho...from-‘skyfall’-duo-john-logan-and-sam-mendes/
Showtime Lands High-Concept Drama From ‘Skyfall’ Duo John Logan And Sam Mendes
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: On the heels of their movie Skyfall smashing worldwide box office records as the highest-grossing James Bond pic of all time and landing the franchise’s first Oscar nominations in 30 years, the film’s co-writer John Logan and director Sam Mendes are headed to Showtime. I’ve learned that the pay cable network, flying high on the critical success of original drama Homeland, has landed the duo’s high-concept drama project, which Logan and Mendes took out to premium cable networks in November as a spec written by Logan. Deals are still being finalized but I hear that the project is eyeing a straight-to-series order at Showtime, with Logan and Mendes executive producing and Mendes expected to direct. The untitled drama, which has undergone some tweaking from the original spec to tailor it to the Showtime audiences, is described as a psychological horror drama series with literary underpinnings, including Dr. Frankenstein and his creature, set in the 1800s. This would mark both Logan and Mendes’ series debut. They are executive producing the show with Pippa Harris, Mendes’ partner at Neal Street Prods.

A couple of weeks ago, Skyfall became the first movie in the 50-year history of the James Bond franchise to cross the $1 billion worldwide box office mark. Tipped as a potential best picture contender, the movie missed out on the top category but landed five Oscar nominations yesterday, including best song for Adele’s Skyfall. Logan is far from done with Bond – he already has been tapped to write the next two installments, Bond 24 and 25. Meanwhile, Mendes was the first Oscar winner to direct a Bond pic with Skyfall.

Mendes and Logan share a stage background. Mendes was a top theater director and Logan an accomplished playwright before they segued to feature directing/writing. Logan has been nominated for three Oscars for co-writing Gladiator, and scripting Hugo and The Aviator. His work also includes Rango, Coriolanus, Sweeney Todd, The Last Samurai and Any Given Sunday, and he won the Tony, Drama Desk and Outer Critic Circle awards for his play Red. Mendes won an Oscar for his feature directorial debut, American Beauty. His directing credits also include Revolutionary Road and Away We Go. Both are repped by CAA.

Guilt. Ethan is dealing with massive guilt and he doesn't know how to handle it. I think when we learn more about his relationship with his father, it will become more clear.

I sure hope so! I'd love an Ethan-centric episode like the Vanessa one we got this season. Also, come to think of it, I don't think he even know fully yet what being a Hound of God is. I think he only heard it when Sembene was making his death speech? :funny: While we're at it, I'd love a Malcolm/Sembene one set in Africa.

Ethan's vulnerable state leaves him ripe for Hecate seduction and manipulation. Hopefully, naked seduction and manipulation.

I just finished the second season and it was LIGHT YEARS better than the first. The first had great acting and atmosphere but NOTHING HAPPENED. It was so mind bogglingly slow I couldn't take.

I'm so thankful that the same can not be said about the second season. The characters actually interacted and all the storylines joined together. Also the plot moved along and there were several points of action; and even a little levity. The other main improvement was actually letting us see the villains' point of view. That was severely lacking in the first season, which was basically "Vanessa and Her Amazing Friends Hanging Around a Mansion".

Now how do they make season 3 even better? One word: Dracula. They teased his presence pretty heavily (the brother of Lucifer destined to live forever on Earth and feed on mortals in the night) now it's time to deliver!

I hope we see Dracula soon. That would be something to see as things unfold around our gang :)

Dracula would be cool but they've already set up Dorian Gray and Lilly as the big bads for next season and I don't know how they reasonably include all of those characters plus the new literary icon.

In a recent interview, when asked if Lily and Dorian would be the Big Bads of season 3, Logan's response was "Yes and No," so perhaps there are a few threats going on at the same time.

Either that, or perhaps Dracula unites them, along with Hecate as a singular threat. I do trust Logan whatever he choices to do.

In a recent interview, when asked if Lily and Dorian would be the Big Bads of season 3, Logan's response was "Yes and No," so perhaps there are a few threats going on at the same time.

Either that, or perhaps Dracula unites them, along with Hecate as a singular threat. I do trust Logan whatever he choices to do.

I could see that. It would fit into the whole "immortals above humans" theme that Lily and Dorian were espousing.

Just saw the finale. Nobody does a witches-evil chant like Eva Green! :awesome:

I wonder if next season will take place in several countries, with a few of the characters heading to Africa, the US and the North Pole(?) in the finale...?

Just saw the finale. Nobody does a witches-evil chant like Eva Green! :awesome:

I wonder if next season will take place in several countries, with a few of the characters heading to Africa, the US and the North Pole(?) in the finale...?

It seems that way. I hope we'll get a flashback episode of Sir Malcolm and Sembene in Africa. Learn a bit more about Sembene, even though he is dead now. And it would be nice to see Danny Sapani again, even for just one episode.

I know right? I like everything that Eva does cause she is so good :hrt:

I just finished the second season and it was LIGHT YEARS better than the first. The first had great acting and atmosphere but NOTHING HAPPENED. It was so mind bogglingly slow I couldn't take.

I'm so thankful that the same can not be said about the second season. The characters actually interacted and all the storylines joined together. Also the plot moved along and there were several points of action; and even a little levity. The other main improvement was actually letting us see the villains' point of view. That was severely lacking in the first season, which was basically "Vanessa and Her Amazing Friends Hanging Around a Mansion".

Now how do they make season 3 even better? One word: Dracula. They teased his presence pretty heavily (the brother of Lucifer destined to live forever on Earth and feed on mortals in the night) now it's time to deliver!

I thought this season had a pretty boring stretch of episodes (the ball, the one where Ethan and Vanessa were in the countryside, and maybe one other one). I mean, stuff only happened in those episodes at the very end.

Couple that with the tendency of the gang to get a serious case of the stupids towards the end of the season, and the incomprehensibility of the villains' plans (what were the witches going to do to Vanessa at the ball? What was the point of Evelyn seducing Sir Malcolm and making a doll of him?) and you have things that can be improved for next season.

I agree we need to see Dracula next season. Between him, Lily, Dorian, and maybe Hecate, next season is going to be stuffed with villains.

Theories
Is Ethan a werewolf from being bitten, heredity ( dad is very persistent wanting him back) , or cursed by say a Indian shaman.

Love that his real name is Lawrence Talbot, which was the Lon Chaney wolfmans name.

The Pinkerton with mauled face, he didn't show signs of being a wolfman

Opinions on origin?????

Theories
Is Ethan a werewolf from being bitten, heredity ( dad is very persistent wanting him back) , or cursed by say a Indian shaman.

Love that his real name is Lawrence Talbot, which was the Lon Chaney wolfmans name.

The Pinkerton with mauled face, he didn't show signs of being a wolfman

Opinions on origin?????

I like this idea of his condition having to do with Native Americans (not necessarily being cursed though), as it brings his story kind of full circle, with him already feeling guilty about taking part in the genocide. Also, it reminds me of Wendigo, another legendary bipedal beast-like creature which originated in America. It would tie two myths - European (presumably Celtic) and Native American in an interesting way.

yeah I always wonder why Ethan didn't turn into full wolf beast mode like some werewolves are...but if he's just supposed to look like a wolf man in the show, then man, thats still pretty darn good in the make up department and visual effects.

Do you think Ethan will turn into the werewolf? Or is that being saved for when Dracula shift shapes into one?

I don't think he'll go any more werewolfish than this. As you said, he looks like the classic wolf-man a lot, and I believe that's what they were going for.

do you think they'll go down the route where dracula in werewolf mode stalks Vanessa?

Hmm... there's something I haven't thought of...

Well, though he does have ability to transform into creatures such are bat and wolf in the Stoker's book, I don't think they'll have him transform into wolf in the show, as, given the presence of "wolf of God", I believe wolf is meant to be a symbol of the opposite force in this universe.

So, having them both be able to become wolf-like is is something I feel would take away from that particular aesthetic and meaning behind it. At least I wouldn't go for it, if I was writing the script. I'd make it an archetypal motif. And though there is a darkness to Ethan, I find that his nature at its core shouldn't be tied to any of two brothers - Lucifer or Dracula. If he is indeed chosen by the god, that is. I do find it odd, that a creature of god would be so dark and dangerous to innocents, though.

Well I guess, at least in terms of Lucifer and Dracula, they were both angels so perhaps in this universe angels are more akin to the attack dogs of God or something of that nature.

I mean, even in the Bram Stoker novel where Dracula's origins are only vaguely alluded to, he still seems to take pride in the past where he fought the Turks, so perhaps in the show they might have some carry over with that notion, that the angels take pride in inflicting divine retribution. Which might maybe explain why the Wolf of God is so bloodthirsty.

hmm okay. :( I just thought it would be an interesting scene...and then I just thought of another scene where just as Dracula gets it on with Vanessa she drives a stake through his heart :p

tumblr_nrbbmrlQvm1s389oyo4_500.gif

tumblr_nrbbmrlQvm1s389oyo5_500.gif

haha that was a good scene with Lyle. :) I wasn't sure about his character though but I am glad he's on the good side.

Well I guess, at least in terms of Lucifer and Dracula, they were both angels so perhaps in this universe angels are more akin to the attack dogs of God or something of that nature.

I mean, even in the Bram Stoker novel where Dracula's origins are only vaguely alluded to, he still seems to take pride in the past where he fought the Turks, so perhaps in the show they might have some carry over with that notion, that the angels take pride in inflicting divine retribution. Which might maybe explain why the Wolf of God is so bloodthirsty.

:doh: Idiot. That's what I am. They do come from the same origin, from god. Of course, there is a question whether darkness of Lucifer and Dracula are result of their post-heaven existence or was it there before... archangels, angels of retribution, are a nice idea... and, in truth, if one opens a bible it can easily be seen that angles and god are far from being depicted as merciful, like we tend to view them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"