Dark Phoenix Phoenix must be destroyed!" The Official Lilandra Thread

have u seen any photo showing real promise for Storm and Kurt?
no. there you have a big hint of their roles in this movie.

what about Jubilee and Psylocke? nothing either, right? well, there you have 4 x-men characters that wont have a good role once again. Try to defend that now if you can

I think this debate if Simon is a good writer / director is complex
if you look at other directors and writers, let's see a list of hits and big failures,Almost none can maintain a quality sequence in their works
avengers directors have great failures in some jobs
no one hoped that joss whedon and chris terrio would go wrong both in league of justice
this will be simon's chance to show his quality as a director and prove to everyone that he can do something good again after DOFP, but we can not advance the result, it's totally unpredictable

Last edited:
probally in small role.

Yes, probably
but it's all very quiet and secret, so we do not even know if evan peters is going to have a big part in the movie, I think we'll just be sure when we leave the first trailer and more news and pictures.
as we will not have wolverine, I hope at least storm has more screen time. but I remain without expectation of this I prefer to wait.

what about Jubilee and Psylocke? nothing either, right? well, there you have 4 x-men characters that wont have a good role once again. Try to defend that now if you can

Have we seen a photo promising Magneto a big role? Not really we just all know it to be true.

Personally, I will just say that a Dark Phoenix story should focus on Jean, Scott, and Xavier among the X-Men. Yes, I hope the others have good roles and scenes, but those are the three most important characters in a Phoenix story, and the photos back that up.

So you turn your attention to characters who would always be secondary in a Phoenix Saga (or aren't in it like Jubilee and probably Psylocke) to sharpen the knife about a movie we frankly know little about.

Have we seen a photo promising Magneto a big role? Not really we just all know it to be true.

Personally, I will just say that a Dark Phoenix story should focus on Jean, Scott, and Xavier among the X-Men. Yes, I hope the others have good roles and scenes, but those are the three most important characters in a Phoenix story, and the photos back that up.

So you turn your attention to characters who would always be secondary in a Phoenix Saga (or aren't in it like Jubilee and probably Psylocke) to sharpen the knife about a movie we frankly know little about.

with impending sale to disney i wish those who only care about mcu would allow xmcu fans to enjoy in dark phoenix thread final most likely full x-men film of xmcu.

dark phoenix should focus anyway on xavier,jean,and cyclops.

even in comic version story and nightcrawler were supporting characters.

jubilee probally isn't in film.psylocke may be in film but only for small role.

This is a bizarre statement in a franchise where Cyclops, Jean et al are not "X-men: First Class" (though Mystique is and is supposedly one of a handful of people who came up with the name X-men *snicker*) and where Archangel plays second (or fourth!) fiddle to Magneto as a Horseman of Apocalypse.

I guess Nightcrawler and Storm have bigger roles than Beast and Quicksilver this time, so that’s an improvement.

1) Here we have Simon Kinberg himself (the guy who's directing, writing and producing this movie) expressing his star-driven vision of the franchise. He makes clear what kind of roles he gives for McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence. There are more interviews of him saying stuff like that, but I only found this one.

2) He has expressed that Eric is by far he's favorite character.

3) They promoted Dark Phoenix talking mostly about Jean and the FC trio. Fassbender's Eric is getting his own storyline with Genosha when Jean looks for refuge, which is a lovely flashback to X3 (written also by Kinberg) where they added the Cure storyline to give Mckellen's Eric his relevant role.

4) Fassbender inked an expensive deal to be in Dark Phoenix.

Do we need a pic to understand if Fassbender is getting a big role?

I think this debate if Simon is a good writer / director is complex
if you look at other directors and writers, let's see a list of hits and big failures,Almost none can maintain a quality sequence in their works
avengers directors have great failures in some jobs
no one hoped that joss whedon and chris terrio would go wrong both in league of justice
this will be simon's chance to show his quality as a director and prove to everyone that he can do something good again after DOFP, but we can not advance the result, it's totally unpredictable

Complex?

Kinberg doesn't have a 50/50 track record. He's a bad writer that managed to have 1 film with a certified fresh rt rating.

Anyway, its fine if you want to give him another chance. Personally speaking, I see this is a train wreck in the making. By October or November or the week reviews come out, don't forget me to say I told you so.

This is a bizarre statement in a franchise where Cyclops, Jean et al are not "X-men: First Class" (though Mystique is and is supposedly one of a handful of people who came up with the name X-men *snicker*) and where Archangel plays second (or fourth!) fiddle to Magneto as a Horseman of Apocalypse.

Not really. The central focus of a Phoenix story should be Jean, Scott, and Xavier. Possibly Wolverine too in a fourth place. To bring up how the Four Horsemen are mishandled is negligible. If the goal is to do the Dark Phoenix story right this time, then the focus is probably not going to be on characters like Jubilee and Nightcrawler. Although if you're asking do I wish Jubilee was present? Sure. But if she has nothing to do in it, then I am fine with reducing it to the core group.

1) Here we have Simon Kinberg himself (the guy who's directing, writing and producing this movie) expressing his star-driven vision of the franchise. He makes clear what kind of roles he gives for McAvoy, Fassbender and Lawrence. There are more interviews of him saying stuff like that, but I only found this one.

2) He has expressed that Eric is by far he's favorite character.

3) They promoted Dark Phoenix talking mostly about Jean and the FC trio. Fassbender's Eric is getting his own storyline with Genosha when Jean looks for refuge, which is a lovely flashback to X3 (written also by Kinberg) where they added the Cure storyline to give Mckellen's Eric his relevant role.

4) Fassbender inked an expensive deal to be in Dark Phoenix.

Do we need a pic to understand if Fassbender is getting a big role?

we dont need a pic, we already have 2 pics released on the same first magazine cover of this movie. and one big close up of Mystique, like if these are the main players. Cyclops didnt even get one close up, neither we can see his face on that first "team" pic.

so we have gotten 2 magazine articles, and no close up pic of Cyclops, Storm, Nightcrawler, Beast, Jubilee, Quicksilver or Psylocke.

but hey, we have 2 Michael Fasssbender pics. Why? obviously because Kinberg and Fox mostly care about him, next to Jennifer and Mcavoy to some extent.

Is this an exciting start for such an iconic movie (second attempt)?
no, it isnt.

I can understand why people would have great concern on this film.

I also can understand why people want to be excited.

If the movie does well that doesn't hurt anything, but if it performs and/or is received around X-men: Apocalypse level, that won't be good.

Guess we will see.

How is that clear when he's both writing and directing for this film?

It's not like Kinberg is some spring chicken whose past works we can't judge when it comes to being a writer. He has a track record. So we can already form our opinions that way. Not only that we've already seen what he can do to these same characters.

He has no other writers credited or associated with the movie either. I'd say that was a pretty unique situation.

There's a fairly obvious reason why only a few "talents" attempt to be multi-hyphenate writer-directors (-producers). It's a hard job. Most people would tend to perfect the former before they attempt to do the latter. Kinberg is not most people. :hehe:

Look I'm not saying no one han have a doom amd gloom opinion on Kinberg but must it be brought up every 32 seconds even if it has nothing to do with a conversation? Choosing yo be cautiously optimistic when everything I've seen so far is at least intriguing I don't think is a bad way to do it either.

You said it yourself he's both writing and directing for this film. If anything, most/all conversations about this film inevitably comes back to Kinberg. The dialogue, the way an actor delivers a line, the plot, the costumes, the look of the film, the on set decisions. It's ultimately up to him.

People complaining why we are always bring up Kinberg. Why? Are you guys embarrassed of him?

Last edited:
Not really. The central focus of a Phoenix story should be Jean, Scott, and Xavier. Possibly Wolverine too in a fourth place. To bring up how the Four Horsemen are mishandled is negligible. If the goal is to do the Dark Phoenix story right this time, then the focus is probably not going to be on characters like Jubilee and Nightcrawler. Although if you're asking do I wish Jubilee was present? Sure. But if she has nothing to do in it, then I am fine with reducing it to the core group.

A few rebuttals:

Should be and reality with this franchise, more often than not, have been two completely different things;

I have seen no indication from Kinberg (unless I've missed an interview) where he's mentioned that Cyclops is a central focus of this film;

Even if he did promise, there's no guarantees he delivers on said promise. See most of his previous interviews. See mea culpas after movie's release;

If a villain like Mystique can have a lead role in an X-men: First Class (and a fourth lead role in the franchise), who are you to say that the Jubilees, the Psylockes and the Nightcrawlers of the world shouldn't be lead characters?

Chastain's new haircut

DmsEOd_X0AEuFOs.jpg

DmsEPAbW0AACvYr.jpg

Jessica is just so amazing at doing icy. God I would be so much more excited if they would just confirm she’s playing Lilandra

Her small part in the trailer was one of the highlights for me. Very promising.

Question. If Chastain is Lilandra, why is she trying to manipulate Jean Grey?

We could assume some kind of intergalactic power struggle. But she's not Lilandra, unless we're being lied to.

The central focus of a Phoenix story should be Jean, Scott, and Xavier.

It should've been, but it's Eric there instead and the Phoenix storyline used as a ring for both Charles and Eric. =(

Anyway, I think Chastain is playing an original character that serves as an amalgam for some of the characters from the comics. She is just Agent Smith.

And those leaked spoilers really does seem to be true, with those evidence seen in the trailer.

Jessica was signed to play Lilandra, guys, but Kinberg changed the identity/race of the character in pre-production/production (not clear).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"