Iron Man 3 Rank the 3rd CBM's in a franchise.

Squaremaster316

Civilian
Reaction score
Combination poll/rating.

Despite numerous franchises based on comics, only a handful have managed to make it to a 3rd film and beyond.

Based on those that have made it, which 3rd entry is your favorite?

Along with your fave, what is your rating for each of them?

For me:

Dark Knight Rises: [****] - [****1/4] depending on my mood.
Batman Forever: [**3/4]
Superman Returns: [**1/2] (If you ask Singer and Donner, it counts)
Spider-Man 3: [**1/2]
X-Men 3: [**]
Superman 3: [*1/4]

I understand including "Superman 3" on there, but what was "Superman Returns" the third installment of....? :huh:

You also left out my personal favorite third CBM installment: Blade Trinity.

I think he included Superman Returns because that movie ignored the events of Supermans 3 and 4, making it an alternate continuity Supes 3.

Also, doesn't TDKR just punch all the other listed movies in the balls? It was certainly the best out of this lot for my money (Though I haven't seen Spidey 3, to be fair)

Edit: Adding ratings

TDKR: Darn good
X3: Awful
SR: Boring
BF: I liked it at the time, but now I can see how its success inevitably led us to B&R, and for that it cannot be forgiven)
S3: The one with Richard Pryor, right? Awful
S-M3: I don't think I've heard anything good about this movie.
Blade Trinity: Haven't seen this one either, but Mr. Cherokeesam's post above mine is the first I've ever seen of someone liking it.

Last edited:
While TDKR is probably the best technically, Batman Forever is the most enjoyable for myself. TDKR is too convoluted for me to appreciate it more so.

I personally think that the final film of CBM trilogies have been pretty terrible

Dark Knight Rises - 7/10
Batman Forever - 4.5/10
X-Men 3 - 3/10
Blade Trinity - 2.5/10
Superman 3 - 2/10
Spider-Man 3 - 1/10

I don't count Superman Returns, but if I did, it'd be just above Spider-Man 3.

To me, Blade Trinity and Superman 3 had the same problem... introduce an comedic actor (Ryan Reynolds and Richard Pryor respectively) and "utilize" there comedic "value" way too much. They turned both movies into pathetic semi-comedies to me.

I'm willing to bet that Iron Man 3 will blow them all out of the water.

Dark Knight Rises - 10/10
Batman Forever - 6/10
X-Men 3 - 5/10
Blade Trinity - havent seen it
Superman 3 - havent seen it
Spider-Man 3 - 7/10

TDKR is leagues above the other comic book movie threequels.

Obviously this is a no brainer.

Hopefully Iron Man 3 knocks it out of the park as well.

TDKR is the obvious choice in this poll, but Iron Man 3 will be a huge contender for that position in May.

This isn't exactly the cream of the crop, but TDKR is easily the best. It had a buncha problems, mostly in the script, but at least they seemed like they actually gave a ****, which is already more than I can say for the others (other than SR I guess, but that was ultra-boring and too dependent on nostalgia for the Reeve series that I never had).

Hoping IM3 breaks the "third is always weakest" superhero movie trend. They did already break the "second is always better" trend, I suppose. :hehe:

Last edited:
This isn't exactly the cream of the crop, but TDKR is easily the best. It had a buncha problems, mostly in the script, but at least they seemed like they actually gave a ****, which is already more than I can say for the others (other than SR I guess, but that was ultra-boring and too dependent on nostalgia for the Reeve series that I never had).

Hoping IM3 breaks the "third is always weakest" superhero movie trend. They did already break the "second is always better" trend, I suppose. :hehe:
Haha, nice one.

Haven't seen Dark Knight Rises. All the other ones are crap.:doh: I ended up voting for Batman Forever since I liked it as a kid.

I hope this isn't a sign for Iron Man 3 because all of those third installations have some serious problems. TDKR is probably the best, but it had some quite significant problems so it stands out less on it's own merits and more on how bad the rest are.

I haven't seen Superman Returns, but that's because I'm no big fan of Superman and I was told by the only fan of him I know that the movie sucked.

I am apparently a part of an extremely tiny minority who loves Superman Returns. That is one of the few movies where I wouldn't change a single thing. All the others in the poll are pretty bad.

One of the reasons I am excited for Iron Man 3 is that I think this is the first time in a franchise where someone better was hired to complete the trilogy. I like Favreau's films but I just plain think Shane Black is more talented. I'm really glad Marvel did this; I don't think the same director should make more than 2 movies in a series. They just seem to run out of steam by the time the third one roles around.

Mjölnir;25102695 said:
I hope this isn't a sign for Iron Man 3 because all of those third installations have some serious problems. TDKR is probably the best, but it had some quite significant problems so it stands out less on it's own merits and more on how bad the rest are.

I haven't seen Superman Returns, but that's because I'm no big fan of Superman and I was told by the only fan of him I know that the movie sucked.

I think IM3 has an advantage, because IM2 was judged by many to be not as good as the first film, where films like Spider-man 2, X2 and the Dark Knight, were viewed as better than their first installments.

They saved IM's greatest villain for last, and they saved a fan favorite story line, Extremis, for the final installment.

We'll see what happens.

Of the films listed, I'd have to say The Dark Knight Rises, although watching it again on BluRay, I do not think it's a very good movie, and in many cases rests on the laurels of the other two installments. There's some scenes that are just so over the top stupid and rediculous, they aren't any better than Emo Peter Parker dancing down the street. Like the cops bull rushing a bunch of tanks, with the one guy in his dress blues, because Gordon told him he didn't expect him to show up like that, or Talia's horrible death scene. I love the first two installments, but TDKR really is not a very good movie.

yeah that's right... i voted X3.. it was the least bad of the ones up there (And thats not saying much)

TDKR is the only real movie on that list, hopefully IM3 can join it in May.

out of that set only Rises is really any good. I still like sm3 tho lol

yeah that's right... i voted X3.. it was the least bad of the ones up there (And thats not saying much)

I think X3 gets a bad rep, mainly because of killing off some major characters, but it was not a bad movie. I voted for DKR, but X3 by far had more serious subject material, and doesn't have near as many groan worthy moments as DKR.

hey is it too late to change my vote? ;)

TDKR isn't exactly "easily" the best of that list. At least Spider-Man 3, X-Men 3, and Batman forever were entertaining. TDKR wasn't that good and on top of that it was boring and anticlimactic. That said, it probably is the best of the bunch mainly due to the acting, direction, cinematography and score.

I'm still waiting for a decent third CBM. All of them sucked. I hope IM3 will break that curse

I think IM3 has an advantage, because IM2 was judged by many to be not as good as the first film, where films like Spider-man 2, X2 and the Dark Knight, were viewed as better than their first installments.

They saved IM's greatest villain for last, and they saved a fan favorite story line, Extremis, for the final installment.

We'll see what happens.

I agree, I see IM3 like Indiana Jones 3, Ocean's Thirteen and Skyfall, meaning like Iron Man 2, those franchises second movies weren't as loved as the first one, and the third ones were viewed as great as the first movie.

IM3 will be Last Crusade to IM2s TOD and IM1s Raiders. Or the Skyfall of the trilogy. I think Tony is a good comparison to Indy and Bond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"