World Rank the Spider-Man movies

1. Spider-Man 2
2. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
3. The Amazing Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man 1
5. Spider-Man 3

SM3 is only ranked last because Avi Arad forced Sam Raimi to cram Venom into a story that really didn't have room for him, because the film isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be and does succeed in spite of Arad's meddling (although it doesn't live up to what it could've been).

I was watching Spider-Man yesterday and that movie really is exceptional. I am looking forward to watching 2 and 3 again since it has been a long time since I've seen those two. After I do, and after I see ASM2 again, I think I can make my ranking.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man
3. Spider-Man 3
4. The Amazing Spider-Man
5. The Amazing Spider-Man 2

SM3 is only ranked last because Avi Arad forced Sam Raimi to cram Venom into a story that really didn't have room for him

The film doesn't do justice to the story of the comic Eddie Brock, no. But Spider-Man 3 is about Peter fighting his old corruption and hubris, represented by the symbiote. Peter just manages to escape from it's clutches before it turns him to the dark side completely. But the symbiote instead bonds with Eddie, Peter's arch rival who does not have his moral core - and they go after Spidey for revenge.

It's a perfectly logical climax to the story of Spider-Man 3.

Yeah the movie would have been fine with Harry and Sandman, and the forgiveness theme. But the symbiote plot puts Peter on a journey in which he needs to forgive himself also.

I'll just quote this post, as this is my order of preference as well. The new one was astonishingly bad.

It really is. I still don't know what the movie was supposed to be about. There's no real story to it, and Peter doesn't even learn anything, okay well he quits being Spider-Man and takes it back up, which in movie time is a few months, but takes up 5 (if that much) minutes of actual screen time. It's just a completely half baked movie, especially the whole Harry Osborn stuff.

Why is the ending a problem? I'd rather it end with Peter getting back out there than moping around and having to start the next movie deciding if he wants to be Spider-Man still for 45 minutes. I mean, that scene in itself shows he learned Spider-Man still has a job to do, regardless of what Peter Parker has to sacrifice.

It's just rushed, a montage of moping at Gwen's grave, watches her Graduation speech, "Welp I got to be Spider-Man again."

DigificWright I agree with what you say only I have sm 3 and sm1 swapped.

I used to hold the opinion that 3 was better than 1, it has a lot more to enjoy (but also more to irritate you), but I was so impressed with SM1 when I watched it this week, it is near the top of my list. Which I won't officially make till I go see ASM2 a second time.

It's just rushed, a montage of moping at Gwen's grave, watches her Graduation speech, "Welp I got to be Spider-Man again."

Fair enough, it might have been quick considering the actual screen time between those events, but like you said, the movie shows you it has been a decent length of time he is out of commission. I just don't think depressed Peter is something they needed to dwell on. Especially considering Peter usually has at least 3 things to be bummed about on any given day, haha.

Last edited:
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 3
Spider-Man 2
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

The Amazing Spider-Man

Fair enough, it might have been quick considering the actual screen time between those events, but like you said, the movie shows you it has been a decent length of time he is out of commission. I just don't think depressed Peter is something they needed to dwell on. Especially considering Peter usually has at least 3 things to be bummed about on any given day, haha.

Except this series hasn't really done any hard luck Parker. One of the great things about Peter Parker is his everyman quality, he can defeat a supervillain and save the city, but it's the mundane things that causes him his defeats/troubles. Really the worst things that have happened to him (outside of the deaths) is he has to stop a robber while he has the flu.

The two deaths are the biggest things, the flu scene was a nice nod to some old school Stan Lee moments. There are a few more though, like the girl in part 1 who just wants him to take pictures for her boyfriend, being forgetful and unable to help May with mundane tasks due to being Spider-Man, the public perception of Spider-Man.

Those latter two are probably the most defining "down on his luck" Parker. I can admit that so far in the new franchise those moments aren't at the forefront of the drama, compared to what we've seen in the previous films. Some of it is just implied, or mentioned off hand.

1. Spider-man 2
2. Spider-man
3. The Amazing Spider-man 2
4. The Amazing Spider-man
5. Spider-man 3

1. Spiderman 2
2. Spiderman
3. Spiderman 3
4. TASM 2
5. TASM

TASM 2 is the worst Spiderman movie we've got but at least it has some cool looking swinging and action scenes which is why I put it above TASM that was a more solid movie but it felt like a remake of Raimi's first Spiderman movie and there is nothing to rewatch in that movie.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 (9/10)
Spider-Man 2 (9/10)
Amazing Spider-Man (7.5-8/10)
Spider-Man 1 (6.5/10)
Spider-Man 3 (3/10)

Spider-Man 1 (8,5/10)
Amazing Spider-Man (8/10)
Amazing Spider-Man 2 (7,5/10)
Spider-Man 3 (6/10)

Spider-Man 2 (3/10)

After watching all the Spider-Man movies again recently
  1. Spider-Man (9/10)