Justice League Re-cast Hal Jordan for JL movie? Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter how you ask or present your question, doesn't change the answer.

Ah... but what if Nolan wanted RR back for Hal Jordan? Would you guys still say 'Nolan's out of his mind, why is he getting Ryan back? Recast him!' Or would you guys trust his decision because of his track record?

This is all speculative, just trying to send out feelers for that 'what if' scenario.

This team needs a black character(that's just the way hollywood works), unlike marvel they can't simply switch a lead character from white to black(nick fury) because of some recent popular book series.

Green Lantern should be switched to John Stewart(like the cartoon and for the same reason). He may be my least favorite lantern but he serves this purpose well. Just say Hal is on that honor guard status like in the cartoon.

Many problems solved.

Ah... but what if Nolan wanted RR back for Hal Jordan? Would you guys still say 'Nolan's out of his mind, why is he getting Ryan back? Recast him!' Or would you guys trust his decision because of his track record?

This is all speculative, just trying to send out feelers for that 'what if' scenario.

I for one dont care if its Ryan's role as Hal, or recast the role as Hal or Jon...whatever Nolan choose to do is his provocative. What i have been suggesting WB is not happy(in hind sight) with the approach they took with character and the way his portrayal was more based on Ryan's persona and not the actual character...reason why the approach was not conducive. So, it appear they really want to reboot the whole thing, which is sad because I really like Strong's interpretation.

Last edited:
If the Nolan/Snyder/Goyer team does take over producing a Worlds Finest/JL film I can definitely see it as an opportunity for them to add John Stewart as the GL.

With WB's and the Nolan team attached, I wouldn't be surprised if they at the very least make an effort to cast Will Smith as John Stewart also in the ensemble.

Idris Elba would be a great choice as well.

If the Nolan/Snyder/Goyer team does take over producing a Worlds Finest/JL film I can definitely see it as an opportunity for them to add John Stewart as the GL.

With WB's and the Nolan team attached, I wouldn't be surprised if they at the very least make an effort to cast Will Smith as John Stewart also in the ensemble.

he's too big of a star. sure he hasn't aged since 1993, but he'd be the biggest star on the roster, and it'd probably be such a smaller role.

i think everyone loves the justice league unlimited version of js, but he was so boring in the comics. i think he'll be the gl in the movie, but how will they depict him?

When it comes to budget they'll never afford Will Smith if they have Bale and Nolan to pay. Elba would be more reasonable but I love the idea of Will too.

In a dream world i'd get Bale for Bats, Gosling for Flash, Will Smith for John Stewart (or Bradley Cooper for Hal Jordan)...my god that's a lineup, not including Cavill and WW. Marvel would **** bricks for the next decade.

I can see WB looking at GL (2011) and looking at balancing out the team with an African American, hence John Stewart. Goyer is obviously a fan of Dennis O'Neils work and he created Ras/Talia, John Stewart, "The Man Who Falls" (which inspired Begins) so I can see them going with that.

I can see WB looking at GL (2011) and looking at balancing out the team with an African American, hence John Stewart. Goyer is obviously a fan of Dennis O'Neils work and he created Ras/Talia, John Stewart, "The Man Who Falls" (which inspired Begins) so I can see them going with that.

Or, just include Cyborg as a team member, whoever plays Cyborg may not be a big name star, not so with John Stewart as GL.

The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

Hulk WAS recast....but the FILM was kept within continuity. And the actor was recast for reasons not having to do with his performance...

But it's pretty universal that comic book fans don't blame Ryan Reynolds for the failure of that movie. Just as they didn't blame Norton for his. Norton wouldn't have been recast if it weren't for a diva/power struggle between him and Marvel. Reynolds has no such situation. So when comparing the FILMS, Marvel made the smart choice and left The Incredible Hulk as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's continuity. Even though it underperformed. Again, if Norton and Feige hadn't had a power struggle, Norton would have returned as well...

Fan didn't hate Reynolds' Hal Jordan. Actually, a large portion of them LIKED his portrayal, and felt that he deserved a better script. GIVE HIM THE BETTER SCRIPT.

The major narrative in this very thread is that people "wish they could keep Reynolds, but erase Green Lantern from the continuity." You can't do that...

People are also forgetting that erasing Green Lantern from the DC Continuity would also take away Mark Strong as Sinestro in an eventual Green Lantern Sequel or a Justice League follow-up. And that would be a crime.

Keep Reynolds as part of the team. Keep the film as a vague point in the continuity. There's no need to reference Hector Hammond or anything like that....

But keep what worked. Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

-R

Folks, there's your answer. :yay:

he's too big of a star. sure he hasn't aged since 1993, but he'd be the biggest star on the roster, and it'd probably be such a smaller role.

i think everyone loves the justice league unlimited version of js, but he was so boring in the comics. i think he'll be the gl in the movie, but how will they depict him?
a3a911fa7d188ec23ccd4d329ee23e19.jpg

i still want hal to be the first lantern on the team.

Norton wasn't recast because of his performance. Nor did they want to re-cast him.

However, they did re-cast Banner from HULK to TIH, not asking Bana back. Not because of his performance, but because they wanted to start fresh, presumably.

Why wouldn't GL do a similar thing?

Re-casting Hal Jordan would be a huge mistake. Huge! Rebooting Hal Jordan with a different actor, that works fine. But will they choose Hal after the last movie? Will they throw away the character as a whole after that last movie?

The Incredible Hulk underperformed as well. Excluding budget, they took in about the same amount at the domestic box office (130/116). Which means that they received about the same amount of attention from viewers... Green Lantern was just a failure because it cost more to make...but it still about as many asses into the seats as Hulk's flick did.

Neither got sequels.

People thought that there was a fundemental problem with the character or that the public just didn't like them...

Then The Avengers happened. We got Hulk in small doses, and done by a director who understood what made that character fun and successful and it worked.

Reynolds wasn't the reason the first film failed -- he delivered a great rendition of Hal Jordan. A Hal Jordan that I think would be a great foil for a veteran Batman or a serious Superman. A Hal Jordan straight from the New 52.

If a director who is worth his salt and understands Green Lantern comes onto this project, he can deliver us everything Martin Cambell didn't or couldn't. And I will take that bet and bet on Reynolds' Hal Jordan.

Hulk WAS recast....but the FILM was kept within continuity. And the actor was recast for reasons not having to do with his performance...

But it's pretty universal that comic book fans don't blame Ryan Reynolds for the failure of that movie. Just as they didn't blame Norton for his. Norton wouldn't have been recast if it weren't for a diva/power struggle between him and Marvel. Reynolds has no such situation. So when comparing the FILMS, Marvel made the smart choice and left The Incredible Hulk as part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe's continuity. Even though it underperformed. Again, if Norton and Feige hadn't had a power struggle, Norton would have returned as well...

Fan didn't hate Reynolds' Hal Jordan. Actually, a large portion of them LIKED his portrayal, and felt that he deserved a better script. GIVE HIM THE BETTER SCRIPT.

The major narrative in this very thread is that people "wish they could keep Reynolds, but erase Green Lantern from the continuity." You can't do that...

People are also forgetting that erasing Green Lantern from the DC Continuity would also take away Mark Strong as Sinestro in an eventual Green Lantern Sequel or a Justice League follow-up. And that would be a crime.

Keep Reynolds as part of the team. Keep the film as a vague point in the continuity. There's no need to reference Hector Hammond or anything like that....

But keep what worked. Ryan Reynolds and Mark Strong.

-R

Don't know how I missed this, but I'll 2nd it too. If WB's really wants a DCU then it's time to **** or get off the pot. And what I'm about to suggest next won't be popular, but oh well. If MOS is truly going to be the hit that WB's thinks it will be, then it's time to take a small chance in the post credits. Ryan Reynold's Hal Jordan should show up at the end of MOS, ala Samuel L in Iron Man. Now I know the vast majority wants Bale's Batman to show up, which would be sweet, but unnecessary at this point (unless WB's is nixing JL and going straight into World's Finest). If WB's wants a JL, then it's time to use their new flagship, MOS, to repair GL and also help introduce the other JL members. Besides, it's Hal frickin sector so it would make sense for him to investigate the events of MOS. Anyways, now you would have 2 known metahumans known to the world, which would lend more credence to the reason for Bale's Bruce coming out of retirement.

Yeah, I rambled so flame away.

Norton wasn't recast because of his performance. Nor did they want to re-cast him.

However, they did re-cast Banner from HULK to TIH, not asking Bana back. Not because of his performance, but because they wanted to start fresh, presumably.

Why wouldn't GL do a similar thing?

Ang Lee's Hulk (2003) movie was made by Universal Studios who were having the movie making rights given by Marvel.

After Marvel Studios got back movie making rights, they decided to reboot the franchise, that was the reason why Eric Bana was not called back as Dr. Bruce Banner.

Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk (2008) was not a part of the continuity of earlier Hulk movie, it was a reboot.

In case of a Justice League movie, if WB wants to tie in the Green Lantern (2011) movie with JL franchise without rebooting the GL franchise, they can always have Ryan Reynolds back as Hal Jordan.

Green Lantern franchise has the unique advantage of having more than one GL, so they could completely ignore the earlier movie and start with John Stewart as GL, or just have Hal Jordan as GL or even better have them both.
(one senior and one rookie.)

Last edited:

Just thought I'd come here to ruin everyone's day:

h3D29D581

Am I the only one that hates the idea of Will Smith as John Stewart? Not just dislike, HATE.

I can't see it. It's literally on the same level as Megan Fox as Wonder Woman. Just dumb. His personality, his look, his reputation. It all points elsewhere from being John Stewart in my mind. I know he can play a serious role, but I just cannot take him (or his children) seriously in that capacity.

Am I the only one that hates the idea of Will Smith as John Stewart? Not just dislike, HATE.

I can't see it. It's literally on the same level as Megan Fox as Wonder Woman. Just dumb. His personality, his look, his reputation. It all points elsewhere from being John Stewart in my mind. I know he can play a serious role, but I just cannot take him (or his children) seriously in that capacity.

I'm with ya.

I think some people don't know that there's more than one black actor in Hollywood.

Will is a great actor and truly played a depressing, serious and tragic character in Seven Pounds. If he can do that, John Stewart is a breeze for him.

But I understand that he's too big of a star. He has a comedic past that people think of when they think "Will Smith"..so it may be hard to put him with John Stewart's characteristics.

I'm with ya.

I think some people don't know that there's more than one black actor in Hollywood.

lol, reminds me of people who think Halle Berry is a good Storm.

Apparently all it takes is brownish skin to portray the character accurately.

don't want JS because i think he is a boring character and too stoic batman,superman,WW are likely all gonna be very serious dont add another stoic figure

plus i love hal jordan's everyman han solo type character and we would miss on the opportunity of the barry/hal bromance

just imagine Reynolds and a Bradley cooper interacting as flash and gl
ryan-reynolds-bradley-cooper.jpg

To be honest, I think WB has a big enough job on their hands just launching a Justice League movie which hasn't already worked it's way into public consciousness. By that, I mean it won't have followed the Marvel formula of linking up individual films beforehand to familiarise the more general movie-goer with the superheroes in question and their natural evolution into a superhero team like the Avengers.

Now luckily, some of the groundwork is done. MOS will be released before JL and hopefully be a big blockbuster, and will allow the general public to become used to a more modern take on Superman. There's nothing I can say about Nolan's Batman trilogy that people here don't already know; Batman is hugely popular again and doesn't really need an introduction. Wonder Woman and Flash are unlikely to get movies before JL though.

Which leaves Green Lantern. We got a Green Lantern film, but it wasn't well received critically. Green Lantern as a character is also not as well known to the general public as Superman/Batman. So personally, I think they should keep Reynolds in the role and not rock the boat any further. It will be hard enough to sell this superhero team forming out of nowhere without changing crucial cast members too.

^^ I want Ryan Reynolds back too, and you have given some very good reasons there, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are rather serious characters and the team needs someone who is lighthearted (Flash) and someone who represents average man (Hal Jordan).

But the team also needs some diversity, that can be achieved by -

* Just make Cyborg as a member of JL team or,

* Replace Hal Jordan with John Stewart (though I would like to have them both.)

* Include Martian Manhunter whose human identity is Detective Jones.

Rather than ignoring the Green Lantern movie just get some characters from that movie as guest stars in JL like (Angela Basset as Amanda Waller and Mark Strong as Sinestro.)

Edit: The Incredible Hulk (2008) movie did not break even at Box Office (Budget 150 mil, worldwide:263 mil.) but even than Marvel Studios did the sensible thing not to reject it.

Last edited:
^^ I want Ryan Reynolds back too, and you have given some very good reasons there, Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are rather serious characters and the team needs someone who is lighthearted (Flash) and someone who represents average man (Hal Jordan).

But the team also needs some diversity, that can be achieved by -

* Just make Cyborg as a member of JL team or,

* Replace Hal Jordan with John Stewart (though I would like to have them both.)

* Include Martian Manhunter whose human identity is Detective Jones.

Rather than ignoring the Green Lantern movie just get some characters from that movie as guest stars in JL like (Angela Basset as Amanda Waller and Mark Strong as Sinestro.)

Edit: The Incredible Hulk (2008) movie did not break even at Box Office (Budget 150 mil, worldwide:263 mil.) but even than Marvel Studios did the sensible thing not to reject it.

Agreed. Especially on all the GL stuff. Like I said before if WB's is really shooting for a DCU in the near future (like Marvel has) then they are going to have to take a risk at the end of the movie or with the post credit scenes. I know directors like treating their movies like they are their own lil children, and want to put their own stamp on the film. But MOS needs to have a Batman reference at the end to link to a possible World's Finest, or it needs another hero, like GL, to show up and start the connection for the DCU. Otherwise, WB's may as well play it safe and turn MOS into their next TDK trilogy, with no hopes of a Justice League or DCU. And I'm cool with that. But if WB's truly does want an expanded DCU, then it really is time to start connecting the dots here, and not just going with the old approach of waiting until the next film.

John Stewart: Idris Elba
I rewatched Green Lantern and it wasnt as bad as I remember but it just wouldnt fit in the tone of MOS (what weve seen) and TDKR

Man, im so back and forth with this. I have no idea what the hell WB are going to do with Green Lantern.

I'm thinking that they should either bring Reynolds back with major adjustments or just not use the character at all until a sequel or something. I know this past week ive been back on the John Stewart train (and it's a good business move) but i'm thinking in terms of continuity here.

A) Re-casting Hal is pointless, just bring back Reynolds, he wasn't the major problem.

B) Rebooting Hal could be pointless. How does the audience know for sure that it's not just a recast? If they bring in a new actor and reference the origin while making it clear that it took place after MOS...that means nothing. People will still believe they're just replacing Reynolds and putting the 2011 movie in a forward timeline.

C) John Stewart comes in and then what? John only comes in because he's like a replacement/successor to Hal. Hal Jordan would still exist before him. So why not just use Reynolds.

So im thinking they need to bring Ryan back and rework the suit and maybe they can reshoot the origin as a short montage in the JL movie. Just the main beats. Him approaching a strange vehicle that has crash-landed, him getting the ring, a quick flash or 2 of his training. All while Hal is voicing this over perhaps telling Superman or Batman how it came to be. And it's done. No other mentions of the 2011 movie. A new approach for Reynolds, set after MOS, and off we go.

OR the only other option would be like I said, to just leave Green Lantern out of the script. Maybe hint at him towards the end of Act 3. I don't know.

B) Rebooting Hal could be pointless. How does the audience know for sure that it's not just a recast? If they bring in a new actor and reference the origin while making it clear that it took place after MOS...that means nothing. People will still believe they're just replacing Reynolds and putting the 2011 movie in a forward timeline.

If a re-cast Hal's first scene is on an Oa that looks completely different, along with a suit that looks much different, maybe that'll make it more clear.

As long as it's an upgrade, it'll be fine I think. They don't need anything that actively says "2011 GL is not in continuity". But changing everything visually will just make people not think about that old movie.

How did TiH distance itself from HULK? Brand new cast, brand new look, etc. Does the GA even know that HULK isn't part of the continuity? Do they care/remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"