Rotten Tomatoes/Critical Reception Thread

It will definitely have it's detractors saying it's derivative of Nolan's Batman films and with hearing how brutal this version of Batman will be; you can for sure bet on it getting the "omg it's so overly grim/dark" tag.

But I think it will ultimately have a lot more acclaim from fans and critics. So I'm gonna go with a 89% fresh RT score.

Yeah, same for me. I considered maybe low 90’s because of the critical success of Apes and this frankly looking live an overall improvement, but dark superhero movies just aren’t critics thing rn

As soon as I found out how low the percentage was for Dumb and Dumber, I stopped using the site lol. It’s been years. But I’ll say 91.

Haha, yeah same. I recently went on the RT website recently and it felt so foreign to me.

I'm thinking it will be 94.

Critics will love it because of how fresh it is compared to other comic book films Matt Reeves direction and writing will be praised and the performances of the cast will be considered a standout specifically Pattinson Zoe and Dano.

Honestly I don't really care :funny:

I'll say 80-90% to be mildly pessimistic so maybe I'll get pleasantly surprised but ultimately idc

Really hard to say where this will hit.
Of course the higher the better for General Audience...but personally i dont really care.
I enjoy a ton of movies that arent super high rated on RT or MC.

I assume the user score however will be quite lower, considering the bad apples of the snydercult and the lunatics who whine about the movie being woke or pushing a POC Catwoman so much.

Going with 94% Critics score is i think a good base...98% Is what i would love, but with the tone and story...very hard to say.

For some reason I picture this settling somewhere between 85 and 87%

Dunno why. Just a gut feeling I guess. It feels like the sorta movie that would get into that bracket.

I just want it to be fresh with audiences and preferably fresh with professional critics.

I don’t really respect professional critics in totality when it comes to already established popular franchises. I think they’re philosophically down on popular franchises remaining hits with audiences *and* being quality entertainment, while being equally susceptible to pandering as the popular audience, just in a different way.

I think that they’re more likely to dog pile and rag on a movie that’s still pretty darn good if flawed if they think they can get away with it (The Eternals) and they’re more likely to be effusive about a film that panders to them even if it’s actually pretty dumb (…Not going to say which, to avoid an argument.)

Wanted to mention that my friend who saw it gave it a 8.5-9/10. Overall he loved it, really negative on some aspects though, especially the third act
It's test screenings for a reason. They'll probably fix those.

I'm predicting between 85%-93%

For some reason, I feel like if it falls below a 90%, Twitter is gonna explode. Which makes no sense to me because anything 85% and above is considered a great score!

I'm expecting this movie to have a great reception, but if it somehow splits critics I may actually become even more interested. These days I always become a bit more skeptical if a movie is in the 90s. Makes me feel like it didn't take any chances, and I find movies rarely live up to it when I see that type of unanimous praise.

I'm expecting this movie to have a great reception, but if it somehow splits critics I may actually become even more interested. These days I always become a bit more skeptical if a movie is in the 90s. Makes me feel like it didn't take any chances, and I find movies rarely live up to it when I see that type of unanimous praise.
I always find myself thinking the opposite; after all, a film that takes chances but executes those chances correctly is just as likely to receive unanimous praise as a film that plays it safe, and a film that takes chances but fails at execution has arguably wasted those gambles.

If critics and audiences agree a film is good that means it didn’t just pander to one or the other, and generally must have correctly gauged both its riskiest elements and it’s audience’s likely reactions.

I generally don’t think any concept can truly divide an audience if it’s presented by a creator with enough empathy and analytical brain cells to figure out what’s going on in it. On the other hand, even merely flawed execution with a touch of myopia can ruin a simple and conventional story.

A divisive reception for this film would make me think that the film had some failure on execution. Well… to take back some of my words, if certain *types* of divisiveness occurs to the reception, I’ll think there were failures in execution. If a handful of professional critics bemoan it being conventional while everyone else likes it, I’ll laugh my butt of at their jaded pretentiousness and be happy.

Taking risks ain’t as valuable as competent execution.

I always find myself thinking the opposite; after all, a film that takes chances but executes those chances correctly is just as likely to receive unanimous praise as a film that plays it safe, and a film that takes chances but fails at execution has arguably wasted those gambles.

If critics and audiences agree a film is good that means it didn’t just pander to one or the other, and generally must have correctly gauged both its riskiest elements and it’s audience’s likely reactions.

I generally don’t think any concept can truly divide an audience if it’s presented by a creator with enough empathy and analytical brain cells to figure out what’s going on in it. On the other hand, even merely flawed execution with a touch of myopia can ruin a simple and conventional story.

A divisive reception for this film would make me think that the film had some failure on execution. Well… to take back some of my words, if certain *types* of divisiveness occurs to the reception, I’ll think there were failures in execution. If a handful of professional critics bemoan it being conventional while everyone else likes it, I’ll laugh my butt of at their jaded pretentiousness and be happy.

End of the day, my point is that the Rotten Tomatoes binary system is deeply flawed. I've been burned so many times going into a movie with high expectations based on a high score, only for the movie to be okay, and then you actually read the reviews and you realize that few of the reviews are actually that euphoric with praise. It just has a high score because most critics agree that it's at least 'decent' enough for a fresh score. That's what I'm talking about and that's why I've kind of phased out caring about RT scores. That's not to say I'm going to suddenly get excited if the movie has a 50% or something, that would concern me a bit-- but I've recently realised that movies in the 70s/80s where the people who love it really love it, tend to be more my bag. Because usually those have enough risks to be interesting even if it's not instantly appreciated, but land enough of the execution as to not totally divide people. And those types of movies also have some potential to grow in estimation over time or at least be reevaluated. Critics definitely don't always get it right. Of course, there are examples where they do and I agree with the majority. It's just far from any sort of exact science and why I don't put too much stock in it.

Personally speaking, I've gotten to a point where I'd actually rather hate a movie than be bored by how "okay" it is. At least in the case of the latter I can usually still respect it for trying something.

Last edited:
Based on the teaser 90

Based solely on the latest trailers 65. Too much action stuff zzzzz (I'm hoping something more different)
I can see this backfiring with critics if it rely too much on generic action (boring for me), and if they include Joker even more (again this **** !). I'd assume that they would know better than anyone.

Last edited:

Thats a lot of believing others opinions instead of your own.

Thats a lot of believing others opinions instead of your own.
Eh, that's not it; I’m evaluating it as a marketing tool and a gauge of a film’s artistic/entertainment value to a larger culture than just, y’know, myself.

I’m quite capable of telling the difference between a film I like because it’s a good film, and a film I like even if it’s a guilty pleasure. But, since I love larger franchises and want them to succeed with the larger public and continue to evolve, I pay attention to how critical consensus aggregators rate a film. As @BatLobster says, RT *is* a broken system because if it’s binary patterns and how easily that’s misinterpreted, but it can be understood correctly and generally plays into the general approval of a film.

Yes, I do have a bit of contempt and spite for particular types of film criticism that I think can do damage to pop culture properties - in particular, I trust general audiences and hardcore fandoms more than professional critics. That’s why some types of critical annoyance just make me feel like it’s good to have the opposite reaction - professional critics often slip into the role of gatekeeper just like fanboys do, but often for more pathetic, jaded, and pretentious reasons (which is saying something, I know, considering how pathetic fanboys can be about a property they like), and for what they regard as quality films against pop culture instead of fanbase involvement.

I find most professional critic-preferred film style to be just as tired, trite, and predictable as blockbuster tropes and cliches… but at least blockbuster and “crowd-pleasing” films have more admirable goals compared to a small segment of jaded elitists.

Based on the teaser 90

Based solely on the latest trailers 65. Too much action stuff zzzzz (I'm hoping something more different)
I can see this backfiring with critics if it rely too much on generic action (boring for me), and if they include Joker even more (again this **** !). I'd assume that they would know better than anyone.

TDK literally has 94% and the vast majority of its trailers were action focused.

Why do people think critics don't like action lmao

I'll go with 85-87%. A 3-hour, dark investigative Batman movie probably isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I predict that the critic average will be very high for this movie. An 8/10 at least.

Damn, that would be incredibly disappointing. The Snyder Cut hit 71%.
I know, but if this is a really slow movie i guess alot of people will be not so happy about it.
A slow Batman movie Will be cool if done right ofcourse, but the general audience can get dissapointed by it, also the critics.
The story needs to be really good.

Bro who cares what the score is... if you like the movie, like the movie. The need for some sort of mainstream validation blows my mind. I thought Snyder Cut was hot garbage but you don't see me losing any sleep over it getting a better score than it deserved. Chill out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"