Sequels Sam Raimi talks Spidey 4

Why?

Well they made the first two Spider-Man movies and despite all of its faults (which are quite large) SM3 is still head and shoulders above any other summer blockbuster (save for Bourne and Potter) this year.

I think Raimi might be very selective on a replacement which is good...but lord knows we don't need a Schumaucher or a Ratner taking over. Either way I want to see Tobey fight Lizard and Sam handeling that character as well.

I don't see why Raimi should have any influence over who should take over director responsibilities. That's sony's job not his. Raimi is essentialy hired help, nothing more and to be honest, I could do without his help from here on.

To me, the Rami/MaGuire/Dunst/Franco film franchise isn't over. It has to end tying up all of the loose ends!

-"Like any story worth telling...it's all about a girl....that girl" You can't end it with them only hinting at being happy.

-Doctor Connors has been mentioned in three films and featured in two. They film series should culminate with the Lizard, Peter and Mary Jane's marriage and the overall theme of redemption.

Spider-man 4 is the film that should end their series....and could actually end the series for a while itself. End it with a home run. I want Spider-man to get the Barry Sanders treatment. One more great film leaving us all wanting more but stepping out of the lime light. Not the Jerry Rice treatment where after years of greatness it refuses to leave and it grows stale and we all wonder why it's hung around.

-R

To me, the Rami/MaGuire/Dunst/Franco film franchise isn't over. It has to end tying up all of the loose ends!

-"Like any story worth telling...it's all about a girl....that girl" You can't end it with them only hinting at being happy.

-Doctor Connors has been mentioned in three films and featured in two. They film series should culminate with the Lizard, Peter and Mary Jane's marriage and the overall theme of redemption.

Spider-man 4 is the film that should end their series....and could actually end the series for a while itself. End it with a home run. I want Spider-man to get the Barry Sanders treatment. One more great film leaving us all wanting more but stepping out of the lime light. Not the Jerry Rice treatment where after years of greatness it refuses to leave and it grows stale and we all wonder why it's hung around.

-R

:up: :up: :up:

Well said. I don't feel enough closer from SM3, and would like to see Raimi take that last crack. Like the Sanders mention too. Man retired on top!!!
Why?

Well they made the first two Spider-Man movies and despite all of its faults (which are quite large) SM3 is still head and shoulders above any other summer blockbuster (save for Bourne and Potter) this year.

I think Raimi might be very selective on a replacement which is good...but lord knows we don't need a Schumaucher or a Ratner taking over. Either way I want to see Tobey fight Lizard and Sam handeling that character as well.

I enjoyed SM3 most of the summer blockbusters this year (though Ultimatum was a better movie and was great, I didn't enjoy it quite as much...by only a small margin though), and I think Raimi's way of handling villains is especially perfect in doing the Lizard justice.

-R

So, for a 4th we should have MJ YET AGAIN get kidnapped but this time by The Lizard??? I really want the Lizard in the 4th film but could do without the girl in distress that we've had 3 times over.

So, for a 4th we should have MJ YET AGAIN get kidnapped but this time by The Lizard??? I really want the Lizard in the 4th film but could do without the girl in distress that we've had 3 times over.

Who says she has to be kidnapped for MJ's story to continue?

I also hope that doesn't happen in SM4. Saving her in 3 movies is enough.

Clearly you didn't watch sm3 or if you did, you are still unaware or ignorant to the fact that Franco's character was killed as in, he's dead and is never coming back.

Just because Raimi's stories are about a girl, who says it has to be happy. This is Peter Parker's life. We all know happiness is a rareity, few and far between and that his life is plagued with eternal misery ad misfortune. Furthermore, I'm not sure if you missed the announcement but these movies are going in a new direction. More to the point, the new spidey films are no longer Raimi's stories. He has no input or influence over what the stories are. Raimi's story ended with sm3, whether you like it or not.

I do not forsee marriage in sm4 and I also think its a bad idea. Marvel are planning to retcon the marriage so it'd be kind of stupid for the movies to head in that direction anyway. Peter needs more realistic character growth. He needs to explore more and diferent relationships. As for the lizard, he's a likely and most requested candidate to feature as a villain for sm4.

Spider-man 4
is the film that should end their series....and could actually end the series for a while itself. End it with a home run.

Sorry to once again dissapoint you but the producers are planning 6 films in total for now. These movies are a fat-ass cash cow, they aint gonna stop.

I want Spider-man to get the Barry Sanders treatment. One more great film leaving us all wanting more but stepping out of the lime light. Not the Jerry Rice treatment where after years of greatness it refuses to leave and it grows stale and we all wonder why it's hung around.

-R

Spider-Man was here before you and will be here long after you're gone and as long as his ass is swinging around, movies will continue to be made. Imagine if Harry Saltzman and Albert Broccoli decided to quit making Bond movies after TB or YOLT...

I think he meant Raimi's Spider-Man should go out on a home run or like Barry Sanders...not the Spider-Man movies as a whole.

But in either case, more will be made. You're right about that.

Either way, why end it with 4 films? HP has released 5 movies, with the5th movie being the best thus far and demand for the movies hasn't wained. Spider-Man is a far more popular character with just 3 movies released. 6 movies in total isn't a recipe for disasterously milking it.

Either way, why end it with 4 films? HP has released 5 movies, with the5th movie being the best thus far and demand for the movies hasn't wained. Spider-Man is a far more popular character with just 3 movies released. 6 movies in total isn't a recipe for disasterously milking it.

No it is not a recipe for bad filmmaking, but Potter is easier to make 5 quality films out of cause the character was envisioned for 7 stories. He doesn't have the many interpretations the character of Spider-Man does. I think Bond is a better comparison cause while many were made about him, there was a lot of misses. Potter is harder to screw up cause the story is far more contained and they do the movies in similar styles. They more than likely won't do that for Spidey at a certain point.

Sure the Potter movies are more contained as they are adapting the books but the way I see it, the spidey films have more than enough source material with more than enough great stories to adapt or to at least use and expand upon. Generally speaking, I think hollywood is making it out to be harder than it actually is to adapt a comic book into a movie. God knows that the studios have the time, money and resources to research the source material and scribble down a great script but that doesn't seem to be the norm.

A lot people seem to be of the mind that losing Raimi will end up with a worse director , like Schumaker , but look at Christopher Nolan he saved the Batman franchise from spiraling down the old crapper and set it on what alot of fans think is the right track . I think that is what Spidey needs .......

It didn't match Transformers, imo. And Harry Butthole Potter is a ******.

Christ think outside the box for once. Everything is so black and white with you.
I do, but I feel uncomfortable when I do. A new director could go either way, but I really don't want to take the risk. Atleast we know Sam and as somebody else said, we feel comfortable with him making the film. I'm a big fan of all three films, I want tohse people who were involved with this amazing franchise to come back. Their are like family, to me atleast.

I do, but I feel uncomfortable when I do. A new director could go either way, but I really don't want to take the risk. Atleast we know Sam and as somebody else said, we feel comfortable with him making the film. I'm a big fan of all three films, I want tohse people who were involved with this amazing franchise to come back. Their are like family, to me atleast.

Exactly. Sam has said time and time again that he knows what he did wrong. I'm sure with the right screenplay (now proposed to be more character driven, something that Sam wanted originally for the third Spider-Man film) I think he can make a big comeback with the fourth film.

Who says she has to be kidnapped for MJ's story to continue?

I also hope that doesn't happen in SM4. Saving her in 3 movies is enough.

I was just being a smartass. I would hope they weren't that stupid to do it a 4th time.

I agree! Can't remember were, but I could have sworn Sony had said they want to treat it like an ever going franchise like James Bond. Anyone else remember reading that? They "at the very least" would do 6 but would love to make more throughout the years.

I remember that and thats good news because then, maybe people will see that TMags and Raimi can't be doing these movies forever.
When Terrence Young directed Dr. No and FRWL, I wonder how many people thought that him not returning should mean no more Bond movies and look what we got, Guy Hamilton's GF, arguably the best Bond movie to date.

It's time for you to meet a new family. :o

It's time for you to meet a new family. :o

Exactly! Although I enjoyed the movies it seems waaay more than you did Mr Jide, I'm also ready for a new cast/crew/take on the material. The only regret I would have is the great casting and performances by Willem Dafoe and Alfred Molina. Say what you want about sensitising Dr. Octopus, but Molina still rocked that role IMO.

It will be hard to see new actors play those two villains in future installments but I'll just have to keep an open mind.

Despite the butchering od Dr Octopus, Molina was awesome and I'm sure he brought more to the character than the script intended. I'd love for him to return.

I don't see why Raimi should have any influence over who should take over director responsibilities. That's sony's job not his. Raimi is essentialy hired help, nothing more and to be honest, I could do without his help from here on.
Sony is going to want Sam Raimi's name on the 4th film in some way, even if he's not the director, I have no doubt he'll serve as a producer. Plus, it's fitting with being apart of SM4, and not having the great load of helming it. Thus, is the reason Raimi knew about the various writers and is showing up at meetings.

Clearly you didn't watch sm3 or if you did, you are still unaware or ignorant to the fact that Franco's character was killed as in, he's dead and is never coming back.
I know that Harry is dead. I was just referring to that original core team that brought the first three films to us, Rami, MaGuire, Dunst, and Franco being the director and three main leads in the trilogy. And while Harry Osborn's legacy and story-line was tied up in movie three Mary Jane and Peter's was not.

Just because Raimi's stories are about a girl, who says it has to be happy. This is Peter Parker's life. We all know happiness is a rareity, few and far between and that his life is plagued with eternal misery ad misfortune. Furthermore, I'm not sure if you missed the announcement but these movies are going in a new direction. More to the point, the new spidey films are no longer Raimi's stories. He has no input or influence over what the stories are. Raimi's story ended with sm3, whether you like it or not.
I would love to see the announcement where they said that these films would be in a new direction and that they wouldn't be Rami's story (seriously find me a link and quote it).
Considering the director's chair is really Rami's if he still wants it. Sure the direction of the films will change (presumably to be character driven films with characters making the effects important ala Spider-man 2), but this doesn't mean that they will abandon the love story and continuity of the last three films.

I do not forsee marriage in sm4 and I also think its a bad idea. Marvel are planning to retcon the marriage so it'd be kind of stupid for the movies to head in that direction anyway. Peter needs more realistic character growth. He needs to explore more and diferent relationships. As for the lizard, he's a likely and most requested candidate to feature as a villain for sm4.
Just because you don't feel a marriage doesn't mean it cannot happen. I mean, were a lot of people watching the end of Spider-man 2 in 2004 and saying "you know what, I'm feeling Sandman for the villain in Spider-man 3". No, I bet no one really did. But he's who we got. It's not where you think that the character should go that is important it's where the director thinks the character should go that matters. Rami, if he helms the fourth picture will probably go this direction seeing as how he'd show that Peter has grown from the last film where he wasn't prepared to put his wife first and now- he can.

Sorry to once again dissapoint you but the producers are planning 6 films in total for now. These movies are a fat-ass cash cow, they aint gonna stop.
I don't see how this displeases me. I already knew that they were planning an ongoing franchise. I've always wanted that to begin with:

Spider-man: Green Goblin
Spider-man 2: Doc Ock
Spider-man 3: Green Goblin 2, Sandman
Spider-man 4: Scorpion and Electro, Spider-man Gets Black Suit, Brock's introduced.
Spider-man 5: Spider-man fights the Lizard and Kraven with the Black Suit, gets rid of it at end of film. Venom Cliff Hanger.
Spider-man 6: Venom

I thought that six films was a good number. But for now- I would like to see the four films:
Spider-man: Green Goblin
Spider-man 2: Doc Ock
Spider-man 3: Sandman, New Goblin, Venom
Spider-man 4: Kraven and Lizard

I think it would be a nice way to end the film series for a while with some closure. No reason why they couldn't bring Spider-man films back one day with another continuity or the same with a new cast...but I am saying I want four films with THIS cast/crew. And after billions in box office sales, Academy Award wins and nominations, three critically acclaimed films, I think that they deserve that much.

Spider-Man was here before you and will be here long after you're gone and as long as his ass is swinging around, movies will continue to be made. Imagine if Harry Saltzman and Albert Broccoli decided to quit making Bond movies after TB or YOLT...
I have no problem with them continuing Spider-man on film. But there really is no point to just make them for the sake of making them. Look at what happened to the Batman franchise, and the Superman franchise. A few good films then....stale. They are upper echelon comic heroes just like Spider-man and it happened to them. I don't want it happening to Spider-man too.

-R

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"