Gotham Sean Pertwee is Alfred Pennyworth

I love this Alfred.

I think before too long we're going to discover that he was/is much more than a butler. His challenge will be adjusting to his new role as guardian and surrogate father for Bruce. I don't think he's used to the gentle side of things, and I like that approach. Someone said Alfred works better as a father figure. Well yes, but he can't just BE a father figure. He has to evolve into that first.

I think a lot of fans have been ruined by Michael Caine's version of Alfred Pennyworth, who basically let Bruce blunder his way into misery, and helped him to do so without putting up even token resistance to what most people would consider an insane mission.

I'm betting this Alfred is going to be a bit more proactive and opinionated, and not so much of a lackey.

I really like this Alfred. It seems like people are expecting Alfred to be exactly as he is in the modern comics and Batman movies, leaving zero room for character development. We've got hopefully many seasons to see this Alfred grow into the one we know, just like all the other characters will.

IMO, Pertwee's Alfred is really not all that far removed from what we've seen before. I think both sides seem to be exaggerating how much different his Alfred is from the other depictions we've seen. The only thing that seemed a bit new was the whole grabbing Bruce bit which has been talked about. Other than that though, he's still Alfred to me. He doesn't seem like some new character. Fans may or may not like how he's been written but I don't see this version as some radical bold departure of the character. Its not like the difference between Devito's Penguin and Taylor Lord's Penguin.

cool to see that Sean can use a sword like his dad.
Doctor_eats_Sandwich_while_Swordfighting.jpg

Finally an episode with a tolerable/likable Alfred.

I love this Alfred.

I think before too long we're going to discover that he was/is much more than a butler. His challenge will be adjusting to his new role as guardian and surrogate father for Bruce. I don't think he's used to the gentle side of things, and I like that approach. Someone said Alfred works better as a father figure. Well yes, but he can't just BE a father figure. He has to evolve into that first.

I think a lot of fans have been ruined by Michael Caine's version of Alfred Pennyworth, who basically let Bruce blunder his way into misery, and helped him to do so without putting up even token resistance to what most people would consider an insane mission.

I'm betting this Alfred is going to be a bit more proactive and opinionated, and not so much of a lackey.

Agreed.

I felt bad for Alfred trying to get Bruce to eat. I think he feels sort of helpless because he's technically Bruce's guardian but at the same time their relationship is that of a servant and a master so I don't think Alfred feels like he can treat Bruce as a parent would. The whole episode I just wanted him to tell Bruce "No, you don't get up from the table until you eat your dinner!" like a normal parent.

Alfred should have a very interesting past. Military Intelligence background would be great.

Bit more insight on the character from Pertwee himself.
[YT]gUVoGyHfn40[/YT]

First impressions on Alfred?
Bit of an *******, to be honest.

He seems very old school and has a no nonsense mentality. He could easily be thought of as somebody who worked at Buckingham Palace, even with the cockney accent. Almost like an angry drill sergeant.
The way he told Bruce to show decorum after the murder was a little harsh, but that's just his own
temperament to the situation in hand. He's projecting his own feelings onto Bruce, in the attempt to toughen him up.
I heard William and Harry weren't allowed to cry at Princess Diana's funeral and had to remain in good form, as they were walking behind the hearse.
And that's essentially what Alfred told Bruce.

He has the order of a butler at Buckingham and the temperament of the British Army.

So it'll be interesting to see how this personality will go on to either support or scorn Bruce for being Batman or whatever way the show pushes Bruce into that darker territory, and to see it soften as he will come to assume the more fatherly role.

Alfred has already matured since the pilot, but obviously, he doesn't know how to treat Bruce. Lot of room for character development. The actor is doing a great job.

Sean Pertwee is definitely my favourite actor in the show. He is perfectly cast as Alfred. In fact, I think he is the best screen Alfred so far. Nobody will ever beat him.

It really is interesting how Alfred has developed from this hard, over-protective character to having a more supportive relationship with Bruce.

It really is interesting how Alfred has developed from this hard, over-protective character to having a more supportive relationship with Bruce.

Yeah, I like how he is slowly realising that he has to let Bruce make his own decisions rather than always be there for him.

Alfred finally had something to do in Season 3. Where has he been during season 3? He has been underused. If the show does not use him the actor might leave the show. Hope that does not happen.

I really like this interpretation of a younger Alfred who happens to be a badass himself. Nice bond with Bruce even though he has to take on the guardian role quite often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"