Gotham Gotham Season 1, Episode 9 "Harvey Dent" General Discussion

I think what they're showing is that the death of the Waynes, two people who were viewed as respected pillars of the city and kind of an antithesis to all the crap that went on, pretty much was the final straw and just made all the lowlifes come out the woodwork.

I couldn't believe that ALL the cops left when the hitman ordered them to leave. Even the Chief was nervous about staying. I know the writers are trying to show how bad it is in Gotham but man they sure overdo it at times.

If the common mafia type criminals have this much power already, how can one man in a bat suit and a police Commissioner change anything in this city when super criminals arrive. The answer is they can't, as we've seen in the cartoons (Batman Beyond) and comic books.

I think it goes back to the pilot episode with that conversation Gordon had with Falcone. Yes, Falcone wields a lot of power and intimidation. But, he is trying to keep things "civilized" and fighting the chaos. Batman's Gotham is when the crazies are in charge. Gotham is in bad shape now, yes. But it gets so much worse when you have the psycopaths like Penguin in charge or Joker begins his rampages.

I really hope the show does show Gordan making some headway, only for things to just go completely bonkers at the end.

I actually want to see Gordon jaded by Gotham. Not necessarily corrupt, but no where near the optimist he is now. It takes Bruce's emergence to fight crime that re-kindles Gordon's resolve.

I actually want to see Gordon jaded by Gotham. Not necessarily corrupt, but no where near the optimist he is now. It takes Bruce's emergence to fight crime that re-kindles Gordon's resolve.

That will come. He'll have his ups and downs, he'll feel deflated and defeated, I'm sure. Give it time.

Oh most definitely. I'm enjoying this series and have no problems waiting for the end result.

Unless the writers think Batgirl being Alfred's niece or something is a better idea... then you don't really need Barbara...

Unless the writers think Batgirl being Alfred's niece or something is a better idea... then you don't really need Barbara...

Not that again! I've already started calling Alicia Silverstone's Babs "Daphne" after her one shot comic counterpart's namesake

Alfred: "This is my young niece... she dreams of attending 'Oxbridge' one day... I haven't had the heart to tell her there's not a university named 'Oxbridge.'"

Just watched this on DVR last night. I cannot freaking believe how much I'm enjoying Gotham. It's just excellent storytelling on so many levels...and whether it's related to Batman or not I'd def be watching. Nothing else like it on television! Honestly, it seems shot more like a film and I could totally see this version on the big screen.

I really do like this show. Of the multiple comic book shows on right now, this one is easily my favorite.

But if I do have a complaint, I would like if they got away from the self-contained villain-of-the-week type plot more often. The best episode of the show so far was Penguin's Umbrella which dealt almost exclusively with long running characters and plot threads, and I don't think that was a coincidence. Pretty much every episode the most interesting stuff involves the longer running plots dealing with Penguin, Falcone, Bruce, etc.

A show like Boardwalk Empire would be my model to use. Tons of characters juggling multiple plots spread over an entire (or multiple) seasons.

Well, I wasn't expecting that lesbian scene at the end of the episode. Are they planning more of that?

Are Bruce and Selina going to be childhood friends now?

Well, I wasn't expecting that lesbian scene at the end of the episode. Are they planning more of that?

Are Bruce and Selina going to be childhood friends now?

Right when I saw her sleeping alone....I figured wait a second....is Montoya next to her? Bam....here she came! Wow!

I had a feeling that would develop.

I can see Selina helping Bruce to become street tough to a certain extent. Good to see Penguin figure out what Lisa is up to.

The case with the bomber was kind of interesting but I thought the scenes with Bruce and Selina were hard to watch. I did like that Alfred didn't interrupt their food fight though.

Ignoring the inane Barbara Kean stuff... this was a highly enjoyable episode.

- The Bat and the Cat were extremely cute together and it was great to see another aspect of Bruce's personality.
- D'Agosto pulled off a pretty convincing Harvey Dent and I look forward to seeing more of 'Big Bad Harv' as the season progresses.
- I'm loving the Fish/Penguin scenes and I'm strangely rooting for Fish to at least succeed in some manner. Underdog thing perhaps?
- This version of Alfred is fast becoming one of my favourites.

But... Eugh, Barbara!! :whatever:

Ignoring the inane Barbara Kean stuff... this was a highly enjoyable episode.

- The Bat and the Cat were extremely cute together and it was great to see another aspect of Bruce's personality.
- D'Agosto pulled off a pretty convincing Harvey Dent and I look forward to seeing more of 'Big Bad Harv' as the season progresses.
- I'm loving the Fish/Penguin scenes and I'm strangely rooting for Fish to at least succeed in some manner. Underdog thing perhaps?
- This version of Alfred is fast becoming one of my favourites.

But... Eugh, Barbara!! :whatever:

Saw this last night and yeah pretty much how I feel. D'Agosto did a good job but we another episode to see Big Bad Harv which we will get next week's episode.

I love Edward Nygma stuff and working at GCPD much better than him working for Wayne Enterprises. The show is better and better each episode I watch. I hope they keep this up!

Just getting caught up on this show. I'm really not digging the guy playing Harvey. He just seems to eager and giddy to be believable.

Plus he looks like the Karate Kid.

I really do like this show. Of the multiple comic book shows on right now, this one is easily my favorite.

But if I do have a complaint, I would like if they got away from the self-contained villain-of-the-week type plot more often. The best episode of the show so far was Penguin's Umbrella which dealt almost exclusively with long running characters and plot threads, and I don't think that was a coincidence. Pretty much every episode the most interesting stuff involves the longer running plots dealing with Penguin, Falcone, Bruce, etc.

A show like Boardwalk Empire would be my model to use. Tons of characters juggling multiple plots spread over an entire (or multiple) seasons.

I always prefer that style of show to villain-of-the week stuff but at least a bunch of the villains have been interesting and the great ongoing characters have been progressing throughout.

It is kind of hilarious reading back this thread, where everyone hates on Barbara and wants the show to bump up Morena to regular and make her Jim's love interest.

We should be careful what we wish for, but anyway despite the ups and downs I still adore the show.

It is kind of hilarious reading back this thread, where everyone hates on Barbara and wants the show to bump up Morena to regular and make her Jim's love interest.

We should be careful what we wish for, but anyway despite the ups and downs I still adore the show.
Does that mean Barbara gets much better and Morena's character gets much worse? I already think Barbara is much better as a villain.

Does that mean Barbara gets much better and Morena's character gets much worse? I already think Barbara is much better as a villain.

Yeah, Barbara is a better villain than a love interest, meanwhile the moment Lee became Jim’s love interest she immediately filled the role of the nagging, accusatory girlfriend, and despite being a couple in real life, Morena and Ben have zero chemistry.

Yeah, Barbara is a better villain than a love interest, meanwhile the moment Lee became Jim’s love interest she immediately filled the role of the nagging, accusatory girlfriend, and despite being a couple in real life, Morena and Ben have zero chemistry.

Thanks for that. Barbara has become interesting almost overnight since she switched. I can see what you're saying about chemistry although I do like having Morena around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"