She-Hulk Season 1, Episode 9 "Whose Show Is This?" (Spoiler Thread)

I didn't mind the 4th wall breaking but there were so many plot holes and felt it was a rather weak finale because some of it felt rushed and like a cop out.

If She-Hulk could delete elements she didn't approve of, like Hulk showing up or Todd turning into a Hulk etc, then why didn't she delete the whole sex tape scandal and the guy she slept with who stole her blood so it never happened? Then she wouldn't even need to have Todd arrested. He needn't even have existed in the story in the first place nor the Intelligencia. And what happened to the guy who stole her blood and filmed her? Did he get his comeuppance or was that just glossed over?

Since it is her show and she can take control over it, why not take greater control? Why leave that sex tape out there or the fact that she was even made to look bad at the gala and like a raging monster? While she may have been exonerated, there would still be some out there who could believe she is a monster now so why not leave her reputation intact so they never think that at all?

And why not delete Titania from the show so that she's not a constant thorn in her side?

Fe8BIAyUcAA5WQ7

I stand corrected. :yay:

I didn't mind the 4th wall breaking but there were so many plot holes and felt it was a rather weak finale because some of it felt rushed and like a cop out.

If She-Hulk could delete elements she didn't approve of, like Hulk showing up or Todd turning into a Hulk etc, then why didn't she delete the whole sex tape scandal and the guy she slept with who stole her blood so it never happened? Then she wouldn't even need to have Todd arrested. He needn't even have existed in the story in the first place nor the Intelligencia. And what happened to the guy who stole her blood and filmed her? Did he get his comeuppance or was that just glossed over?

Since it is her show and she can take control over it, why not take greater control? Why leave that sex tape out there or the fact that she was even made to look bad at the gala and like a raging monster? While she may have been exonerated, there would still be some out there who could believe she is a monster now so why not leave her reputation intact so they never think that at all?

And why not delete Titania from the show so that she's not a constant thorn in her side?

i think when you start going into detail, every single comic book movie falls apart. i think the overall story was jen accepting her 2 sides and making sure she dictated her own story. nobody was going to write her narrative, especially internet trolls.

all the other stuff is just there to serve that story. i'm not talking about enjoyment factor, just talking about trying to dissect a show like this.

my guess, if there's a 2nd season or she's in a movie, none of these storylines will ever get brought up again.

i think when you start going into detail, every single comic book movie falls apart. i think the overall story was jen accepting her 2 sides and making sure she dictated her own story. nobody was going to write her narrative, especially internet trolls.

all the other stuff is just there to serve that story. i'm not talking about enjoyment factor, just talking about trying to dissect a show like this.

my guess, if there's a 2nd season or she's in a movie, none of these storylines will ever get brought up again.

But it's not just dissecting for the sake of it. Some of these storylines they've been building up to all season. The whole sex tape scandal was a big thing that the last episode ended on. In any story (whether in film, TV or a book) you want to see the hero get justice for certain things (like the guy who filmed her and released the tape) and for these main threads to be wrapped up. They didn't deal with these at all.

But since they are problems which will affect her, she could've hand waved them all away since she was doing that with the other elements in the finale. She could've had even the internet trolls removed from existence.

Comparison video with the original.

A few things to note here:

1) The hands shown either operating the chair or changing the wheel in the rain seem to be Bill Bixby's from the original footage instead of using Tatiana's hands.

2) The car that She-Hulk is overturning looks like the exact same car from the original footage, as if they masked out Lou Ferrigno and inserted in the footage of She-Hulk there instead.

3) I wonder if the savage She-Hulk is played by a man:

Is Devon a man's name? I think I might've seen it used for a woman before, but that looks like a man unless it's a muscular and manly looking woman.

Yes, Devon Lewis is a man.

I think you missed the whole point of it. What happened on the show was her journey to accepting who she is as both She-Hulk and Jennifer. It isn’t about erasing that journey.

The finale was devolving into another CGI slug fest that takes away from her personal story so that’s what she wanted redone.

So Blonsky leaving with Wong....does that preclude him from the Thunderbolts?

I'm just wondering why a maximum security prison for superpowered people doesn't seem to have any surveillance cameras in the room.

Posted this in the general forum for this show, but I also wanted to post it here.
I will say that, while I really did like the season overall, especially the first four episodes and the last two episodes, those few episodes in the middle are a little bit lesser and more uneven. I think the show at times, in trying to balance the legal/case of the week stuff with establishing Jennifer/She-Hulk as a character, kind of loses a bit of focus and doesn’t always work.

But, now that you have the character established and pretty much everything in place for the second season, here are some things I would like it to lean into more and improve on:

1) Lean even more into the fourth wall breaking stuff that we got in the last episode. What we got in the earlier episodes was fine enough, but she needs to be pretty much at episode 9 levels all of the time. They gave us a taste of what what you can really do with the character. Let her loose in the second season. Go even crazier and more bonkers. You could get so much mileage out of her commenting on the first season of her own show alone.

2) More legal court drama, please. I didn’t mind not having it as much for this season because we were just getting to know Jennifer for the first time, but now that’s out of the way, really dive into the legal stuff. Like 50/50. It’s an important part of the character and intrinsic to her DNA, and without it you lose a bit of something. If you have to add other writers of legal dramas or consult actual legal people to make it work, just do it.

3) Even more obscure comic book characters, and some we haven’t seen in a while. This would be a really good place to throw in Howard the Duck for an episode or two. Maybe he has to establish his own detective agency but needs Jen to help him navigate some legal stuff and other crazy shenanigans to make it happen. Whatever you do, he needs to be on the show. Recurring side characters are always a good thing.

4) More Pug and Nikki. Their characters are great and provide a lot of humor and levity to the show, as well as a lot of support and groundedness to Jen’s character. She-Hulk allows Jen to go off-the-walls, but those two help bring her back down to earth.

5) Bring Titania back. Continue the trend of her just showing up and breaking through walls inexplicably to simply harass Jen for petty reasons. Maybe even start establishing their friendly rivalry and have them start coming to a better understanding of each other? Just a thought.

6) Increase the episode count. 13 episodes. This is one of the few Disney+ MCU shows that could benefit from having even more instead of less. More episodes gives the creative team more room to play around in this world and just have fun.

7) Still keep it within the world of the MCU, but don’t worry as much about setting up future stuff. Her world, like her, is large and crazy enough to support itself. You also don’t need to worry about world ending stakes like the other shows. It’s more self-contained nature is one of its greatest strengths.

8) Keep the show going for as long as it can go. Able to do five seasons? Do five seasons. Able to go for ten seasons? Do ten seasons. The best thing about the format of the show and its place in the MCU, with it seemingly limitless characters and situations, is that you could go for as long as you need to without really running out of stuff write.

9) More Madisynn and Wongers. You know you want it.

10) More Matt Murdock. ’Nuff said.

11) Seriously, more Matt Murdock. Does anything else really need to be said?

12) Less overarching plot, more standalone episodes. Keep the overarching plot more simple to allow more freedom and focus for each individual episode to do its thing. Have it be there to support the show but not be the driving force this time. Without the baggage of a huge main plot throughout the season, the standalone episodes have more room to thrive. The last two episodes make a great case for this.

That’s about all I can think of.

I need a GIF of Pug trying to fit in at the meeting. :hehe:

I was not expecting her to literally walk through Disney+ :wow:. I had no clue that level of fourth wall breakage was even an option :funny:. Also, that opening scene was perfect. LOVED that recreation. Absolute perfection.

Honestly, out of all the Marvel D+ shows, this is the one I want to see return the most. With everything else even if I like the characters a lot and want to see them show up again, I’d be fine (and in a lot of cases, even prefer) if they just showed up in movies. She-Hulk needs her own sitcom though. Before anyone misunderstands and thinks that I don’t want her in the movies, she absolutely needs to be on the big screen and interact with all those other heroes. But I think this show has such a distinct personality from the movies and even the other D+ shows that it deserves to continue and thrive.

But it's not just dissecting for the sake of it. Some of these storylines they've been building up to all season. The whole sex tape scandal was a big thing that the last episode ended on. In any story (whether in film, TV or a book) you want to see the hero get justice for certain things (like the guy who filmed her and released the tape) and for these main threads to be wrapped up. They didn't deal with these at all.

But since they are problems which will affect her, she could've hand waved them all away since she was doing that with the other elements in the finale. She could've had even the internet trolls removed from existence.
What? The justice is Jen finds herself, takes control of her narrative, and uses her vast skills to seek justice against the trolls. Though that you wanted her to literally erase them from existence is definitely a choice...

I thought the finale was the weakest of the series.

I hope her neXt appearance is in a film.

I was not expecting her to literally walk through Disney+ :wow:. I had no clue that level of fourth wall breakage was even an option :funny:. Also, that opening scene was perfect. LOVED that recreation. Absolute perfection.

Honestly, out of all the Marvel D+ shows, this is the one I want to see return the most. With everything else even if I like the characters a lot and want to see them show up again, I’d be fine (and in a lot of cases, even prefer) if they just showed up in movies. She-Hulk needs her own sitcom though. Before anyone misunderstands and thinks that I don’t want her in the movies, she absolutely needs to be on the big screen and interact with all those other heroes. But I think this show has such a distinct personality from the movies and even the other D+ shows that it deserves to continue and thrive.
I don’t think anyone thought breaking through the icons on the Disney + app and storming the headquarters was a possibility. :D.

Yes, agreed. Even if they have an amazing film future planned out for her (which I really hope they do), that won’t replace what this show provides. We need both! :cwink:

So, yeah, that was a thing.

Probably the best way to sum up my feelings: "You don't get to claim some creative high ground for pointing out the flaws in a story, that you put there in the first place. All you are doing is pointing out that you did something dumb." The only reason the show had some vague momentum towards a cliched, kind of dumb ending, was because you wrote it that way. You could have just, you know, wrote something different.

Sadly, its kind of emblematic of the show: a whole that is less than the sum of its parts.

So, yeah, that was a thing.

Probably the best way to sum up my feelings: "You don't get to claim some creative high ground for pointing out the flaws in a story, that you put there in the first place. All you are doing is pointing out that you did something dumb." The only reason the show had some vague momentum towards a cliched, kind of dumb ending, was because you wrote it that way. You could have just, you know, wrote something different.

Sadly, its kind of emblematic of the show: a whole that is less than the sum of its parts.

unless you think it was all intentional only to be blown up in the finale in the 4th wall break.

unless you think it was all intentional only to be blown up in the finale in the 4th wall break.

That does not make it better, that makes it *worse*. It means you deliberately did a bad job, rather than just accidentally doing one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"