Seth Rogen's Second Career

Road Warrior

Sidekick
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that Seth Rogen has been moonlighting as a voice actor for cartoons? Rogen has provided his voice to the following movies:

• Shrek the Third (as the Ship Captain)
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles (as Hogsqueal)
  • Horton Hears a Who! (as Morton)
  • Kung Fu Panda (as Master Mantis)
  • Monsters vs. Aliens (as B.O.B.)
It's almost as if he's setting the foundation for a career after the Apatow stuff ends.

He also writes. He is a regular renissance man.

Charisma and awkwardness has been his key to success. And the fact that he's downright funny, and gifted with the talent to write quality comedy.

He's also a writer, but I've yet to see him do anything without Apatow's involvement. (He's doing Hornet, but we've heard nothing about that).

It's unfortunate that REAL voice actors are being replaced by celebs.

Haven't those been bit roles? I'm not insulting him or anything, I've never seen him as the lead in an animated film.

Thats changing. He's one of the main characters in Kung Fu Panda. His character teaches Jack Black's character martial arts.

I think some celebs are great voice actors, Steve Carell had me dying in Over The Hedge, he was great in that. but i think they like audiences to play who's that voice while watching it cuz we know our celebs so well.

It's unfortunate that REAL voice actors are being replaced by celebs.

Spare me that crap, please. Don't give me any crap about real voice actors being replaced by celebrities, because that's just not true. Furthermore, you seem to want to differentiate between voice actors who just do voice work, and "celebrities" as if to imply that the celebrities who do end up doing voice work aren't capable of it. Some of the best people to do voice work either primarily or on the side have been popular comedians. People well-versed in doing impersonations and funny accents, making them more than suitable for your standard animated talking animal fare.

And the crazy thing is, you're trying to make a point and act like you're doing voice actors a favor by complaining about people like Rogen doing voice work, when all you're doing is pigeon-holing them.

As for Rogen, I think he's done great as a voice actor. The great thing being that you have to really work to recognize him, at least that how I felt when I saw Spiderwick Chronicles. He changed his voice dramatically to fit the character. Furthermore, Martin Short did great in his role, and has been very good as a voice actor in a lot of films and shows.

you seem to want to differentiate between voice actors who just do voice work, and "celebrities" as if to imply that the celebrities who do end up doing voice work aren't capable of it.

I doubt thats what he meant.

Rogen improvises which is what animated film directors want, numerous takes/lines that they can pick and choose what they feel is the best.

I think some celebs are great voice actors, Steve Carell had me dying in Over The Hedge, he was great in that. but i think they like audiences to play who's that voice while watching it cuz we know our celebs so well.

Pixar films tend to be unconventional in that respect, and I like that.

Not that I don't mind assorted celebrities lending their vocal talents to many a commercial animated film, but it can tend to be overwhelming at times, to a point where it overshadows the actual film itself.

The most notable example was Shark Tale. It was not a bad film, but it was a little bizarre how they overlaid the actors' faces onto those of fishes and sharks. But it was a deliberate decision, to differentiate itself from other movies or more importantly Finding Nemo (a vastly superior film) that came out at around the same time.

Someone mentioned they're waiting for his directorial debut, when that day comes, it's probably gonna be awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"