Should Jean Grey be brought back?

Again, thats what I'm saying. They never should have brought her back after the Pheonix Saga. If they wanted the Pheonix so bad, they should brought it back into somebody else. Now the Pheonix is apart of her. So now if the Pheonix comes back, so does Jean. Repeating the same cycle all over again.

Well,Balrog, it would seem odd to permanently kill off a chacracter named "Phoenix",so I think an idea like that wouldnt have even been considered.

Jean Grey was Marvel Girl. She didn't go by the name Phoenix until she bonded with the Phoenix force. Thats the thing that should come back. The cosmic entity is the Phoenix, not the vessel. At least thats the way I felt they should have gone with it.

Anubis said:
Again, thats what I'm saying. They never should have brought her back after the Pheonix Saga. If they wanted the Pheonix so bad, they should brought it back into somebody else.
Your post is pretty ironic. They didn't want Phoenix back. They wanted Jean (as Marvel Girl) back for X-factor so they invented the Phoenix Force to blame Dark Phoenix's crimes on it, because Marvel would not have Jean Grey back when she was responsible for the deaths of the D'Bari. Then they DID give the Force to someone else, Rachel. So not only did they not want Phoenix back, they did give it to someone else, Rachel Grey.

So I think you've pretty much got it ass-backwards. They didn't resurrect Jean because they wanted Phoenix, they invented the Phoenix Force and gave it to Rachel because they wanted Marvel Girl back.

Anubis said:
Now the Pheonix is apart of her.

It was from the beginning.
Anubis said:
So now if the Pheonix comes back, so does Jean. Repeating the same cycle all over again.

Thats like saying Magneto comes back with his magnetism powers over and over again, repeating the same cycle. If they want magnetic powers back have Spiderman infected with magnetic powers.

Bringing Jean back as Phoenix is only repeating the story if the story is "omg, she's Phoenix! crazy!". If they do a story where the main topic is not "wow Jean is Phoenix!" but something else that just happens to involve her as a character, then its a new story.

Basically if they just treat Phoenix as the extension of her powers and not the big focus of the story, then she's a character like anyone else.

Anubis said:
Jean Grey was Marvel Girl. She didn't go by the name Phoenix until she bonded with the Phoenix force. Thats the thing that should come back. The cosmic entity is the Phoenix, not the vessel. At least thats the way I felt they should have gone with it.

*sigh* There WAS no cosmic entity until they brought her back. She didn't bond with the Phoenix Force until the retcon in 1986 6 years after she died on the moon. Back in the original story, Phoenix is just Jean Grey reborn as a super-powered psi. Phoenix was a metaphor for her rebirth.

Its also pretty funny how you're complaining that Jean always comes back as Phoenix when the first time she came back- the big resurrection- she did NOT come back as Phoenix, in fact the opposite- they tried to separate the two as far as possible, and they turned around and gave the Force to Rachel Grey. Jean then didn't manifest any sign of being the Phoenix avatar for the next 12 years.

And yet, everything was retconned to be that way. If she had died, and stayed dead, that would be it. But then it went to clones, and daughters of clones from the far future and.....this is why I f**king hate the X-Men.

Anubis said:
And yet, everything was retconned to be that way. If she had died, and stayed dead, that would be it. But then it went to clones, and daughters of clones from the far future and.....this is why I f**king hate the X-Men.

which brings me back to...

They should never have brought her back after the death on the moon. But they did, and in a spectacularly bad fashion, one that spat all over the original story. At least they've done the decent thing and tied Jean to Phoenix forever. I dont care if they never bring her back if it means spitting all over the Phoenix saga again with alien entities that body-hop. If they want to power up other mutants, power 'em up. But don't use Jean/Phoenix to do it, what purpose does that serve as a story?

I despise clones, I hate alternate future kids and I loathe the Phoenix Force being passed around as an alien force going around infecting random mutants. If the Phoenix ever comes back, it should be just Jean as a powerful mutant using the Force like Magneto uses magnetism.

Awwwwwwww S**T, that's right I'm bumping this effer!

I was bored and decided to bump an old topic to get some convo going. So reading a lot of these responses from 06, it seems like the majority hate the idea of her coming back. Seeing how some of these posters are either banned or stopped coming here but I figure we can get the opinions of some of the newer posters.

So I'll ask the question again - Should the real Jean Grey come back? How would you feel about it now in this post AvX world of Marvel NOW? Are you happy with just Teen Jean? Should the original come back as well?

I'm happy with the Jean we have in All New X-Men at the moment.

I want the real Jean back, but I'm content with teen Jean for now. I'd rather the confident, nurturing, and strong Jean we had with Morrison, but things are already better even with teen Jean.

I'm okay with Teen Jean for the moment but I'd much rather the original come back. I'm hoping Bendis is using this teen version to prepare readers for the return of the original.

The X-Men have struggled since she was killed off and Emma has never amounted to a worthy replacement. The only good thing that's happened as a result, and it's been recent, is that Kitty's sorta been forced to rise up to her roll on the team. I'd still rather it be Jean though.

I'm torn. I want her back, but I'm tried of death meaning nothing in the Marvel Universe.

I think Jean's been gone enough that her death meant something. I just hate when they return a year or less after their deaths.

People like Jean and Banshee have been dead long enough that if they return it'd feel special. I'm cool with that.

I think Jean's been gone enough that her death meant something. I just hate when they return a year or less after their deaths.

People like Jean and Banshee have been dead long enough that if they return it'd feel special. I'm cool with that.

Yup, totally agree.

I want her back and for her not to die again for at least 10 years.

I want Nightcrawler back. His death served the purpose of showing how much people were willing to sacrifice for Hope. Hope's story is done... so bring him back. I miss him!

emma is the best thing for scott and she is very worthy she is just as good as jean ever will be

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"