BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this could potentially be the skepticism thread to bring in BvS.
giphy.gif

Just think. In a few weeks, this thread will be filled with pure, uncontainable joy and euphoria!*

*Reenactment of what this thread will actually be like in 2 weeks among the other BvS threads

gif-reactions-miserable-at-a-party.gif

That really made me laugh. Saving that gif.

I find this place to be one of the best spots on the Internet for discussion about superheroes. It's moderated well, the regulars are (for the most part) level-headed and mature, but it's still the Internet. There's gonna be some bumps in the road for sure.

Absolutely. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't still be here after 10 years and neither would a majority of the veteran posters, some of whom like to act as if the whole "superhero movie hype" thing is beneath them.

Just to be clear here, when I said "these boards" I just meant the BvS section, not the entirety of the Hype.

Just think. In a few weeks, this thread will be filled with pure, uncontainable joy and euphoria!*

*Reenactment of what this thread will actually be like in 2 weeks among the other BvS threads

gif-reactions-miserable-at-a-party.gif
*continues talking about MoS*

I'm waiting for a review of BvS from someone who either hated MOS or thought it was underwhelming. So far, the early reviews are encouraging, but then again, they usually are.

That "Constructive Criticism" thread came about two years too late.

Good or bad, I can't wait for the film to come out. I just want this **** to be over.

The early reviews are definitely encouraging, but they don't mean anything to me because my opinion is the only one that matters to me at the end of the day. If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that you shouldn't need validation to feel secure in your own thoughts.

So: good, bad, average, bring it on. I'll walk into this thing with an open mind and respond accordingly.

If the last few years have taught me anything, it's that you shouldn't need validation to feel secure in your own thoughts.

You pretty much summed up the motivation behind the bitterness toward this thread, lol.

So according to one of Jett's sources:
"The film is really dark – maybe even darker than Chris Nolan’s Batman films. It's definitely darker than MAN OF STEEL. It’s closer to WATCHMEN in my opinion than THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY or MAN OF STEEL".

While I have no problem with that for a Batman movie, it's not what I want out of a Superman movie or story personally. The character is supposed to be wholesome, righteous, and a symbol of hope and positivity. I would have hoped that those Superman characteristics would balance out the darkness and cynicism that comes from Batman and his world. To me, a Superman story with the sort of darkness, pessimism, and cynicism in Watchman seems to misunderstand the character, but I guess we will see in two weeks.

As long as Superman himself isn't dark, broody, and emo, I don't mind the dark tone.

So according to one of Jett's sources:
"The film is really dark – maybe even darker than Chris Nolan’s Batman films. It's definitely darker than MAN OF STEEL. It’s closer to WATCHMEN in my opinion than THE DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY or MAN OF STEEL".

While I have no problem with that for a Batman movie, it's not what I want out of a Superman movie or story personally. The character is supposed to be wholesome, righteous, and a symbol of hope and positivity. I would have hoped that those Superman characteristics would balance out the darkness and cynicism that comes from Batman and his world. To me, a Superman story with the sort of darkness, pessimism, and cynicism in Watchman seems to misunderstand the character, but I guess we will see in two weeks.

There are plenty of dark Superman stories. It's fine if it's not what you're interested in seeing, but that doesn't mean that the character has been misunderstood.

I'll believe it when I see it. Fans and studio executives have been misusing the word since 2008.

But even if it's true: as long as Superman, himself, is a source of optimism, comfort, and light, I don't mind a darker movie.

I'll believe it when I see it. Fans and studio executives have been misusing the word since 2008.

But even if it's true: as long as Superman, himself, is a source of optimism, comfort, and light, I don't mind a darker movie.

Agreed. Not only is the word "dark" constantly misused, but it also isn't automatically a bad thing.

I do sometimes wonder if the people who always complain about "darkness" have ever seen a movie that is really dark and depressing.

I doubt it. They're usually the same people who say that the Kimmel trailer was awful because of the editing, music, or (insert third technical aspect here).

I doubt it. They're usually the same people who say that the Kimmel trailer was awful because of the editing, music, or (insert third technical aspect here).

Huh? Are you saying that a botched editing job can't ruin a trailer?

In fairness, I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks highly of the editing in that trailer. The annoying, near-constant BUM BUM BUM jump cuts did the trailer no favors. Made the trailer feel cheap, IMO.

Huh? Are you saying that a botched editing job can't ruin a trailer?

God, no. I'm saying that anyone who thinks that trailer is awful for those reasons has never seen a truly awful trailer.

In fairness, I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks highly of the editing in that trailer. The annoying, near-constant BUM BUM BUM jump cuts did the trailer no favors. Made the trailer feel cheap, IMO.

Sure. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, and I totally understand having some issues with the editing. But after watching it multiple times, I think that calling it awful for reasons relating to it is ridiculous.

You want to see an awful trailer? Let me direct you to TMNT2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"