BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
aka fanboy bragging rights

I'm not sure that's exactly what he meant. At this point, if DC doesn't overperform, a lot of critics will say that it's a dud. They'll turn their nose up at it and declare WB a failure once again.

On the other hand, if DC outperforms Marvel this year, its place as a force in this genre will be undeniable.

It doesn't have to outperform Marvel though all it has to do is be successful, beating Marvel isn't where the bar is. The bar is BvS making a chunk of money close to or above one billion, if it gets 1.1 bill but Civil War makes 1.3 bill it's not gonna be any issue whatsoever.

It doesn't have to outperform Marvel though all it has to do is be successful, beating Marvel isn't where the bar is. The bar is BvS making a chunk of money close to or above one billion, if it gets 1.1 bill but Civil War makes 1.3 bill it's not gonna be any issue whatsoever.

You can bet that we'll be hearing it from Marvel fanboys that they beat BvS though. To think they won't is naive. This the hype afterall :sly:

This film has no choice but to be both critically and financially successful. It's not even about Marvel, WB can't afford to be spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a long term investment that only appeals to half the audience.

Visualiza bringing some sense to this whole thing. Like water in a desert.

Guys like Visualiza and Boy Scout are the only reason I haven't unsubscribed yet. This thread has become a second "All Things" thread. Too bad.

Im sure it will be financially successful. Not sure about critically though.If it gets average reviews like Man Of Steel, they won't care if it's still making a billion dollars or more. If it makes less than Dark Knight but more than MOS, which i believe would be under a billion right? Then im not sure how they're going to act in that situation with average or bad reviews coming out.

There's always a chance this movie gets great reviews and stuns the critics. I won't act like that can't happen. I think Avengers is a piece of crap but look at the phenomenal reviews. The critics are strange puppies.

The point is more about having validation for the thing you care about more
Wanting or needing something you like to be validated by others reeks of insecurity. Not trying to be mean, but what other people have to say should have zero impact on you. You gotta let that **** roll off of you. And believe me, we're going to get a ton of trollish behavior if BvS makes so much as one cent less than Civil War. But hey, if those people want to attach their egos to box office numbers as if they're some de facto indicator of quality, all the power to them.

If I ending up loving this movie, my only concern is that it makes enough money to please the suits. It doesn't have to be the highest grossing movie of all time, it doesn't have to be the highest grossing movie of the year, and it doesn't even have to gross more than Civil War. Hopefully it gives WB enough of a return on their investment to make them comfortable moving forward.

Last edited:
Exactly. As long as the movies I love make enough to warrant sequels then mission accomplished.

You can bet that we'll be hearing it from Marvel fanboys that they beat BvS though. To think they won't is naive. This the hype afterall :sly:

The correct fanboy response is "It's not surprising that a stupid kiddie MCU movie would outgross a deep, complex character film like BvS. The same public that waits in line for Transformers movies can't understand a serious auteur like Singer."

Right and DC fans wouldn't do the same. Sometimes I wish DoJ had kept the same date as Civil War so we could get true Armeggeddon.

Exactly. As long as the movies I love make enough to warrant sequels then mission accomplished.
And to offer a counter point, I imagine this place will become just as plagued with trollish behavior if BvS outperforms CW at the box office.

Marvel trolls if CW performs better: "Haha! Suck it DC! Marvel's still the best!"
DC trolls if BvS performs better: "Haha! Suck it Marvel! DC's taking over!"

Oh it's going to be a delightful couple of months.

And to offer a counter point, I imagine this place will become just as plagued with trollish behavior if BvS outperforms CW at the box office.

Marvel trolls if CW performs better: "Haha! Suck it DC! Marvel's still the best!"
DC trolls if BvS performs better: "Haha! Suck it Marvel! DC's taking over!"

Oh it's going to be a delightful couple of months.

There will be trolls but there should also besome stimulating discussion.

We are all free to add people to our ignore lists for a few months.

I look forward to the analysis of the film.

There will definitely be bothersome people on both sides regardless of the outcome. I'm just glad that this is one of the places on the internet I've seen where most of the regular posters don't succumb to such behavior.

Guys like Visualiza and Boy Scout are the only reason I haven't unsubscribed yet. This thread has become a second "All Things" thread. Too bad.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree. There's an actual conversation happening here that is basically not allowed in the "All Things" thread.

The correct fanboy response is "It's not surprising that a stupid kiddie MCU movie would outgross a deep, complex character film like BvS. The same public that waits in line for Transformers movies can't understand a serious auteur like Singer."

Seriously?

No. Just because someone didn't like the film doesn't mean they don't understand it. It just means they didn't like it.

And calling the MCU "stupid kiddie movie is insulting as all hell. I happen to be enjoying them immensely, and I very much hope I'll be enjoying the current DCMU, as well, as I've enjoyed it in the past.

You sound like a hipster. Stop doing that.

People need to stop perpetuating this whole "Marvel films are for kids" myth.

Not tackling weighty themes and real-world issues does not make something a "kiddy" film, nor does a penchant for humor. I've seen nearly every MCU film in theaters and believe me the adult-to-child ratio I've seen is quite one-sided in favor of the former.

EDIT: Since you were making a joke, Zarex, this post isn't targeted at you specifically.

What the **** are you talking about? You said Singer was responsible for all this in the "Negativity for DC Films" thread, too. He's not involved in any way whatsoever.

Is it a joke? Because it's weird.

Eh, I'm not sure I agree. There's an actual conversation happening here that is basically not allowed in the "All Things" thread.

That's usually true of this thread, and to be fair, right now it seems like its getting back to normal a bit.

There will be trolls but there should also besome stimulating discussion.

We are all free to add people to our ignore lists for a few months.

I look forward to the analysis of the film.

Of course there will be annoying SHH trolls on both sides of the spectrum. Trolls are present now, they were present for just about every big CBM release in recent years, and they'll be present for the release of pretty much every future CBM. Many of these people are simply irrational, uneducated, over-excited, hormonal teenagers. I think people sometimes lose sight of the fact that this is essentially an all-ages forum.

I also look forward to lots of stimulating conversation and BvS analysis, which can essentially take place in any thread at any given time. A batch of annoying and immature posters/trolls aren't enough to scare me away from threads in which there are actually plenty of right-minded individuals engaging in conversation. They're not enough to taint this experience for me. This "Skepticism" thread (which has somehow now been labeled as a mirror of the "All Things" thread) is not the only place to participate in somewhat of an adult conversation, although there have been plenty of solid discussions and debates in here over the past year.

However, while I've never actually used my ignore list before in all my time here, I'll probably start loading that bad boy up pretty soon.

Looks like Zarex was joking? Since he started off by saying, "This would be the typical fanboy response..."

Wanting or needing something you like to be validated by others reeks of insecurity. Not trying to be mean, but what other people have to say should have zero impact on you. You gotta let that **** roll off of you. And believe me, we're going to get a ton of trollish behavior if BvS makes so much as one cent less than Civil War. But hey, if those people want to attach their egos to box office numbers as if they're some de facto indicator of quality, all the power to them.

If I ending up loving this movie, my only concern is that it makes enough money to please the suits. It doesn't have to be the highest grossing movie of all time, it doesn't have to be the highest grossing movie of the year, and it doesn't even have to gross more than Civil War. Hopefully it gives WB enough of a return on their investment to make them comfortable moving forward.

I have to say, it's bizarre to me how concerned the residents of this forum are for the insecurity of others.

Everyone here is obsessed with psychoanalyzing the opinions of others. The truth is that if we all weren't emotionally invested in the outcome of this film, we wouldn't be here.

I have to say, it's bizarre to me how concerned the residents of this forum are for the insecurity of others.
Well when someone indicates that they're worried that something they love is going to be "replaced" by something that makes more money, that concerns me. Because I'm a fan of these characters too, and it's disheartening to see fellow fans get hung up on things like that - especially if it has some negative impact on the thing they enjoy.

Of course, just as I'm free to share my thoughts on the matter, Jaxon is entirely free to ignore me.

Looks like Zarex was joking? Since he started off by saying, "This would be the typical fanboy response..."

Thank you. I will have my editor review future attempts at humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"