BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we've seen enough of Eisenberg yet to make a fair assessment of his Lex. Maybe he'll be similar to Spacey or Hackman but at this point, I don't really see that. And I like Hackman's Lex in Superman '78 (not really in the other films though).

I mostly agree. I didn't like Hackman or Spacey's Lex and I would be disappointed if Eisenberg turned out like them, but so far, I don't think they're that similar considering there's not much of Eisenberg to compare. I'll wait and see and hope we get a different Lex this time.

I think I might be the only person who has at least liked every live action Lex Luthor.

-Overall, the trailer didn't exactly raise my expectations for the story. Really, it still looks like a typical Snyder movie and while I love some individual parts (Batman!), the movie as a whole is still uncertain to me. I'm cautiously optimistic, but the trailer didn't leave me feeling that this movie is going to be "the best ever" or anything as it seems to have left many fans feeling. I'm not really emotionally invested in the story and am just looking forward to some wonderfully flashy eye-candy and thrilling action, so everything looks dandy from that perspective.

This actually more or less summarizes my reaction to the trailer. I mean, I start from a much more negative position ( I expect the movie to be terrible ), but the specific details fit with this. Batfleck actually looks good, everything else is Snyder-trailer and MoS-redux.

Which is something important to remember: Snyder movies traditionally cut really well for trailers, irrespective of their actual quality.

I mostly agree. I didn't like Hackman or Spacey's Lex and I would be disappointed if Eisenberg turned out like them, but so far, I don't think they're that similar considering there's not much of Eisenberg to compare. I'll wait and see and hope we get a different Lex this time.

Yeah, what I got from the trailer is that this Lex is eccentric and creepy. Like later-in-life Howard Hughes mixed with Ezra Miller's character in We Need to Talk About Kevin.

Reminded me of Spacey in the Superman Returns trailer.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Superman turned back time at the end of Dawn of Justice to save Lois?

"Much better than the stupid ending from the stupid Don...wait!"

:funny:

To tell you the truth, all three of this versions of Lex seem like they could just be the same guy at different points in his life/different situations.

Eisenberg is young and eccentric. He really comes off as weird and a little goofy to me.

Hackman is the same, but older. But, for some reason likes to surround himself with idiots and/or unloyal people. Doesn't give a **** about killing people. In fact, he likes it.

Spacey is mellowed out because he isn't around idiots and/or unloyal people. Doesn't care about killing people.

They all like to make some reference to history, religion, and/or literature.

To me, it felt like a self-aware John du Pont. :D

Ditto, yes it can be overused (Smallville been an example although I will argue what they did with it on that show actually made sense for the show) but it's part of Superman's history and shouldn't ever be not used because some view it was overused or lazy.

Agreed. I can see why people might not care for it but expecting them never to use it in a Superman film series is a silly and unrealistic expectation. You might as well also wish for Superman to not wear a cape, not be able to fly, and have the crazed eyes of a killer. :D

Agreed. I can see why people might not care for it but expecting them never to use it in a Superman film series is a silly and unrealistic expectation. You might as well also wish for Superman to not wear a cape, not be able to fly, and have the crazed eyes of a killer. :D

Haha have you seen the Death of Superman Lives yet? Jon Peters denies saying things but then pretty much says exactly what he's denied saying. Really funny.

Haha have you seen the Death of Superman Lives yet? Jon Peters denies saying things but then pretty much says exactly what he's denied saying. Really funny.

No, I didn't realize it was out yet. I'll have to check it out!

What else could you want from a trailer really? It gives you money shots, pieces of the plot, and characters people want to see.

It also showed little or no evidence to suggest that the dire flaws present in MoS will be corrected. If you loved MoS, sure, the trailer looks good. If you *didn't*, it gives you reason to believe anything will change. Or, as a friend of mine put it, it still looks like an "assault upon joy".

:funny:

To tell you the truth, all three of this versions of Lex seem like they could just be the same guy at different points in his life/different situations.

Eisenberg is young and eccentric. He really comes off as weird and a little goofy to me.

Hackman is the same, but older. But, for some reason likes to surround himself with idiots and/or unloyal people. Doesn't give a **** about killing people. In fact, he likes it.

Spacey is mellowed out because he isn't around idiots and/or unloyal people. Doesn't care about killing people.

They all like to make some reference to history, religion, and/or literature.

:up:

I don't hate Hackman or Spacey's Lex, so I don't think its an insult to Eisenberg to compare what little we've seen of his Lex to those two versions. And a lot of Hackman/Spacey detractors seem to forget just how nasty those two versions could actually be.

I'm still a little skeptical. I wasn't happy to see them going back to Bruce Wayne's origin story again and I really don't think they needed to shoe-horn Wonderwoman into the film. The rumours of Doomsday are likewise rather worrisome.

Gal Gadot in general still hasn't sold me. Physically she's not as bad as I thought. She looks the part in her suit. Even though it's a very dull colour pallet and honestly - I would have preferred something less skimpy. If they were going to go down the armour route she should be dressed more practically like this:
ww-cv41-1-127051.jpg

The rest of the cast I'm sold on. I'm actually quite digging what I'm seeing of Eisenburg's Lex Luthor. I'm liking the amused derision, the social media twist on him.

I don't hate Hackman or Spacey's Lex, so I don't think its an insult to Eisenberg to compare what little we've seen of his Lex to those two versions. And a lot of Hackman/Spacey detractors seem to forget just how nasty those two versions could actually be.

Yeah, if you didn't like or care for those versions, you might not like it when people say Eisenberg comes off as similar to them. And if there was an expectation for more of a Byrne Lex, you'd probably be disappointed.

But, it was clear what they were going for when they hired Eisenberg. So, no surprise.

Yup. Eisenberg was never going to be like Clancy Brown's Lex.

Yup. Eisenberg was never going to be like Clancy Brown's Lex.
That's ok by me. I was tired of the older guy businessman / politican Lex. I'm excited for a younger version, and hopefully one who is also a crazy scientist with a freakshow of a lab, wires everywhere, robots, clones, etc. Basically the one that's been in comics in the last decade or so.

Ditto, yes it can be overused (Smallville been an example although I will argue what they did with it on that show actually made sense for the show) but it's part of Superman's history and shouldn't ever be not used because some view it was overused or lazy.

Things shouldn't be used just because they're part of a character's history. Being a part of a character's history doesn't make something automatically good.

Pretty much this.

Both versions were a bit eccentric, but they still didn't bat an eye at killing millions of people to further their own goals.

My main concern is Superman being presented as a bad guy. Don't like that.

Also Superman hasn't killed a single human so for him to try to explode batman with his heat vision makes no sense for me. Granted it's out of context but I can't see him getting that out of control

Things shouldn't be used just because they're part of a character's history. Being a part of a character's history doesn't make something automatically good.

They should be when they've been used time and time again. It's clear that it's a good thing simply from that.

That's ok by me. I was tired of the older guy businessman / politican Lex. I'm excited for a younger version, and hopefully one who is also a crazy scientist with a freakshow of a lab, wires everywhere, robots, clones, etc. Basically the one that's been in comics in the last decade or so.

For me, its like...if you want a live action John Bryne flavored Lex, there's one in Lois & Clark, and there's a younger version of that in Smallville. Those two versions may be TV versions, but that doesn't mean a live action businessman Lex never happened.

The Crazy Scientist you described? That's a version that's never been done in live action. That's the version I want to see as well, if not in this film, than in the next film version of Supes.

My main concern is Superman being presented as a bad guy. Don't like that.

Also Superman hasn't killed a single human so for him to try to explode batman with his heat vision makes no sense for me. Granted it's out of context but I can't see him getting that out of control

I think it's pretty clear from the trailer that he isn't the bad guy, he is obviously viewed that way from Batman's POV but not in terms of the actual film

For me, its like...if you want a live action John Bryne flavored Lex, there's one in Lois & Clark, and there's a younger version of that in Smallville. Those two versions may be TV versions, but that doesn't mean a live action businessman Lex never happened.

The Crazy Scientist you described? That's a version that's never been done in live action. That's the version I want to see as well, if not in this film, than in the next film version of Supes.

I'm getting that "mad scientist" vibe from the shot of Luthor gazing at the Kryptonite. Admiring his own creation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95