BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think as many people want this movie to fail as much as some of you are letting on. There is no scenario where this movie being both good and successful is a negative for anybody; it's a win-win for all of us in that case.

OTOH, and this is my main sticking point, there totally *are* scenarios where it being bad and successful is bad for everyone, in my view. That is my main fear: that it will be just as much a narrative and concept horror show as Man of Steel, and yet make tons of money anyway, thus triggering even more incoherent, morally offensive super hero movies.

The problem is that, from my perspective, its a hell of a lot more likely that the movie as a whole will be bad than good. Being good would require enormous quantities of the data in the trailers to be just flat out wrong, if not deliberately deceptive, because good execution won't save a bad concept.

People need to stop perpetuating this whole "Marvel films are for kids" myth.

Not tackling weighty themes and real-world issues does not make something a "kiddy" film, nor does a penchant for humor. I've seen nearly every MCU film in theaters and believe me the adult-to-child ratio I've seen is quite one-sided in favor of the former.

:up:

It's like some fans don't realize that some films are built for an all ages appeal, and not all CBM's need to have a the tone of a Nolan or Snyder flick to be taken seriously.

One doesn't try to make something to take seriously by being dark anyway.

So, there's a version of the movie that's rated R for violence. I wonder how they managed to do that, and how bad it is.

Is it a PR stunt? Have they just CGI'ed some blood splatter into the fight scenes? I picture something like the Poochie episode from The Simpsons:

Batman: "I'm Batman!!!"

(Batman hits the badguy in the face. A poorly animated head falls off his shoulders. There's CGI blood everywhere)

Bad actor: "He killed him...and I'm going to throw up!"

Zack Synder: "Aaaand we're done! Good job, guys!"

Look forward to more news on the subject.

Apparently, the R-rated home video cut was rated last fall. So, no.

Apparently, the R-rated home video cut was rated last fall. So, no.

You got that mixed up. The PG-13 theatrical cut was rated last fall. The R-rated Blu-ray cut was rated this week.

How has everyone's outlook on BvS changed since the marketing began? It'll be here next month, so I figure that most of our thoughts, hopes, and concerns are more or less what they'll be going into the theater.

I'm very excited and have been for quite some time but the second trailer tampered my expectations a bit, which I'm grateful for.

You got that mixed up. The PG-13 theatrical cut was rated last fall. The R-rated Blu-ray cut was rated this week.

*scary music*

So it could be a stunt, then. Maybe not the way I described, but I'm extremely curious now.

So, there's a version of the movie that's rated R for violence. I wonder how they managed to do that, and how bad it is.

Is it a PR stunt? Have they just CGI'ed some blood splatter into the fight scenes? I picture something like the Poochie episode from The Simpsons:

Batman: "I'm Batman!!!"

(Batman hits the badguy in the face. A poorly animated head falls off his shoulders. There's CGI blood everywhere)

Bad actor: "He killed him...and I'm going to throw up!"

Zack Synder: "Aaaand we're done! Good job, guys!"

Look forward to more news on the subject.

You do see Supes bleeding in the fight with Batman so maybe they had to trim that out a bit for the theatrical release.

There's an R-rated cut of this film? Wow.

How has everyone's outlook on BvS changed since the marketing began? It'll be here next month, so I figure that most of our thoughts, hopes, and concerns are more or less what they'll be going into the theater.

I went from pretty sure this would be bad, to absolutely sure. I stick my head in here from time-to-time hoping that my attitude will change. I love Bats. I love Supes. DC was my favorite comic universe. But this stuff.... :(

I'm very excited and have been for quite some time but the second trailer tampered my expectations a bit, which I'm grateful for.

The same for myself..
Lex... and Doomsday.. Emotions shifted on the spot..

I went from pretty sure this would be bad, to absolutely sure. I stick my head in here from time-to-time hoping that my attitude will change. I love Bats. I love Supes. DC was my favorite comic universe. But this stuff.... :(

May I ask why you're ABSOLUTELY sure that BvS will be bad?

Critics always say that Snyder films have great trailers for movies that end up bad. At this point, you'd think people would reserve their judgment for the final product.

The marketing for BvS hasn't even been bad. Divisive at worst. That second trailer had as many fans as critics.

Last edited:
I still don't see why so many people hated the second trailer. I don't mean to say that people shouldn't have hated it; it's their right to feel whatever they want to. I just didn't think anything in it looked bad. Lex was a little over the top at the beginning of it, but that's the only thing in it that gave me pause. I think I liked it better than the latest trailer, because that one seemed to just be selling Batman really hard and kind of ignoring the other stuff.

OTOH, and this is my main sticking point, there totally *are* scenarios where it being bad and successful is bad for everyone, in my view. That is my main fear: that it will be just as much a narrative and concept horror show as Man of Steel, and yet make tons of money anyway, thus triggering even more incoherent, morally offensive super hero movies.

You have more to fear from the likes of Deadpool and the other R rated meta cbms in this regard. But that's only if you really do fear that stuff.

I still don't see why so many people hated the second trailer. I don't mean to say that people shouldn't have hated it; it's their right to feel whatever they want to. I just didn't think anything in it looked bad. Lex was a little over the top at the beginning of it, but that's the only thing in it that gave me pause. I think I liked it better than the latest trailer, because that one seemed to just be selling Batman really hard and kind of ignoring the other stuff.

You're right. Every scene in that trailer is freaking awesome, go watch the reaction videos people loved it.

People whiney because they shouldn't have shown the trinity together and just hinted at Doomsday. Fair enough, but the actual footage is crazy good.

Cb8PBBIWAAEWuVV.jpg:large

You're right. Every scene in that trailer is freaking awesome, go watch the reaction videos people loved it.

People whiney because they shouldn't have shown the trinity together and just hinted at Doomsday. Fair enough, but the actual footage is crazy good.

Again, I hate to bring Marvel comparisons up, but this just goes to show the bias ppl have towards DC. No one complained (as far as I remember anyway) when they showed the Avengers coming together in that one shot at the end of one of the trailers. But people throwing a fit because DC showed Trinity together. huh?

Don't know how but I've just read about 20 pages of this thread. I now feel the need to go elsewhere where there is a little bit more 'hope' (I know it's a skeptic thread)

I would say that this thread is not just 'skeptical', but a place for repeat negatives to come. Yeah, I know, all opinions are valid of course, but some are more than that.

I can only think that moderators want to contain all the 'negative' and possible trolling to one thread so it doesn't pollute other threads here.

I'm really looking forward to this film and am willing to give it a fair shot. I will not let myself become jaded and worn out by all the negatives before I've even watched the film. I also, like a few other sensible folk on here take time out quite frequently from engaging here and elsewhere as it's just too much without taking a break sometimes. I've not watched the final trailer or any tv spots and info for weeks, and that's it now for me.

Hope all you skeptics love the film and I hope I do too. If you can't enjoy the build up to a film event like this, then :shrug:

To add, I'm 'skeptical' about 75% of people who post in this thread. :woot:

Time for much needed sleep. Stay classy guys.

The reason I thought it was pretty bad was a combination of not liking Bruce in the party scene, not liking Lex in the party scene, the "I thought she was with you" part, and the presentation (wrong music, wrong sense of timing). I didn't care that they showed Doomsday and the Trinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"