BvS Skepticism Regarding the Film - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always felt that the positive aspect of this film having a lot of doubters is that if the movie ends up converting a lot of them, then you know they did something really right and it's not only appealing to people with a predisposition to love the movie. Which I'm sure would feel like a lot like vindication to those who've been behind it every step of the way.

Contrary to the belief that so many seem to have that the haters are just hating for the sake of it and are going to hate the movie no matter what, I tend to think that the vast majority of fans (which we all are)...when the lights go down in the theater, there's that little jolt of adrenaline, you check your baggage at the door and you hope to be taken on a ride that you'll enjoy. I think a lot of people are very open to eating crow if the trade-off is getting a movie that they can enjoy for the rest of their lives.

We needed MoS in 2006, not Superman Returns. Superman Returns had one foot stuck in the past. I like the Donnerverse (the first two), but it took them long enough to move on.
the synopsis of SR is very good, love its concept of taking donnerverse as the springboard to leap to higher and new ground.

problem is the execution. singer made it as a spanish soap opera tv show.

the synopsis of SR is very good, love its concept of taking donnerverse as the springboard to leap to higher and new ground.

problem is the execution. singer made it as a spanish soap opera tv show.

Donnerverse is out of touch with modern expectations. Superman would be trolled on every forum not loved

he didn't know that the kid was his, he didn't even know if he could have made a human pregnant, he's an entire different species. And did you expect him to try and take Lois away fro a guy who loves her, is taking care of her and (to superman's knowledge) had a kid with her?

The whole thing about people have moved one without him works perfectly with Jor-el's speech about how he will influence people to be better. The problem is in the execution

MoS was a step in the right direction. More action, an updated suit, a brand new theme, and so on. It was a merge of STM and SMII, so hopefully we're really into brand new territory with BvS.

I am no fan of MOS, but I do not understand the people who turn threads into essay writing competitions, and write thousands of essays complaining about the movie. Personally, I would never dedicate that much time to something that I did not like or enjoy. It seems a bit crazy to me, sad even, but maybe that is just me.

That's what gets me about some fans--why keep talking about something you don't like? There are plenty of movies I hate, dislike or have no feelings towards one way or another, but I wouldn't waste time on message boards complaining about them. I think both Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3 sucked, but I've never spent time on the Spider-Man and X-Men boards ripping them apart.

This is not to say one can't criticize Man of Steel or any other movie. No movie is perfect. Hell, even The Dark Knight can be (and has been) broken down and picked apart. But if you don't like it, let it go.

That's what gets me about some fans--why keep talking about something you don't like? There are plenty of movies I hate, dislike or have no feelings towards one way or another, but I wouldn't waste time on message boards complaining about them. I think both Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3 sucked, but I've never spent time on the Spider-Man and X-Men boards ripping them apart.

This is not to say one can't criticize Man of Steel or any other movie. No movie is perfect. Hell, even The Dark Knight can be (and has been) broken down and picked apart. But if you don't like it, let it go.

We talked about this a couple of days ago in this thread. Basically, for me and I'd wager most others, it comes down to how big a fan you are of the characters/universe. I didn't like IM2, TDW, X3, TASM2 etc. But I've posted about those movies maybe twice, because I'm a casual fan of those characters at very best. But with Superman/Batman and other DC'ers... Love them. Total lifelong devotee. So I'm going to talk about them, whether I love or hate (or something in between) whatever the specific movie/comic/TV show in question.

because they love the character. they hate the movie has ruined him.

having said that, i have seen fans doing more crazy things to bash SR. it's like hate to the bone.

No doubt, this board's a hellhole. I think both sides of the arguement can agree with that one.

Nah. If this place was really a hellhole of any kind, I don't think you and me (along with 95% of the posters who regularly post in this thread and elsewhere) would visit this forum nearly every single day to read and post, sometimes spending hours here.

I am no fan of MOS, but I do not understand the people who turn threads into essay writing competitions, and write thousands of essays complaining about the movie. Personally, I would never dedicate that much time to something that I did not like or enjoy. It seems a bit crazy to me, sad even, but maybe that is just me.

At the same time, I do not understand people who like MoS/arent skeptical feel the need to defend the movie like it's their job.
And that goes for a lot of movies.

I still dont get why if you aren't skeptical that you would come into something called the "Skepticism Regarding the Film" thread and argue. It's like being a Red Sox fan and going into a Yankee bar just to argue.

That's not a shot at you Slade. I'm just saying

Nah. If this place was really a hellhole of any kind, I don't think you and me (along with 95% of the posters who regularly post in this thread and elsewhere) would visit this forum nearly every single day to read and post, sometimes spending hours here.

We have masochistic tendencies, what can I say? :o

For the record if this film does receive both critical and commercial success, i'm not going to gloat to everyone here on this thread who were skeptical about this film whatsoever, instead i am going to be happy as hell that we're finally getting an awesome proper DC cinematic universe in the foreseeable future.

If Batman v Superman is an excellent film that learns from the criticisms of MOS and that resonates with me, I will gladly eat crow. However, I have never enjoyed a Zack Snyder film, which is why I am skeptical. I love the idea of the DC universe being serious. However, I feel that Snyder doesn't know how to separate serious from dark and I feel like his attempts to handle mature themes are at best adolescent. His suggestion of a George Washington biopic in the style of 300 just makes me roll my eyes.

Despite that, as my many posts on the MOS board of old can stand as a testament, I gave Snyder the benefit of the doubt and went into Man of Steel hopeful with an open mind. I came out of it with mixed feelings, which upon repeat viewings became more negative.

I find this place to be one of the best spots on the Internet for discussion about superheroes. It's moderated well, the regulars are (for the most part) level-headed and mature, but it's still the Internet. There's gonna be some bumps in the road for sure.

I find this place to be one of the best spots on the Internet for discussion about superheroes. It's moderated well, the regulars are (for the most part) level-headed and mature, but it's still the Internet. There's gonna be some bumps in the road for sure.

Absolutely. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't still be here after 10 years and neither would a majority of the veteran posters, some of whom like to act as if the whole "superhero movie hype" thing is beneath them.

Imagine Fox going forward F4:2 or another X-men movie after X3 with little to no change to Cast or Crew? Those criticisms would snowball to next film.

Also, people could move on. Yet, WB is trying the same strategy with minor tweaks to cast & crew--Bringing a host of baggage with it.

But there's a good chance that warner bros and the cast & crew of BvS learned their lesson from MoS. So it'll be fine in the end. It'll make money.

Wait... hold up. Snyder wants to do a George Washington movie, 300-style?

Uh... no. Please, Zack. Just flush that idea down the toilet.

Side note... whatever happened to that George Washington movie that Cavill, Fassbender and Charlie "Hollywood is really determined to make me happen" Hunnam were supposedly in the running for?

Side note... whatever happened to that George Washington movie that Cavill, Fassbender and Charlie "Hollywood is really determined to make me happen" Hunnam were supposedly in the running for?

If it's anything like how Robot Chicken envisioned it, I'd pay to see it.

EDIT: removed video because of cursing

Just look for Robot Chicken 1776.

If Batman v Superman is an excellent film that learns from the criticisms of MOS and that resonates with me, I will gladly eat crow. However, I have never enjoyed a Zack Snyder film, which is why I am skeptical. I love the idea of the DC universe being serious. However, I feel that Snyder doesn't know how to separate serious from dark and I feel like his attempts to handle mature themes are at best adolescent. His suggestion of a George Washington biopic in the style of 300 just makes me roll my eyes.

Despite that, as my many posts on the MOS board of old can stand as a testament, I gave Snyder the benefit of the doubt and went into Man of Steel hopeful with an open mind. I came out of it with mixed feelings, which upon repeat viewings became more negative.

Yup. Snyder and WB looks to be trying to have their cake and eat it too with this.

I enjoyed Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter for what it was (saw it for free) so I'm not above it. Not sure I'd spend money on it but hey there's worse ways to spend two hours.

Which is why I am skeptical about this film. Snyder movies tend to always look good from trailer and tv spots because those sort of marketing materials are just a collection of cool moments, which is good at. However, as evidenced by his public desire to do a 300-style Washington film, I find Simple Zack to be a pretty immature, unintelligent storyteller. His macho sensibilities are just so painfully adolescent. Which is not to say that a DC movie needs to be high art. These are comic book superhero movies after all and certain sense of fun and for all ages attitude is fine, but if you are going to take a Nolan-esque serious approach you need to have a little more depth and maturity. I say that in full acknowledge that Nolan can be less than subtle with his themes.

Which is why I am skeptical about this film. Snyder movies tend to always look good from trailer and tv spots because those sort of marketing materials are just a collection of cool moments, which is good at. However, as evidenced by his public desire to do a 300-style Washington film, I find Simple Zack to be a pretty immature, unintelligent storyteller. His macho sensibilities are just so painfully adolescent. Which is not to say that a DC movie needs to be high art. These are comic book superhero movies after all and certain sense of fun and for all ages attitude is fine, but if you are going to take a Nolan-esque serious approach you need to have a little more depth and maturity. I say that in full acknowledge that Nolan can be less than subtle with his themes.

Sometimes, I picture a mad scientist trying to make a director like Michael Bay. He puts the creature together and calls it Zack Synder. Then, he asks his deformed helper to find a suitable brain. The helper breaks into a lab and finds a brain in a jar, but drops it on the floor...

"Oh, crap..." He looks around, and finds another brain. "Oh, well...he'll never find out!"

The helper exits the lab with the jar, which is marked: "Rob Liefeld".

It was a throw away comment in a larger interview where he talked about a picture in his office and was just musing about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"