Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shots with the mini Venom head popping off of Eddie and talking to him is really cool but it makes me wish it was practical, it'd help a lot not having everything be that CGI cause it isn't always super great looking in the trailer.

I agree with whoever said that this looks like a movie that would be released in the 90s.

Pretty solid trailer. Overall the cgi seems well rendered and Hardy really sells hiss performance. Venom looks just the right size and Hardy's voice for him is superb.

The hate is strong around here lol dang. Everywhere else on the internet is really digging it.

May have to leave this cesspool til the films release and go elsewhere if this is just gonna be a bunch of guys sitting around bashing something they clearly hated the idea of since day 1, and have absolutely no intention of being open to and changing their minds on

Every time the buzz and hype and excitement for this movie gets going, the same people step in and throw as many buckets of water around as they can. It's perfectly fine to dislike this movie, but some people are actually excited about it. So if you want to have discussions, bring them on :up: But the hate-spam, which is exactly what it is, has gotten ridiculous in here

Oh please. I can only speak for myself, but I love superhero movies of all kinds, even just for childhood nostalgia. I saw Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad and even Fant4stic in theaters despite having read reviews. Sure I'd prefer an MCU Venom, but I'm open to a good movie. Nolan's Batman movies aren't connected to anything and change a ton, but they're good films so people are cool with it. And granted, good movies can have bad trailers and bad movies can have good trailers. I thought Spy looked terrible from trailers and it was very good. I thought Suicide Squad had terrific trailers and I hate that movie.

This Venom trailer makes it look Fant4stic-level bad. Tom Hardy's New York accent is a shade away from Simple Jack, and that's not even in the top 5 biggest problems it looks like this movie has. Good god.

Oh please. I can only speak for myself, but I love superhero movies of all kinds, even just for childhood nostalgia. I saw Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad and even Fant4stic in theaters despite having read reviews. Sure I'd prefer an MCU Venom, but I'm open to a good movie. Nolan's Batman movies aren't connected to anything and change a ton, but they're good films so people are cool with it. And granted, good movies can have bad trailers and bad movies can have good trailers. I thought Spy looked terrible from trailers and it was very good. I thought Suicide Squad had terrific trailers and I hate that movie.

This Venom trailer makes it look Fant4stic-level bad. Tom Hardy's New York accent is a shade away from Simple Jack, and that's not even in the top 5 biggest problems it looks like this movie has. Good god.

In your opinion :up:

In mine, it's easily my most anticipated movie of the year. I'm incredibly excited to see this and have liked everything I've seen so far

I agree with whoever said that this looks like a movie that would be released in the 90s.

It does, and I find that pretty neat. There's a familiar stark feel of Fight Club, Blade, and Wes Craven's New Nightmare.

Not sure how this has generally been received as a whole but the comment section on r/movies is pretty cold on this trailer.

I see a lot of people saying it looks ok. Venom looks cool but the story looks dumb.

In your opinion :up:

In mine, it's easily my most anticipated movie of the year. I'm incredibly excited to see this and have liked everything I've seen so far

Then make a venom positive thread. Many of us hated the amazing franchise so excuse us for not getting on the hype train. Sony lost trust but eh

We'll see. No one is winning is going to win for having the best Venom opinion in July. If you hated the trailer, cool. I didn't hate the trailer. I think the movie may entertain me yet. If you disagree, that's fine. No need to force your opinion as the only opinion.

Agreed :up:

This is my single greatest criticism of the movie so far. I get the palate swap idea. It's tried and true, and Riot's color scheme fits that bill. But for visual diversity, it's not different enough. They should have used Lasher or Scream (if Carnage was not going to be in it).

I’ll be honest I had no problem telling who was who in the trailer, put it this way from the clips shown I knew Venom was losing the fight and looked clearly outmatched.

Saw somebody say that Venom doesn't look better than King Shark on CW's Flash. So I'm looking it up again and honestly, I think King Shark actually looks better than Venom. Where did the CGI budget go?

For a TV show sometimes the CGI blows my mind on how good it is.

Sometimes the CG is totally TV budget though. King Shark and Grodd are amazing looking.

Eddie Brock sounds like Bobby Boucher and it irks me.

You know what's crazy? I always thought Tom Hardy sounded a bit like Scuba Sam in Big Daddy as Bane in TDKR.

"I'm Scuba Sam, Scuba Steve's FATHA!"

Does Hardy intentionally try to channel his inner-Adam Sandler

Last edited:
The hate is strong around here lol dang. Everywhere else on the internet is really digging it.

May have to leave this cesspool til the films release and go elsewhere if this is just gonna be a bunch of guys sitting around bashing something they clearly hated the idea of since day 1, and have absolutely no intention of being open to and changing their minds on

Every time the buzz and hype and excitement for this movie gets going, the same people step in and throw as many buckets of water around as they can. It's perfectly fine to dislike this movie, but some people are actually excited about it. So if you want to have discussions, bring them on :up: But the hate-spam, which is exactly what it is, has gotten ridiculous in here

I agree fully. I know a few people on here who utterly hate the character and won't give Venom or this film any love at all. So,I didn't expect anything less from them. But I'll admit I was shocked at all the hate on here. Everywhere else I've checked most people are excited. I do get some of it. Not everyone is gonna like what you you and that's ok,but I thought the trailer was good. Hopefully the movie will be too. But the hate here is overwhelming it seems.

On an unrelated note, it's nice to see that Venom still has a taste for the eyes, lungs, and pancreas-

DjdU2NhV4AAItag.jpg

Like. A. Turd. In. The. Wind.

All those moments will be lost in time. Like a turd in the wind. Time to die.

Anyway, I didn't hate this trailer any more than the first one. I also didn't hate Eddie Brock's accent like some people. In some ways, it felt like he was channeling the animated series voice.

That being said, the greater action set pieces made me like the movie less, which is weird because I thought it needed them. It was just hard to be excited to see CGI Venom fight other CGI ooze creature. The last trailer suggested a more cerebral approach.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say this: despite this movie looking great, if the movie is great when it comes out, we'll be so happy, sure; but in the end, we can only be bittersweet. And nothing will change that, and we all know why. Venom looks so great, but because we'll never get him to face off against Spidey because this isn't an MCU-set film, no matter how happy we'll be, we're all be bittersweet at the end of the day. And that's the truth.

I think I speak for everyone here when I say this: despite this movie looking great, if the movie is great when it comes out, we'll be so happy, sure; but in the end, we can only be bittersweet. And nothing will change that, and we all know why. Venom looks so great, but because we'll never get him to face off against Spidey because this isn't an MCU-set film, no matter how happy we'll be, we're all be bittersweet at the end of the day. And that's the truth.

For some reason this doesn't scream blockbuster to me.
It screams good first weekend opening then 80% drop the next. Marvel will end up winning like they always do.

I'm bursting with anticipation now. Venom looks, sounds, and moves just as he should. The lack of symbol and absence of Spider-man isn't an issue since this is a darker story, one that is obviously influenced more by the Venom solos than his early appearances. Venom is brutal, intimidating, funny, and conflicted. That's all that I ever wanted from his first real appearance on the silver screen.

Bring on Oct 5th! :sym:

To me it feels like they had a lot of the right ideas to make a great Venom film but various things were lost in translation due to clumsy execution. The ingredients are there, but they yanked it out of the oven after 30 min. when it required at least 3 hrs prior to principal photography.

My hype was certainly diminished but I hope the movie surprises me and contains more finesse then it appears.

People making the Spawn connection are Hilarious. Wonder who ripped who off again?

I and many were expecting this to be a horror/thriller, which would have made for a Marvel movie that was a refreshing nice change from the type of Marvel movies that Marvel Studios and even FOX makes, but after the latest trailer, it looks like a straight-up action/comedy.

Last edited:
Pronounciation: The actress who pronounces the word may just have a bit of an accent and was simply spelling out a strange sounding word as she said it and the director just left it in thinking it gave a bit of personality texture (who knows from story angle, fanplanation could be she's from overseas coming to work for Life Foundation until realizes they're no good and need to be reported upon but can't report directly to cops under fear for her life as well as losing her work visa or something like that). If other people say this the same way then fine critique noted.

Eyes: The Eyes appear pretty much on all Symbiotes in the comics regardless of whether related to Venom or not.

Costume Sort of Look Vs. Creature Emphasis: Eddie's simply presented in the movie as wearing a symbiote instead of wearing a symbiote that mimics aspects of a costume. The larger eyes and spider-logo wouldn't make sense as said history involving Spiderman isn't there from the get-go and I get this complaint but as far as the look goes I like it so far as presented in the movie.
The mouth swallowing Tom Hardy's head as the face appears is a good effect as well to really make this feel alive and visceral. However, I see no reason Eddie can't simply be sitting back on the sofa perhaps at some point watching the news and see something that inspires him to adapt a more costumed look in the future with a perhaps leaner appearance (think Venom on a treadmill shedding some of that excess off).

Texture: The person who mentioned imagining Venom having a more tar like appearance (number of pages back on this thread) I think provides a good alternative visual that should be presented at some point. Maybe if the Symbiote is worn for a certain length of time it could start to dry out and assume this sort of texture. If you were to combine this with a more costumed look at some point, I could see Venom having an almost puppet like appearance that might come off as a bit less threatening initially but provide for an unnerving smile.
Someone e-mail Sony

Great post :up:

Thanks.

One interesting sort of thing I kind of realized thinking on this some more is that for the most part Peter Parker seems to always have worn the black suit more or less as a costume as opposed to a symbiote that enters into his body like it does with Brock. I suppose this is due to the comic writer's not conceiving of the black suit as a symbiote type creature for quite some time after it was originally introduced (fanplanation I suppose could try and rationalize it didn't like Peter's irradiated blood but I don't recall ever seeing this mentioned)...

With that being said I have to get this idea out of my system:
This whole thing with the symbiote being presented only as a costume for a while in the comics, makes me think this oddity from the comics is something any film featuring Venom could really try and run with. The suit assuming a more tar like texture and scaled down appearance I suppose could also coincide with Eddie not wearing the symbiote for a while. When off of him, it could attach to an article of clothing before being able to mimic it as the symbiote is then hung up in a closet as a copy of this piece of clothing while it's hibernating perhaps. Going along with this, perhaps there can be something like the costume making machine seen in Secret Wars #8 (inside Doom's fortress on Beyonder's Battleworld) but instead on the alien spaceship in the movie. This machine on the ship, could be used to store some symbiote suits for the ship's crew that are contained within the capsules (as seen on the trailer) that keep the symbiotes in a stassis like state that the ships crew could open similar to accessing an article of clothing in a closet.

The absence from having the suit on all the time would create a bit of tension in the relationship between the host and symbiote with the host essentially going through withdrawal if away for too long. In the comics it's interesting how Eddie can switch from being totally ok with killing someone to a 180 degree change in direction not wanting to all of a sudden. Past precedent doesn't seem to dictate future behavior all the time and I think sort of a who is in control the symbiote or the host question could really be played with by keeping them apart at times. Of course once the symbiote attaches to host it could assume either a costumed puppet like look (wearing it like a costume) or full on monstrous hulk like expansion (if goes back within the host's body and resides for a while).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"