Venom Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie - Part 4

Again, we don't know, LOL! It's all speculation.

Maybe the spin offs were never about spider-man.

Just look at the Sinister 6 movie they had planned... that wasn't about spider-man. infact they were almost trying to make it its own thing without needing spider-man.

Maybe they want films that don't need spidey to hold them up and if they feel they do and still really want this universe... well?

Chances are Sony wouldn't be allowed to do that unless Marvel let them.

Although when people talk about Marvel i think they tend to forget that the Marvel tv shows and movies share the same universe but they have different runners... Feige has very little to nothing to do with the tv show side of things and presumably he isn't in charge of what goes on there, but has to still take consideration for it even if its something like the Inhumans.

Basically there isn't 1 faction within the MCU. Which is pretty much why very little is shared across the movies and tv shows.

Feige doesn't have to worry about the tv side. He doesn't have to worry about marvel at all. That ended when he had his bust up with perlmutter. They created a seperate company that feige is in charge of answering only to disney. They are shared universe in name only. The tv will go with whatever the films decide. Basically feeding off the scraps. Doesn't mean they can't make some good shows though also doesn't mean that feige will do anything to mess up the tv shows. Just for the time being it seems the mcu ignores the tv side. Hopefully that changes with the aquisition of fox.

As for an mcu character appearing in a seperate universe i was talking about spiderman. They will be worried about him being in films they have no control of.

I keep hearing people say that Sony owns Spider-Man, therefore they can do whatever they want with Holland's Spider-Man. But I don't believe that at all.

That depends whether there were any loopholes with marvel to allow them to do that.

Now most would say naah marvel wouldn't let them do that but compromise does have to come to some agreements.

John Campea is at it again. "Venom needs to be successful in order to keep Spider-Man in the MCU!"

I mean... I don't know how Sony operates and what their intentions are, but does that really make sense? I don't know if or how the Venom box office will impact Spider-Man in the MCU.

Actually, what he is saying does make sense. Sony wants to be in the superhero market clearly. We like to think Venom failing means they will want out altogether, but it is quite possible the lesson Sony will take if Venom fails is "Our universe cannot work without Spider-Man in it." So they may take him back so they can spam Spider-Man into anything they can and build their own universe. TASM2 may not have done what it was supposed to, but it still made 700mil WW. Why help the MCU when your goal is to compete with them? Spider-Man is arguably the most popular superhero (him or Batman, but Spidey sells more merch than Batman does).

I am not saying Sony will 100% see it this way...but it is a compelling argument, and one that makes sense.

They absolutely can’t compete with Marvel or D.C. with just one main hero character and his villains and supports. Iron Man, Cap and co could easily do fine with 4th films but when you have a universe of material you have the luxury of giving some things a rest at the right time and trying out others.

Sony could go in that direction for sure. "Venom failed, we need to put Spider-Man in it to make it work." They may also see it as "Venom failed, we need to keep working with Marvel to keep the Spider-Man live action films going." It could also be "Venom worked, we don't need Spider-Man," or "Venom worked, let's take Spider-Man and just make our own universe." Sony can literally do anything.

Although they do have "Into the Spider Verse" coming out as well, which I think is a stronger selling point for them to stand out. They could have an animated cinematic universe and that would be pretty cool, assuming the movie is good. I think that film is the key to getting Sony their own film universe.

While TASM2 did make 700M, it was also the lowest grossing of the franchise, and the series had a steady decline (not to mention the insane production and marketing budgets making the film not very profitable). TASM3 would have probably made closer to 600M I'm guessing, maybe lower?

They absolutely can’t compete with Marvel or D.C. with just one main hero character and his villains and supports. Iron Man, Cap and co could easily do fine with 4th films but when you have a universe of material you have the luxury of giving some things a rest at the right time and trying out others.

I agree they cannot compete on the level of Marvel or DC. So they're Kraven movies and such I think are destined to be much smaller films. But, I can see them thinking a Venom/Spider-Man crossover movie fighting Carnage, or a movie of Spidey fighting the Sinister Six, etc. Those could be big money makers (or at least, I can see Sony seeing these as potential big money makers...given what a Spidey movie grosses on average). They'll never compete with the MCU, but I can see them thinking they still can bank off the superhero craze.

I agree they cannot compete on the level of Marvel or DC. So they're Kraven movies and such I think are destined to be much smaller films. But, I can see them thinking a Venom/Spider-Man crossover movie fighting Carnage, or a movie of Spidey fighting the Sinister Six, etc. Those could be big money makers (or at least, I can see Sony seeing these as potential big money makers...given what a Spidey movie grosses on average). They'll never compete with the MCU, but I can see them thinking they still can bank off the superhero craze.
Yeah, a perfectly executed Spidey and allies vs Sinister 6 film could be Avengers size. But those kind of events just don’t have longevity when doing that already uses most of your best characters in one film. 1 or 2 sequels and then it would become difficult to have anything of that size again. Long term though I don’t see how pumping out tightly Spidey-related films nonstop can keep working. Seeing Spidey work with other combinations of main heroes in the way that is possible in the MCU can keep things fresh for longer, especially if he has the luxury of a rest every now and then.

Yeah, a perfectly executed Spidey and allies vs Sinister 6 film could be Avengers size. But those kind of events just don’t have longevity when doing that already uses most of your best characters in one film. 1 or 2 sequels and then it would become difficult to have anything of that size again. Long term though I don’t see how pumping out tightly Spidey-related films nonstop can keep working. Seeing Spidey work with other combinations of main heroes in the way that is possible in the MCU can keep things fresh for longer, especially if he has the luxury of a rest every now and then.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am in agreement with you here. However, Sony makes nothing on his appearances in like IW, CW, etc. Only the solo Spidey films. Sony is going to do everything they can to mine the property for more money and stretch it as far as they can. That's why we're even talking about like, half of these movies even being possible. Sony I don't think overtly cares about Spider-Man staying fresh. They want Spider-Man to just keep printing them money. We as fans care that he stays fresh. I think most of us clearly want him to stay in the MCU. I am just really curious to see how all this plays out. I see many possibilities.

Last edited:
We as fans care that he stays fresh.
So...does Sony or else they wouldn't be pushing him and his universe in so many avenues.
I'm still waiting for the day Sony somehow gets re-involved with the tv side of things.

So...does Sony or else they wouldn't be pushing him and his universe in so many avenues.
I'm still waiting for the day Sony somehow gets re-involved with the tv side of things.

That is not an argument that Sony cares that Spider-Man remains fresh, that is an argument they care that he continues to have exposure. There is a big difference. They'll rehash the same garbage if it keeps making money, regardless if the character starts to seem stale.

That is not an argument that Sony cares that Spider-Man remains fresh, that is an argument they care that he continues to have exposure. There is a big difference. They'll rehash the same garbage if it keeps making money, regardless if the character starts to seem stale.
It's a circular argument. They like Marvel can't exploit the character for continued profit growth if the IP doesn't remain fresh and for the first time ever across so many points of exposure. Venom, on its own, is a long time coming, they're finally doing it and they're doing it without the reason Venom exists elsewhere.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I am in agreement with you here. However, Sony makes nothing of his appearances in like IW, CW, etc. Only the solo Spidey films. Sony is going to do everything they can to mine the property for more money and stretch it as far as they can. That's why we're even talking about like, half of these movies even being possible. Sony I don't think overtly cares about Spider-Man staying fresh. They want Spider-Man to just keep printing them money. We as fans care that he stays fresh. I think most of us clearly want him to stay in the MCU. I am just really curious to see how all this plays out. I see many possibilities.
I think Sony need him to stay fresh to make money from him long term. Even amongst fans I don’t think there is that same obligation to go to every Spidey film from now on after the tripe of TASM2, and particularly when he is no longer supported by the MCU. Otherwise within another decade he could be burnt out, but then many execs seem to be very much short termists who are ok with burning future prospects to get better bonuses now.

Sony doesn't make money from Spider-Man appearing in Infinity War or A4, but that is sort of like free advertising for them. It will probably give Spider-Man: Far From Home a bit of a boost, especially since that film comes out shortly after A4.

If the character stops being fresh, their movies will make less money. You could argue that their spin-off films will help keep it fresh, but I highly doubt they will have a positive impact on the franchise.

Dm0HkhlXoAA_T5L.jpg

I think Sony need him to stay fresh to make money from him long term. Even amongst fans I don’t think there is that same obligation to go to every Spidey film from now on after the tripe of TASM2, and particularly when he is no longer supported by the MCU. Otherwise within another decade he could be burnt out, but then many execs seem to be very much short termists who are ok with burning future prospects to get better bonuses now.

While the MCU has shown patience over the years, most other studios show they don't have that patience. Why care about where the property is 10 years from now if you're likely not even going to be with the company by then and won't be making money off it? It's the sad truth about Hollywood, producers want to make money and they want it immediately. See the story about that JL producer who wouldn't delay the movie because he was unsure if it came out in 2018 if he would get the bonus he was due. It would have been better to delay it and get it right, but he didn't care. Though that story is unconfirmed, it highlights a producer's mentality. Isn't Sony run by Tom Rothman now? Remember, he was the master mind who almost ruined FOX in the 2000s and wanted all his movies to be around 90-100 mins.

While the MCU has shown patience over the years, most other studios show they don't have that patience. Why care about where the property is 10 years from now if you're likely not even going to be with the company by then and won't be making money off it? It's the sad truth about Hollywood, producers want to make money and they want it immediately. See the story about that JL producer who wouldn't delay the movie because he was unsure if it came out in 2018 if he would get the bonus he was due. It would have been better to delay it and get it right, but he didn't care. Though that story is unconfirmed, it highlights a producer's mentality. Isn't Sony run by Tom Rothman now? Remember, he was the master mind who almost ruined FOX in the 2000s and wanted all his movies to be around 90-100 mins.
Yep, unfortunately there have been many dumb or plain crap people in charge at the top. Hopefully this changes as we can see what happens when the people with talent are allowed to do their thing along with good management from above,

With all this talk of Sony selling it's film division in the near future, anything is possible. I've heard speculation that their reason for starting this cinematic universe is to increase the value of the company when selling it off.

Who knows.

Last edited:
I think that if they change their minds and later add Spider-Man in this franchise, it will only complicate things! It already got harder when they decided that Venom is not gonna be tied to Spider-Man (Venom EXISTS because of Spidey!!), but they will only F things up more if they twist it again and later tie him to Spider-Man. It's done and dusted by now, let's just hope the movie won't be a complete flop and if it won't, let's just hope it will be above average, which I personally doubt, but hope dies last...

Lord I hope they don’t take spidey away from marvel . They’ll probably reboot him again and the backlash will be immense

Fandom and backlash with along with each other no matter what you do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"