Spider-man 3 and 4 back to back?

he dies. Sam Raimi said so. This entire topic is pointless.

Pagrebo said:
I just hope you don't come around to accepting the reality of this situation at the same time you also realize that Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy aren't ... well... oh, never mind... I'll let you figure it all out in your own good time.:p

I didn't say part 4 was being filmed, I just said it's possible. the only thing I said with certainty was that something involving part 4 has been going down. Wouldn't the contract between Gaestro and Marvel to do the toyline for part 4 count as that at minimum?

If you want to insist that it's impossible by all means go for it, but you do know that santa clause, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, God, Allah, Satan, and Ghostbusters aren't real don't you?

theShape said:
Why the hell did you withdraw all of your posts?

LAME.

I pulled my comments on the subject simply because the tone of discussion in the thread changed from debate to some kind of 'put-down' contest for zingers on why those who entertained such a notion were out-of-touch. A page or so back, someone was cautioning someone about the heartbreak in-store when they made some terrible discovery about Santa. Has something happened at the North Pole that I'm not aware of?!? ; )

Seriously, I make my living in 'Show biz' and the production schedule just doesn't add up to me...or anyone else I know. More than one person has brought up the idea to me that 'something else' might be going on with the schedule. No one I've discussed this with can recall any director (anyone in the last forty or fifty years) with the kind of clout you'd need to get such a 'comfy' overall schedule. There's enough room to drive a mack truck through...it looks suspicious. That's all.

I just made the point that it was possible that 'something else' was going on and so many were so vehemently diametrically opposed that I withdrew the comments. I come here for fun and occasional debate...not to argue about projects with which I am not directly associated. So I just backed out. No big deal.

Jack Phantom said:
I pulled my comments on the subject simply because the tone of discussion in the thread changed from debate to some kind of 'put-down' contest for zingers on why those who entertained such a notion were out-of-touch. A page or so back, someone was cautioning someone about the heartbreak in-store when they made some terrible discovery about Santa. Has something happened at the North Pole that I'm not aware of?!? ; )

Seriously, I make my living in 'Show biz' and the production schedule just doesn't add up to me...or anyone else I know. More than one person has brought up the idea to me that 'something else' might be going on with the schedule. No one I've discussed this with can recall any director (anyone in the last forty or fifty years) with the kind of clout you'd need to get such a 'comfy' overall schedule. There's enough room to drive a mack truck through...it looks suspicious. That's all.

I just made the point that it was possible that 'something else' was going on and so many were so vehemently diametrically opposed that I withdrew the comments. I come here for fun and occasional debate...not to argue about projects with which I am not directly associated. So I just backed out. No big deal.

You've got a point, Jack.

But it ain't happening.

nobody knows for a fact and it's arrogant for them to think they do. nobody here is an inside man, and this is the kind of thing the studio would want to remain secret, so the ending still has some suspense. If you knew certain people were in part 4, than whenever they were in danger it wouldn't be very exciting because you already know how it's going to turn out. Like when johny depp appeared to have died in Pirates 2's ending. It was weak as hell, because I already knew he was in part 3.

farmerfran:

"You've got a point, Jack.

But it ain't happening."

Thanks, FarmerFran. That's all I'm saying: it is just an interesting point of discussion that the start-to-finish/release schedule is more than unusually large, even for such a 'big' film...not so much that a complete surprise sequel is being lensed in that time...just wondering...And like Spider-Bite pointed out, we're all armchair directors here. No one outside of the cast/crew really does know with absolute certainty what's going on with the production. Good point about 'Pirates' as well. Whether right or wrong...I just think it's fun guessing.

why do people still think there's gonna be a forth one, because there's not

gvcool2 said:
you know this how?

Exactly.

The only people that know are Sony, Raimi, and the cast and crew.

Jack Phantom said:
A page or so back, someone was cautioning someone about the heartbreak in-store when they made some terrible discovery about Santa.

Geez, that was me, and I thought I was making a funny. Let me try another one: All work and no play is making Jack(Phantom) a humorless boy. (That's a joke, i.e., not meant to be taken to heart. Forgive me for not being a sensitive new millenium kind of guy.):)

Jack Phantom said:
No one I've discussed this with can recall any director (anyone in the last forty or fifty years) with the kind of clout you'd need to get such a 'comfy' overall schedule.

And who was the last director EVER to put up back-to-back films pulling in a combined $1.6 Billion? George Lucas? He can do Star Wars any way and/or any time he wants. Peter Jackson? He was allowed to indulge himself with a 3 hour King Kong, when 2 hours was more than enough. Bottom line is Raimi has the track record with this franchise, AND Sony has $250 million invested in this. They aren't going to rush anything or anyone with that much money on the line.

I seriously doubt they're filming them back to back. We knew a long time before Dead Man's Chest was released that they were filming the sequel along with it - the same goes for Back the Future and The Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions.

Simply we'd know by now if Spidey 4 is being filmed with 3.

Pagrebo said:
Geez, that was me, and I thought I was making a funny. Let me try another one: All work and no play is making Jack(Phantom) a humorless boy. (That's a joke, i.e., not meant to be taken to heart. Forgive me for not being a sensitive new millenium kind of guy.):)

And who was the last director EVER to put up back-to-back films pulling in a combined $1.6 Billion? George Lucas? He can do Star Wars any way and/or any time he wants. Peter Jackson? He was allowed to indulge himself with a 3 hour King Kong, when 2 hours was more than enough. Bottom line is Raimi has the track record with this franchise, AND Sony has $250 million invested in this. They aren't going to rush anything or anyone with that much money on the line.

I got the joke...mine just wasn't as good! : )

Seriously, this is my fourth re-write on a reply...they keep getting verbose and I can't get 'em posted.

Lucas budgeted SW I-III personally...so he set up the projects exactly the way he wanted. Fox had distribution and other rights. Jackson leveraged Kong out LOTR success and most believe he spent his "good-will capital" with the studio over it. We're talking about a clique of directors numbering fewer than five, including what Gibson did with 'Passion.'

I'm not saying that SM3 and SM4 are shooting back-to-back. But with the cushy-schedule and the long shoot avails, it is very possible that SM3 could come in 'heavy' and what's trimmed could be culled for a future project. Believe me, I know Sony is guarding it's front-end money on the production...but the studio is far-more concerned about the R.O.I. than the story quality or art of the film. After all, Fox made it's money back plus profit on what Ratner put together for X3. I know the kind of hoots and howls a statement like that will get...so let me say again, "...the studio is far-more concerned about the R.O.I. than the story quality or art of the film." The longer the production schedule and/or the longer the film sits on a shelf (the way Hollywood beancounters work their math), the longer the studio loses money on the project. That's why most productions allow as little time between the final shoot/editing process and release as is humanly possible. The studios figure the film awaiting release as a loss until it sells tickets at the local cineplex.

I'm just saying that with the recent callout for re-shoots (not just the usual pick-ups) and the rumor of last minute script revisions/edits... put together with the production schedule...it makes the idea of 'something else' going-on concurrently seem more plausible.

farmerfran said:
Exactly.

The only people that know are Sony, Raimi, and the cast and crew.

at this point in time, I'm not even sure raimi knows thats how up in the air this topic is, everything is speculation and it's impossible to officialy claim that a 4th will or won't be made

gvcool2 said:
at this point in time, I'm not even sure raimi knows thats how up in the air this topic is, everything is speculation and it's impossible to officialy claim that a 4th will or won't be made

That's a good point. What I was saying above about SM3 coming in 'heavy' and the culls ending up in a future project means Raimi and/or Sony is hedging bets by

1) having so a wealth of footage at hand in editing that they have the best possible film for release in SM3

and...

2) with a number of sequences available in the can for a sequel, should one be green-lighted...production could start 'ahead-of-schedule' from day one.

you do make valid points, but if they were making 2 movies, it would be a MUCH longer shooting schedule and right now i think raimi just wants to make the perfect third movie he can, which I feel is the reason for the long schedule and reshoot.

Jack Phantom said:
I'm just saying that with the recent callout for re-shoots (not just the usual pick-ups) and the rumor of last minute script revisions/edits... put together with the production schedule...it makes the idea of 'something else' going-on concurrently seem more plausible.
I agree with that. I don't think they're shooting Spidey 4 now, but maybe they are making last minute changes because of Spidey 4. Maybe just recently they managed to sign some member of the cast needed for another movie, and the closure of the trilogy became just another chapter.
Well, at least we are gonna get a hell of a lot of DVD extras :)

gvcool2 said:
...but if they were making 2 movies, it would be a MUCH longer shooting schedule ...

Good point...and I'm not saying that Raimi is making two...just that he may have planned ahead some and is filming some key sequences which could be edited into SM3 and/or SM4...that sort of planning would be smart filmmaking, save time and therefore money on SM4's production schedule, and if the sequel doesn't appear to be on the horizon...Raimi still has great footage in the can to re-edit SM3 before release or for special edition DVD packaging.

They are NOT making Spidey 3 & 4 back to back... it's been said many times before, and also by Raimi... they dont have the money to do that!

Naite22 said:
They are NOT making Spidey 3 & 4 back to back... it's been said many times before, and also by Raimi... they dont have the money to do that!

Thank you! Now somebody bury this thread.:o

Jack Phantom said:
Lucas budgeted SW I-III personally...so he set up the projects exactly the way he wanted. Fox had distribution and other rights. Jackson leveraged Kong out LOTR success and most believe he spent his "good-will capital" with the studio over it. We're talking about a clique of directors numbering fewer than five, including what Gibson did with 'Passion.'
And if Raimi screws up SM3, he'll be out of "good-will capital" as well. My point is simply that because of the success of the first two, he does have an almost carte blanche atmosphere around this film. If he wants reshoots, he gets them. If he wants rewrites, he'll have them.
I'm not saying that SM3 and SM4 are shooting back-to-back. But with the cushy-schedule and the long shoot avails, it is very possible that SM3 could come in 'heavy' and what's trimmed could be culled for a future project.
I agree wholeheartedly with this possibility. Of course, depending upon what they "cut & save", making it useable would depend upon getting the original cast back for SM4. I still believe Sony is in "wait-and-see" mode on SM3 before they commit to SM4.
"...the studio is far-more concerned about the R.O.I. than the story quality or art of the film."
Agreed, but don't you believe, though, that the studio understands that ROI on a movie with this kind of budget is heavily dependant upon the quality being maintained or improved? Sony is plenty concerned about the quality in order to increase their ROI. There are no guarantees(plenty of big budget flops historically), but Sony has been signing off on anything and everything in this film. They have not just relinquished control and buried their heads in the sand, hoping for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"