SPIDER-MAN 3=Marvel's BATMAN & ROBIN?

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
*Both movies also introduced the heroes' first significant love interests (Julie Madison for Batman and Gwen Stacy for Spider-Man), yet they ultimately come across as one-dimensional and play little real importance to the overall plot at the end of the day.

*Both movies use mind-control as a plot device (i.e. Poison Ivy's love potion and the symbiote respectively).

*Both movies seem to portray the police as utterly incompetent boobs. In Spider-Man 3, how come Captain Stacy doesn't seem so concerned over his daughter dangling for her life on a crane? Also, there's the important subject of Captain Stacy all of a sudden telling Peter and Aunt May the truth surrounding Uncle Ben's death. In Batman & Robin, we get by far, the most degrading portrayal of Gordon from Pat Hingle (i.e. having him say lines like "There's a new villain on the loose!" and the scene in which Poison Ivy is seducing him before telling him that "He's too old for her!").

*Both movies feature butlers who eventually and somehow play pivotal roles in the plot towards the end.

*Both movies feature popular modern age villains (i.e. Bane and Venom), whose portrayals wound up to be heavily criticized by fans.

*The whole conflict (often boiling down to jealousy and miscommunication) between Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson arguably mirrors that of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson in Spider-Man 3.

*Both franchises got rebooted for darker, more "realistic" adaptations after these movies.

*Both films are heavily criticized for seemingly spoofing the source material. More to the point, both films were criticized for not portraying the main characters properly.

*In both films the marketing and studio interference more than likely negatively effected the finished and overall product.

*Both suffered from an excess of villains and side characters.

*Both Sandman and Mr. Freeze's motives for committing crime is to aid a sick loved one.

Last edited:
Spider-man 3 has it's faults,but in NO way,shape or form is it as bad as Batman and Robin. Hell,I wouldn't even consider it in the area of one of the worst comic book films ever. Yes,it's an extremely flawed film in many ways,but it's still alot of fun,entertaining and it still manages to care about the main characters. It gets way too much hate(and this coming from a HUGE Venom/symbiote fan).
Just my humble opinion. :yay:

Spider-man 3 has it's faults,but in NO way,shape or form is it as bad as Batman and Robin. Hell,I wouldn't even consider it in the area of one of the worst comic book films ever. Yes,it's an extremely flawed film in many ways,but it's still alot of fun,entertaining and it still manages to care about the main characters. It gets way too much hate(and this coming from a HUGE Venom/symbiote fan).
Just my humble opinion. :yay:

Agreed! I was never a fan of Venom until SM3 made "get" the character. However this is in NO WAY MArvel's Batman and Robin. It was a step down from one of the best superhero films ever made with SM2, but only a step. B&R went runing down the steps. If you want to see a MArvel version of Batman and Robin may I suggest some of the tv films such as Dr Strange and Elektra. Oh and Howard the Duck.

Never did I associate Spider-Man 3 with Batman and Robin,

I would say that calling Spider-Man 3 the Batman & Robin of Marvel is an overstatement.

Gosh dangit...."GwensNeckBrace"....that name made me laugh.

Spider-Man 3 and Batman & Robin don't deserve to have an equal sign between them.

It was the very first thing I thought when I saw the movie. And even more when I found out SM3 was the last moiviue from the franchise.

No, I don't see one bit of a difference between dancing Peter and the Bat-credit card. Oh, except that the Bat-credit card joke was much shorter.

What puts SM3 above B&R? Better CGI?

Oh Lord.....this won't end well.

This never started well.

One of the many reasons,at least for me,that Spidey 3 is nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin has to do with the characters themselves. I have always viewed Spider-man and his universe as alot of fun,and at times it does have an excuse to be cheesy and goofy. Although,it also can be very dangerous and serious as well. So,what Raimi did(in all 3 films)is excusable and can be expected,I think. I will say that in some scenes he did go a bit far with the comedy,though. But overall,people shouldn't have been too surpised with seeing Spider-man 3 have it's goofy and cheesy moments. Spider-man and the films have always been like a fun rollercoaster ride.
But,Batman is the exact opposite of Spidey. Batman and his world are darker and more serious(although,there is room for comedy)and have much more of a pyschological edge to them than a series like Spider-man would. So,to see Batman pull out a Bat-card and act like a clown goes against everything the character really stood for. Spider-man 3 had alot of serious moments to it,but I think it could have afforded to be goofy,since the character has a bit of comedy in him. But,seeing a dark universe and the characters in it reduced to something like a Batman and Robin and how utterly goofy,colorful and silly it was,well,I don't see how anyone could compare the two movies at all.
Again,just my opinion. And I don't think it's fact at all. It all depends on your point of view. I still like Spider-man 3,flaws and all.

NOT EVEN F***IN' SLIGHTLY does Spidey 3 = B&R.

Jesus, its like people have short term memory loss when it comes to films.

The only similarities the two films share is that they were the last of their current franchises before reboots. That's it.

Batman and Robin was a colossus disappointment that played toward children, pun jokes, bad writing, and just a lack of not caring for the overal product as much as the toy sales.

Spidey 3 was victim of a director being told what to do by its studio and delivering an ALRIGHT film when much more was expected.

Spider-Man 3 = X-Men 3.

Batman & Robin = Superman 4.

:o

Spider-Man 3 is bad but nowhere near as bad as Batman and Robin. At least Spider-man 3 has some impressive visuals and action scenes.

Marvel's Batman and Robin would be around Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance or Elektra.

Even those aren't as bad.

Spider-Man 3 is flawed but good.

You know Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough when no one thinks of the Spider-Man series whenever someone asks what is a great trilogy.

But...Batman & Robin bad? With B&R, I shook my head in disgust and laughed at how close to a parody it is of a CBM. With Spider-Man 3, I only shook my head of the potential the film had but never "got there".

You know Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough when no one thinks of the Spider-Man series whenever someone asks what is a great trilogy.

But...Batman & Robin bad? With B&R, I shook my head in disgust and laughed at how close to a parody it is of a CBM. With Spider-Man 3, I only shook my head of the potential the film had but never "got there".

That happens to me with SM3. Not the whole but most of it. Nonsensical dancing, strutting, singing, the butler, and Jameson as an exhausted caricature trying to be funny beyond the writers' possibilities. Not much better than the bat-credit card or the "chill" puns.

Of course B&R is worse. But when you are so down on the scale you don't really care for the difference.

The first half of Spider-man 3 is decent , it just falls apart somewhere in the middle. Batman and Robin is a complete failure. I don't compare the two.

Err not at all! Spider-Man didn't flop and it got a fresh rating in RottenTomatoes.

Just because it wasn't loved by everybody, it had a lot of flaws and it was the last movie after the reboot, it doesn't mean its already in the levels of Batman & Robin.

More like the Batman Forever. Now had Raimi stayed on for Spider-man 4, that surely would been the Batman & Robin of the franchise with the stuff that was planned.

Hyperbole%2B04.png

Spidey 3 is a failure because it attempted to take itself 50% seriously with the tragic villains, retconning Uncle Ben's death, and the death of Pete's best friend. Yet the other half was really terrible cheese... Raimi and whoever else put it together had no idea if they wanted to make a cheesy comedy or a serious superhero movie. So Spider-Man 3 is a terrible mash of both.

There is absolutely no misidentifying Batman and Robin. It was meant to be a 'toyetic' crock of over the top camp and that's exactly what it is from beginning to end with the only exception being the small subplot with Alfred. It was garbage but Batman and Robin knew exactly what it wanted to be. Spider-Man 3 suffers identity crisis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"