Star Trek Beyond - Part 4

I'm sure the man's a fine storyteller and director, but I don't think I want a gritty R-rated Star Trek movie.

I feel like they just need to wait a few years and reboot it with an entirely new cast and premise. I'm sorry, but this trilogy has been a disaster, all they did was turn a smart sci-fi franchise into a generic dumb action series. The original cast (Kirk, Spock, etc.) is way to iconic to recast, they need to just continue in the original timeline with a new ship and crew. They can still have action, but they need to focus less on making it a huge-scale blockbuster and more on making it thought-provoking and smart; with interesting situations and dynamics between characters. I honestly wouldn't mind a lower budget drama-style film. I disagree with the common notion that Star Trek can't be slow and smart in 2017. Arrival just came out last year, and that wasn't a fast-paced blockbuster.

I'm sure the man's a fine storyteller and director, but I don't think I want a gritty R-rated Star Trek movie.

I feel like they just need to wait a few years and reboot it with an entirely new cast and premise. I'm sorry, but this trilogy has been a disaster, all they did was turn a smart sci-fi franchise into a generic dumb action series. The original cast (Kirk, Spock, etc.) is way to iconic to recast, they need to just continue in the original timeline with a new ship and crew. They can still have action, but they need to focus less on making it a huge-scale blockbuster and more on making it thought-provoking and smart; with interesting situations and dynamics between characters. I honestly wouldn't mind a lower budget drama-style film. I disagree with the common notion that Star Trek can't be slow and smart in 2017. Arrival just came out last year, and that wasn't a fast-paced blockbuster.

I don't think we'd get a gritty R-rated Trek film, that's what makes this news so interesting to me as both a Trek and Tarantino fan. I think Tarantino is more versatile than a lot of people give him credit for, and a lot of people lately seem to forget how important dialogue is in every single Tarantino film, action doesn't drive Tarantino films, dialogue and story drive them. I think he could end up doing something pretty incredible for Trek since he seems to have a passion for it and it might be a good opportunity for him to try something new and step a bit outside his comfort zone. Could it go terribly wrong? sure, I'd be lying if I said some part of me didn't also find this news concerning, but we've had bad Trek films before, and survived, I say if Tarantino decides he wants to write a Trek movie, let him, if he decides he wants to direct, then let him, I think this could end up paying off for them incredibly well.

Last edited:
Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, but I think he would be a terrible choice for ST.

Really glad another ST movie is happening. Can't believe Tarantino is involved! Is it the same cast?

The article said that Tarantino has an idea for a TREK movie....that he is setting up a meeting with Abrahms to talk about it.....that he would like to set up some writers to work on it. Nothing is set at this point.

The article said that Tarantino has an idea for a TREK movie....that he is setting up a meeting with Abrahms to talk about it.....that he would like to set up some writers to work on it. Nothing is set at this point.

Oh right, thanks. Glad that there are at least rumblings on this front. I was worried we might not be getting any more (and of course we still might not but this is at least a sign of a positive development).

Yes it's only a potential film, still it generated it's own thread discussion. Why was the "Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek" specific thread, merged here?

Last edited:
Yes it's only a potential film still it generated it's own thread descusion. Why was the "Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek" specific thread, merged here?

Probably to condense discussion to one thread, and probably because there's no confirmation that he's writing, or directing the next Trek, just news that there have been talks.

At this point, they need to do something to breathe new life into Trek. The first film with the new cast was great, but the other two sucked. Into Darkness just felt like a remake of Wrath of Khan mixed with a remake of Abrams' first Trek movie, and Beyond just felt too small in scale and nothing in it was particularly interesting.

I enjoyed all three films. :(

This is basically in the vein of people kind of griping about Nolan getting Batman. Why would he fit the mold of a comic book franchise they asked? Granted he had a few misses with some characterizations, but he did well enough.

Is JJ Abrams definately out for this? Is he done?

This is basically in the vein of people kind of griping about Nolan getting Batman. Why would he fit the mold of a comic book franchise they asked? Granted he had a few misses with some characterizations, but he did well enough.
This is nothing like that. Nolan had creative freedom on Batman. He created that particular universe. This will be with an established franchise, universe, actors, etc.

We'll see if they plan on doing any rebooting or whatever.

I just hope this isn't going to be a classic episode turned into a movie. Collider mentioned how Tarantino talked about how City on the Edge of Forever and TNG episode could make for a movie. Hopefully this was just stayed as spitballing and not the actual concept Abrams went for, because this is something Abrams would go for. Things people know. I'm gonna really hate this if this is just another rehash. I think COTEOF is one of the best pieces of writing on television, but for ****'s sake, keep it as an episode and do something new. Otherwise, this franchise will have become totally the missed opportunity than it somewhat already is.

Talk about completely out of left field. I'm all for it. I liked the three Kelvin movies but Tarantino could really step up the franchise if he is involved.

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, but I think he would be a terrible choice for ST.

IMO, not any worse than Justin Lin. They need a director who makes more cerebral movies, not fast and the furious or ...whatever you call it Tarantino does.

I on the other hand have enjoyed almost all of the Star Trek franchise with an occasional exception for a movie here or there and some episodes.

I tried watching the old films and I just couldn't get into them. The claustrophobic nature of the setting just isn't for me.

I hope they can come up with a solid new story with this cast. Just dump the Kirk meets his father scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"