Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Harrison is definitely a cover name, but we all already knew that.

That same good guy talking to bad guy who is locked up was just used in The Dark Bond as well...I'm getting tired of that scene. I don't care who came up with it, it's officially overused.

When Khan Noonien Singh attempted to take over the ship in 2267, Harrison wore a red operations division uniform while among the crew trapped on the bridge. Kirk's captain's log noted commendations for numerous personnel, including Technician Harrison, who lost consciousness from oxygen deprivation. (TOS: "Space Seed")

Although Harrison was on the bridge, he was the only of the visually accounted for that didn't end up in the briefing room after being incapacitated.
so he has a connection to khan at least

I'll start it tonight! I just had to look up how many seasons it was, because just three is shocking. The way it's lauded so much by anyone I've ever heard of watching it, you'd think it lasted 10 seasons. Do the next shows last a while or something?

Well...original series was 3 seasons, 6 theatrical movies, and hundreds of novels. But yes, the later series lasted longer.

The Next Generation - 7 seasons
Deep Space Nine - 7 seasons
Voyager -7 seasons
Enterprise - 4 seasons.

I have a feeling that JJ probably randomly picked 'John Harrison' randomly to throw us off. John Lennon, George Harison.

That same good guy talking to bad guy who is locked up was just used in The Dark Bond as well...I'm getting tired of that scene. I don't care who came up with it, it's officially overused.

I don't think it began with The Silence of the Lambs but it was popularized by that film. And since Hannibal uses the situation to his advantage and ends up escaping, I guess you could say that films like The Dark Knight, The Avengers and Skyfall copied the format somewhat (even though Hannibal didn't intend to be captured). To be honest, the scene in Skyfall and what we see in this new scene make me think more of Silence than TDK.

Also, I'm 99% certain the Calendar Man scenes in The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were inspired by Hannibal as well.

Because the concept of our good guys talking to a bad guy that's been locked up was clearly invented by TDK and The Avengers. :o
lets add Skyfall because i am bored :o

:woot:

I have a feeling that JJ probably randomly picked 'John Harrison' randomly to throw us off. John Lennon, George Harison.
I think he chose this character so he could have more room to play with story stuff thats not hindered by more recocnizable charaters.

[BLACKOUT]Or it could just be a red herring.[/BLACKOUT]

I don't think it began with The Silence of the Lambs but it was popularized by that film. And since Hannibal uses the situation to his advantage and ends up escaping, I guess you could say that films like The Dark Knight, The Avengers and Skyfall copied the format somewhat (even though Hannibal didn't intend to be captured). To be honest, the scene in Skyfall and what we see in this new scene make me think more of Silence than TDK.

Also, I'm 99% certain the Calendar Man scenes in The Long Halloween and Dark Victory were inspired by Hannibal as well.
You have a great point about where it probably actually came from, I didn't even think about that.

That's what I meant,Skin color&Montalban is hard to ignore!!,So is there an answer though or not??

Khan is from the 20th/21st Century (date has been retconned once or twice I believe). His parentage or birth would not be effected by Nero and Spock's time travel back to 2233. That even only changed the flow of Trek universe history from 2233 onwards.

I'll start it tonight! I just had to look up how many seasons it was, because just three is shocking. The way it's lauded so much by anyone I've ever heard of watching it, you'd think it lasted 10 seasons. Do the next shows last a while or something?
Yeah, the other shows lasted longer. For what it's worth, I didn't get into Trek at all until '09 after loving the reboot, so I went back and watched TOS for the first time on Netflix, and it's still my favorite series/crew in the franchise. To be fair, I'm still far from a Trek expert (have only seen SOME of the other series' and have yet to see any of Voyager), but some of those episodes in TOS really blew me away on a level that no classic TV show other than the Twilight Zone has done. I think you'll be surprised at how sophisticated some of the writing was.

Last edited:
In Heat, the bad guy wasn't captured but they had that coffee scene in which they talked calmly face to face, good guy to bad guy. I think that is partly an inspiration for the craze for these new scenes.

There are so many red herrings here! I think Khan and his people might be in the movie but its not Benedict. Which leads to the confusion of news from sources that reported Khan being in the film and us (and bloggers) assuming its Benedict.

I think there may be a clue in the name John Harrison. Harrison invented the marine chronometer, which is used to determine longitude on a ship by celestial navigation. What the clue is, I'm not sure... but it is interesting that Abrams picked a man who is most known for developing navigation techniques that rely on celestial bodies--particularly stars.

You have a great point about where it probably actually came from, I didn't even think about that.

Thanks. That film (and book) was influential in a number of ways. I remember observing how many films post-Silence featured the hero of the story enlisting in a villain for help in solving a case. It didn't originate there of course, but it certainly popularized the convention. The most recent example is probably that new series The Following.

Hmmm, I don't think the photo is them in the brig. On closer inspection, I want to say it's an airlock. The window behind Cumberbatch appears to show a long corridor, perhaps the inside of a docking umbilical. Also, my TOS knowledge is really rusty, any TOS villains connected to cults? The way Benedict approaches the parents in the beginning makes me think of a some sort of cult messiah/healer type.

I think there may be a clue in the name John Harrison. Harrison invented the marine chronometer, which is used to determine longitude on a ship by celestial navigation. What the clue is, I'm not sure... but it is interesting that Abrams picked a man who is most known for developing navigation techniques that rely on celestial bodies--particularly stars.
Well, Mitchell was helmsman for the Enterprise in TOS, and navigation's kinda key for them, so that could be a Mitchell clue.

I can't tell you how annoying it is that Cumberbatch's name is a "secret." It can only be one of two characters or a completely new character, which is doubtful to say the least. They treat us like idiots. "Let's keep his name a secret! Don't tell anyone!"

Well, Mitchell was helmsman for the Enterprise in TOS, and navigation's kinda key for them, so that could be a Mitchell clue.

Hmm, yeah good point.

I'm pretty sure this is in a different context too. Isn't this the prologue? Plus this would match the hands in the window shot in the trailer.

My prediction is that Cumberbatch is a former Enterprise crew member (whether he's Mitchell or not) and he was left behind because they thought the situation he was in would pose a threat to the entire crew (I'm thinking something to do with the volcano). So Kirk made the tough choice of sacrificing a crew member for his entire family. When they think he is dead, he survives, coming back with these powers exacting vengeance.

It touches upon the "The needs of the many" theme nicely, and it may not even be Khan. Which would be cool.

I hope they explore the idea that now Kirk is in the captain's chair, he will have to make difficult decisions. They touched upon that and he earned being captain in the first one by doing the unconventional.

Now that is is in the position of the captain, there are choices to be made that he may have never thought he would be able to do. And they could come back to haunt him. It fits into his "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" line in the trailer. I'm betting Cumberbatch will put him into a position where he will have to make the same choice he made with Cumberbatch on a much larger scale.

I can't tell you how annoying it is that Cumberbatch's name is a "secret." It can only be one of two characters or a completely new character, which is doubtful to say the least. They treat us like idiots. "Let's keep his name a secret! Don't tell anyone!"

Just imagine how frustrating it will be if they manage to keep it a secret until the end of the movie. I don't know if that's possible, but you never know.

We've had plenty of movies where the central hero character is never given a name. What if they actually pulled this off with a villain?

Theyre not treating anyone like idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back