Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes i think that star trek fans have unrealistic expectations for their films

What was unrealistic about what I said? And what would be a realistic expectation?

A conversation with the crew:

[YT]solEp9KKnRM[/YT]

Just a short clip but if anyone finds the whole thing please post it.

What was unrealistic about what I said? And what would be a realistic expectation?

Well I wasn't talking to you or about you.

I just stating that it looks like the main gripe by critics on this one is that it doesn't break any new ground. Which is weird to me because all of the critics seem to understand the care given to the characters plot and direction of the film, given by Abrams. An adaptation for any other property that would be just fine, but trekkies need the wheel reinvented again. It seems to me that if you keep reinventing something it will eventually cease to be what it was originally.

There is new Audi commercial pitting Nimoy vs Quinto....it's funny as hell...it's on YouTube...I'd post it here but it has no no bad words

There is new Audi commercial pitting Nimoy vs Quinto....it's funny as hell...it's on YouTube...I'd post it here but it has no no bad words

I posted it in the Spock thread. The curse words are bleeped out.

Sometimes i think that star trek fans have unrealistic expectations for their films

Trek fans reaction to these new movies reminds me of the reactions most had to The Next Generation....trek fans hated it until about the third season.

Trek fans reaction to these new movies reminds me of the reactions most had to The Next Generation....trek fans hated it until about the third season.

That's because the first couple of seasons aren't very good.

That's because the first couple of seasons aren't very good.

well that is true but I know a lot of people who felt that anything without Shatner and company couldn't be called Star Trek

Well I wasn't talking to you or about you.

I just stating that it looks like the main gripe by critics on this one is that it doesn't break any new ground. Which is weird to me because all of the critics seem to understand the care given to the characters plot and direction of the film, given by Abrams. An adaptation for any other property that would be just fine, but trekkies need the wheel reinvented again. It seems to me that if you keep reinventing something it will eventually cease to be what it was originally.

Or maybe they just want something other than Revenge Plot #7.

the thing is that, besides JJ's reboot, Star Trek is partially a product of its time, and no matter how we reboot it now -be it a summer tentpole or a TV show - you'll have to make compromises.

And when this film series is over, I don't know where Star Trek as a franchise can go...

I mean, the original Star Trek, and it's successors, came at the right time, be it the 60s, 80's or 90's, where it you can have cerebral, slow burning sci-fi and get viewers. But that was a different market now when today, we got 1000s of channels and the TV landscape is always changing.

In order for Star Trek to get back on TV, it has to be in the vein of the 2000's 'Battlestar'. Cerebral but you gotta have some action and/or rattle the establishment a bit.

Last edited:
Exploration would be boring in a big budget summer movie. The Motion Picture was an exploration film and it was considered such a flop that Roddenberry was forced out of creative control on Wrath of Khan.
With WOK they evoked the swashbuckling atmosphere of the series...it had no exploration and had a clear villain to fight. WOK is considered a box office success and broke the record for first day box office gross.
Incidently Nicholas Meyer, who directed WOK which is considered the best of the series, wasnt a fan of the show and never saw an episode when he was brought on.

Lets not act as if the specific choices of that film, which were reaching for a 2001 aesthetic and featured endless shots of the film pulling out space dock is the only way the material can be explored.

Just because Wrath of Kahn did something doesn't mean that every single film needs to be wrath of Kahn, an endless line of Kahn lites and finally just Kahn again.

Lets not act as if the specific choices of that film, which were reaching for a 2001 aesthetic and featured endless shots of the film pulling out space dock is the only way the material can be explored.

Just because Wrath of Kahn did something doesn't mean that every single film needs to be wrath of Kahn, an endless line of Kahn lites and finally just Kahn again.

NOTE: I'm sure the movie is great and fun and made it work, but i'm just judging on the creative direction of 'Darkness'.

It's a strange narrative choice especially with three writers and 3-4 years later. Why this story?

It wasn't like there was a rush to get this one made, or a studio mandate. It seemed like they had creative freedom. The problem too though is that JJ isn't attached to the franchise in a sentimental way, so he probably can't comprehend the legacy of Khan. Meanwhile, his writers (Orci, Kurtzman) can be a mixed bag, so JJ trusting them is iffy.

That's why I'm happy with Star Wars, JJ is with a more talented, daring writer. And with JJ gone, I don't know where the Star Trek franchise can go and it might be the case where Orci/Kurtzman will gain even more control of the property. Which may be a good..or bad thing.

Well he said just recently that he isn't leaving the franchise, he may stay on and produce the third movie.

Maybe Lindelof will get a shot at directing for the third installment?

;)

Well he said just recently that he isn't leaving the franchise, he may stay on and produce the third movie.

That I know. What I meant like in the long haul, unless Bad Robot and JJ plan to do it Mission Impossible style, and keep on trucking till a part 5 or whatever.

It could be McQuarrie, if he is successful with MI:5?

Star Trek, just like Batman and James Bond has to grow and adapt to endure. It was more than just the trekkies that lined up to see the first one and that is where the money is at....getting people who'd never see a Star Trek movie or watch a show to buy a ticket. This version has managed to do that. That crowd isn't going to sit through a movie about exploration.

it's supposed to be funny...they know they are being nitpicky

Guardian Film Show interviews Simon Pegg, JJ Abrams and Damon Lindelof:

[YT]bGeNHAsWuLU[/YT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"