State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Garfield was better than Maguire.

I hate the argument of, "Well, Michael Keaton/Heath Ledger/etc...". Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger are Michael Keaton and Heath Ledger, not the latest off the wall cast actor. You can use them as an example but not as an assurance.

It's obviously trendy to dump on TASM and pretend it's emo or it's lifeless, both claims I find are without merit.

The 2002 Spidey film is pretty much unwatchable today. In fact none of the Raimi films are particularly good, with the exception of the second one being decent (but not awesome like people make it out to be). The first one was good for its time, but is extremely dated and corny now. The third one was always terrible. A fourth Raimi movie, from the look of the proposed script, would have been much worse than TASM. The series really did need a reboot.

I enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man when I saw in theaters. Haven't watched it since, nor have I felt the need to watch it again. Am I looking forward to the sequel, yes, because I have been a fan of Spider-Man for as long as I can remember, but I'm not excited about it. I like the new costume and I like the choices of Electro and Rhino. All I want is for this one to be at least as good as Webb's first.

It's obviously trendy to dump on TASM and pretend it's emo or it's lifeless, both claims I find are without merit.

The 2002 Spidey film is pretty much unwatchable today. In fact none of the Raimi films are particularly good, with the exception of the second one being decent (but not awesome like people make it out to be). The first one was good for its time, but is extremely dated and corny now. The third one was always terrible. A fourth Raimi movie, from the look of the proposed script, would have been much worse than TASM. The series really did need a reboot.

I hear that rhetoric everytime a reboot happens. Suddenly the previous loved movie was garbage.

I hear that rhetoric everytime a reboot happens. Suddenly the previous loved movie was garbage.

Really? Because I don't see anyone saying that about Batfleck. :o Sometimes reboots work, sometimes they don't. I've yet to hear a compelling argument for why TASM didn't.

That's funny, I find ASM unwatchable now. It didn't take long at all. :o

[YT]FuiX9mlDY9E[/YT]

Can we move this discussion to the Spidey boards? I'll get this thread back on course. Here's an unpopular opinion: I can't stand Jesse Eisenberg.

I agree, except that I couldn't believe how corny and cheesey SM1 was even back in 2002.

Spider-Man did not need a reboot. You could've easily just had a different SM adventure with a recast Spidey and other cast members. There was nothing that made that some how not viable to do. It worked for James Bond for three decades before it needed a reboot, and even then it's very arguable it wasn't actually needed.

Really? Because I don't see anyone saying that about Batfleck. :o.

Give it time.

Is this actually unpopular? I thought Maguire was an absolutely terrible Peter Parker. Garfield fit the role a lot better.

Apparently not and neither is TASM being better than SM1.

Spider-Man did not need a reboot. You could've easily just had a different SM adventure with a recast Spidey and other cast members. There was nothing that made that some how not viable to do. It worked for James Bond for three decades before it needed a reboot, and even then it's very arguable it wasn't actually needed.

Give it time.

eh. There was alot Rami missed like the Gwen Stacy Saga and Sinister Six. Plus there are aspects of the character that were missing too like Web-Shooters and a witty Spidey. Plus Spidey 3 is considered as one of the worst CBMs ever and even was voted the 50th worst film ever by Empire readers.

eh. There was alot Rami missed like the Gwen Stacy Saga and Sinister Six. Plus there are aspects of the character that were missing too like Web-Shooters and a witty Spidey. Plus Spidey 3 is considered as one of the worst CBMs ever and even was voted the 50th worst film ever by Empire readers.

Also a Peter that wasn't a complete and pathetic loser and an Uncle Ben that's not a cliche of the good guy that can't get angry and be a proper fatherly figure.

So in other words, reboot it? I think even if they didn't go back to the origins and did what you said, I'd still call that a reboot. Once you get rid of the director and cast who have been with the franchise for three or more films, it's a reboot. I know First Class is in the continuity of the past films, but that film felt like a reboot too.

Also a Peter that could actually act. Tobey crying, anyone? Actually I don't blame Tobey. I think Raimi gives wooden directions on par with Lucas. Every actor sounded stilted and forced in those movies.

The suit wins. Raimi got that right.

Spider-sense? Like when Spider-man was in that building on fire and Goblin was right there pretending to be a woman and the spider-sense did NOTHING?
No I was talking about spider-sense and how it was viewed onscreen, I think it was used maybe once in ASM visually when he was on the subway car. The spider-sense in ASM can't compare to 02's introduction to his new sense, dodging all of Goblin's blades in the burning building, or dodging the glider in the end.

And if you wanna be an ass about it (Goblin pretending to be a woman), then what about ASM's spider-sense doing nothing when there's a giant lizard tail directly behind him about to strangle him? Or the fact that he got shot in the leg in the first place when he dodged bullets earlier in the film?
The whole movie is not an aspect, you just ran out of things to say.

I wasn't specific here and I'm not sure if you even knew what I was referring to but I'll clear it up because "I didn't run out of things to say * x25"

But I was referring to the fact that we're set up with a plot that Peter is trying to find the truth about his parents, as well as Uncle Ben's killer later on. Both of those plots were enforced in trailers ("If you want the truth about your parents Peter, come and get it." "You think what happened to you was an accident?") but it's like they changed their minds at the last minute and dropped those conflicts entirely in the final film.

I don't think '02 Spider-Man is perfect by the way in any means, I just don't see how the new one is better. A few things here and there but I had very little joy or fun watching the new one compared to how much I enjoyed the original.

Last edited:
I watch them all, enjoy them all
Don't care what's what

Batman Returns is an exception, it's visually cool, but the story is unimpressive

Not yet, but people are already turning on Nolan, especially TDKR.
Heh, well I'm not on that list. Because I had problems with TDKR the minute I left the theater :hehe:, I'm very much looking forward to the next vision of Batman but I couldn't trash those movies.

No I was talking about spider-sense and how it was viewed onscreen, I think it was used maybe once in ASM visually when he was on the subway car. The spider-sense in ASM can't compare to 02's introduction to his new sense, dodging all of Goblin's blades in the burning building, or dodging the glider in the end.

And if you wanna be an ass about it (Goblin pretending to be a woman), then what about ASM's spider-sense doing nothing when there's a giant lizard tail directly behind him about to strangle him? Or the fact that he got shot in the leg in the first place when he dodged bullets earlier in the film?
I wasn't specific here and I'm not sure if you even knew what I was referring to but I'll clear it up because "I didn't run out of things to say * x25"

But I was referring to the fact that we're set up with a plot that Peter is trying to find the truth about his parents, as well as Uncle Ben's killer later on. Both of those plots were enforced in trailers but it's like they changed their minds at the last minute and dropped that conflict entirely in the final film.

I don't think '02 Spider-Man is perfect by the way in any means, I just don't see how the new one is better. A few things here and there but I had very little joy or fun watching the new one compared to how much I enjoyed the original.

Your wrong about the parents thing. The trailers said The Untold Story Begins. You pretty much know enough like what his dad did. He gave up looking for his Uncle because he is a hero, not a vigilante. The Spider-Sense was there on plenty of occasions, at least three lol. Could the reason that SM1 had more joy was because it was Spidey in live action for the first time? I felt both had equal joy but Amazing highlighted the tragic aspect better. I like both films but I thought TASM was better IMO.

Your wrong about the parents thing. The trailers said The Untold Story Begins. You pretty much know enough like what his dad did. He gave up looking for his Uncle because he is a hero, not a vigilante. The Spider-Sense was there on plenty of occasions, at least three lol. Could the reason that SM1 had more joy was because it was Spidey in live action for the first time? I felt both had equal joy but Amazing highlighted the tragic aspect better. I like both films but I thought TASM was better IMO.
I have a feeling the first time in live-action played a big role, I'm not gonna pretend like it didn't. I had dreams of swinging around like Spider-Man around the release of the movie and I still do to this day. (a few nights ago in fact :spidey:)

I was just thinking about the 'Untold Story' tagline a few minutes ago and thought that it was very likely that the parents story would be a central plot point for these new movies so it's just the tip of the iceberg we reached in ASM. I think I still get bugged when I think of Dr. Connors telling Peter to come get the truth about his parents because I want to know what revelations they were planning to reveal. And then now you read that they're dropping Mary-Jane, a major character from the 2nd movie even though they already filmed scenes with her. It just makes me wonder at times if they know what the heck they're doing.

I actually like that movie [BLACKOUT]I actually paid $ for the blu-ray... :ninja:[/BLACKOUT] Those powers would be so cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"