State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the romantic aspect was well done. I didn't feel it was forced or anything like that. It wasn't mind blowing, but it wasn't bad to me.

Okay. Just tell me, what was actually good about it? And by "actually good" I mean "actually good."

I wouldn't dispensible, but I just would've given her more to do so at least her comedic scenes would be more forgiveable.

She feels dispensable because of the way she was presented in the movie. She did... nothing.

Now if she had more to do, I'd have loved her ridden of any comedic scene.

He's arrogant, he's not an a*****e. It was that regalness in his personality and that royal charm that attracted her to him. While he was at times big and brutish, around her most of the time he was like a prince, and women love princes. :woot:

I understand why such a girl like Portman's character could fall for him: he looks like he goes to the gym, period.

Thing is why the God of Thunder himself would listen to this little silly girl immediately.

:up:

I only compared it to TF2 because I felt someone would've mentioned Transformers when it comes to a fun movie being good a and fun movie being terrible. When I think a mindless movie being a bad one, I think Transformers 2.

But if you're defending "Thor" then why not comparing it to a good movie?

I felt that Thor was a pretty good movie but I'm hesitant to call it great. It's great start for a character who's has never been really in the limelight alone in other Marvel Media.

Agreed.

I read an article once about movie romances. About how unrealistic it is for a guy and a girl to meet, end up going on one adventure, and then they fall in love. Well, it actually isn't unrealistic. Research shows that the best way for males and females to bond is in situations where there is danger and fear. Once the danger is over, they feel an intense attraction to each other. This is why horror films are the most popular films to see when in a new relationship.

I just found it interesting.

JAK®;20284847 said:
I read an article once about movie romances. About how unrealistic it is for a guy and a girl to meet, end up going on one adventure, and then they fall in love. Well, it actually isn't unrealistic. Research shows that the best way for males and females to bond is in situations where there is danger and fear. Once the danger is over, they feel an intense attraction to each other. This is why horror films are the most popular films to see when in a new relationship.

I just found it interesting.

Nice twisting of the notion there, to me interesting also encompassed nice and friendly, even to the vigilante type who are usually taken the piss out of or shunned by others.
but i guess when you are talking in code somewhat, you don't have the room to express everything, and so it is easy for others to twist things to make them sound cold and emotionless, well, I may be many things, but emotionless and cold are not traits I carry in my character. In fact, I am probably at fault for being too emotional sometimes, feeling sorry for enemies and people who have messed with my mind to try and control me.
Give it up fruitcakes.

Nice twisting of the notion there, to me interesting also encompassed nice and friendly, even to the vigilante type who are usually taken the piss out of or shunned by others.
but i guess when you are talking in code somewhat, you don't have the room to express everything, and so it is easy for others to twist things to make them sound cold and emotionless, well, I may be many things, but emotionless and cold are not traits I carry in my character. In fact, I am probably at fault for being too emotional sometimes, feeling sorry for enemies and people who have messed with my mind to try and control me.
Give it up fruitcakes.
What the hell are you on about?

JAK®;20285381 said:
What the hell are you on about?

Lol. I actually said this out loud just as I scrolled down to your post.
But yeah, I read that article too. I don't think it gives a movie leeway to produce the bare minimum of a romance though, especially in Branagh's and JMS's cases. They're way better than this.

Yeah, well, 'this' is not as easy to define as you may think.

Okay. Just tell me, what was actually good about it? And by "actually good" I mean "actually good."

I really liked the campfire scene, and moments like that. I like that to me, it felt like an infatuation and not all out love. He defended all of them because he likes them and Thor has never been the guy to let others die for him. Even when he fighting the Frost Giants, Thor tells the others to go while he continues to fight.

She feels dispensable because of the way she was presented in the movie. She did... nothing.

Now if she had more to do, I'd have loved her ridden of any comedic scene.

Agreed, though I think some of her comedic scene could've been kept in if that was the case.

I understand why such a girl like Portman's character could fall for him: he looks like he goes to the gym, period.

Thing is why the God of Thunder himself would listen to this little silly girl immediately.

You're acting as if he spent the movie listening to her every order. She didn't really give him any demand other than "stop throwing tea cups". Like I said, she liked him because he acted like royalty without much of the *****ebaggyness (and his physique didn't hurt either :yay:). He liked her because she was his opposite, and those down to earth quality she had was a good spoil to his cocky personality.

:up:

But if you're defending "Thor" then why not comparing it to a good movie?

Because I felt that people would use the opposite of the spectrum of "fun" movies to disagree with me with. My point is that if a movie can be done well, and hit its beats right, then I'd be satisfied.

I'm not disagreeing with how you felt about Thor because your feelings are justified.

Agreed.

Like I said, I'm satisfied with the movie and liked it. I mean, it definitely surpassed my early expectations. I hope Thor becomes a popular character like Iron Man did a few years ago.

Why would Thor like Jane? I think it was partly because she was just genuinely fascinated in him, as a person. A real honest interest in him even if that interest is partly because he's evidence for her theories about wormholes, not just because he's a jock, if you will. It's like say, the High School QB of the football team. Girls are more interested in him because he's the QB of the football team... rather than him as an actual person. If you get my meaning.

And also because she didn't take **** from him. When he smashed the coffee cup in the cafe she was like "No! You don't do that!". He respected her for not ********ting him, not being sycophantic. I bet as the Prince of Asgard he has enough sycophants and shallow girls who like the idea of Thor, the mighty warrior, the Prince, rather than Thor himself. Maybe that's refreshing for the guy.

Plus, she's hot. That helps. And she has brains.

Last edited:
Why would Thor like Jane? I think it was partly because she was just genuinely fascinated in him, as a person. A real honest interest in him even if that interest is partly because he's evidence for her theories about wormholes, not just because he's a jock, if you will. It's like say, the High School QB of the football team. Girls are more interested in him because he's the QB of the football team... rather than him as an actual person. If you get my meaning.

And also because she didn't take **** from him. When he smashed the coffee cup in the cafe she was like "No! You don't do that!". He respected her for not ********ting him, not being sycophantic. I bet as the Prince of Asgard he has enough sycophants and shallow girls who like the idea of Thor, the mighty warrior, the Prince, rather than Thor himself. Maybe that's refreshing for the guy.

Yeah, y'know, the thing is, you have to feel that thing, that chemistry, that l-u-v, and when you look back at the person after feeling that, after realising it is a feeling that goes beyond friendship, and weigh up their attributes, you can say, 'Yeah, I can see why I love her/him.'
Because in earlier relationships, that have less intense romantic feelings, when you are lonely, you can attribute qualities to a person that they don't have, because you are so desperate for someone to love, and want them to be that person, but they are not.
So, it is a truly beautiful thing when you eventually meet someone and they really *are* the type of person you have been looking for your entire life, they are so 'too good to be true,' you didn't even know that perfect type for you existed, you just wouldn't believe it if someone told you there was someone like that out there, and then you meet them, and it's like 'bam!', almost too much to contain.
and as for brains and physical attributes, yeah, it is a good thing if you can interact with someone who is v good looking, before you know what they look like, and see if you feel that thing beforehand for their personality only, and I guess they like that too, as there will be so many guys out there who they can't trust, as it maybe only a thing going on downstairs, than of the heart.
But, of course, you need the thing downstairs as well, so you have to have a primal physical attraction to them as well, for it to be a long term thing that could lead to marriage or whatever, rather than just a fling with someone.

and as for being into someone cause you know they are fascinated by you, well, in my experience, I realised I was into the person cause I really, really enjoyed talking to them, and was desperate to get their attention and respect for another go around on the conversation. and then you start to feel more, and find out more about them, and then you realise they like you too, and then you find out they are hot, and you keep finding out more and more about them and bam bam bam, you are just getting more and more bammed until you are totally bammy for the woman.

edit:
and all that other stuff you said, of course, you want and need the person to be interested in the real you, not the fact you have millions in the bank or whatever, and the fact that they would not care if you had millions in the bank, that is just a bonus, all they are truly interested in is the real you, you want everything to be real.

Last edited:
Not really. I just thought the Joker character was written poorly. His philosophy was interesting, yea. But people pretend he was more than just a comic book villain. He wasn't, his philosophy was an agenda, like all comic book villains have agendas. Difference is, his plots and what not came at the benefit of plot contrivances. But then people say he had a supernatural element to him or he had pretty much the entire city in his pocket? No... plot contrivances. Plot induced stupidity, call it what you will.

Again, I think he was a great villain. But that was mainly due to an amazing performance by Ledger that made the Joker an interesting character to look at and listen to, allowing me look past the plot contrivances and overwraught dialogue. The worst case was him going on about how using a knife is more personal etc. If Ledger didn't make that scene interesting I think I would have burst out laughing.

But hey, that's just me.
Seriously? :huh:
Just that scene between the Joker and Batman in the interrogation room was better written than anything in Thor (and I liked Thor).
It so perfectly defined the relationship between a hero and his nemesis and more specifically the strange bond between the Joker and Batman.
Every single scene involving the Joker, the mob meeting, the hospital scene with Dent, poor Brian Douglass' torture, his last upside down monologue etc... was perfection in the writing as well as of course the acting department. And speaking of acting, I loved Hiddleston (one of the best things in Thor and I really liked the Shakespearean undertones, turns out Brannagh was a good choice after all), he was great, but Ledger was legendary.
But like I said to each their own and let's see in 10 years maybe, because to really judge a film, time needs to pass a little more.

Didn't think she was that hot in Thor. (At least,not as hot as in Black Swann. Granted Mila Kunis wasn't around to kick it up a notch:cwink:)

And boobs.
Not sure boobs are Portman's forte either.

It seems gwynplaine is here to disagree with every opinion in the unpopular opinion thread.

Just respectfully participating. But if it's unpopular with you, at least I'm in the right thread.

Didn't think she was that hot in Thor. (At least,not as hot as in Black Swann. Granted Mila Kunis wasn't around to kick it up a notch:cwink:)

Not sure boobs are Portman's forte either.
Come on, Gwynnie. Portman's gorgeous. Although Jamie Alexander as Sif caught my eye more than Portman did.

I really liked the campfire scene, and moments like that. I like that to me, it felt like an infatuation and not all out love. He defended all of them because he likes them and Thor has never been the guy to let others die for him. Even when he fighting the Frost Giants, Thor tells the others to go while he continues to fight.

That's my point. It was a couple of scenes of infatuation and yet at the end the movie pretends to make it feel like some romance have happened or started.

Agreed, though I think some of her comedic scene could've been kept in if that was the case.

Well, I guess nothing can be completely perfect.

You're acting as if he spent the movie listening to her every order. She didn't really give him any demand other than "stop throwing tea cups".

And yet he obeyed immediately. He was used to the old tradition of smahing glasses and for no reason she demands him to behave radically differently and he had no objections.

Like I said, she liked him because he acted like royalty without much of the *****ebaggyness

He acts with some *****ibaggyness but he immediately stops it when she demands so. God knows why.

(and his physique didn't hurt either :yay:).

That's the only convincing argument the movie states.

He liked her because she was his opposite, and those down to earth quality she had was a good spoil to his cocky personality.

Many women might be his opposite man. One's left wondering why this one in particular who doesn't have any specially attractive personality.

Because I felt that people would use the opposite of the spectrum of "fun" movies to disagree with me with. My point is that if a movie can be done well, and hit its beats right, then I'd be satisfied.

I'm not disagreeing with how you felt about Thor because your feelings are justified.

Yeah, it's okay. But I remember so many arguments based on "being better than B&R"... I mean...

Like I said, I'm satisfied with the movie and liked it. I mean, it definitely surpassed my early expectations. I hope Thor becomes a popular character like Iron Man did a few years ago.

I think it will.

=================================

That makes some sense. Still, a conversation before the bonfire felt poor for a romance.

Maybe, yes. Because I saw Odin and some others being reluctant to Thor's will back in Asgard. It's not like he doesn't have people saying no to him.

What woman wasn't hot in this movie.

===============================

Seriously? :huh:
Just that scene between the Joker and Batman in the interrogation room was better written than anything in Thor (and I liked Thor).

That's absolutely right. But then again most of TDK was better written than, say, Iron Man, but yet Iron Man was fantastic as a fun movie. To me Thor looked predictable and rushed by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"