State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - Part 20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sucker Punch was dreadful and managed to waste the talents of so many great actors and actresses.

Not a fan of this summer? There have been some pretty good Sci-Fi movies, like Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and to a degree, DOFP and Guardians.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks fun:woot: And I like the first Planet of the Apes with Heston, it's a masterpiece. I'm not sure about the sequels/prequels, though.

Both Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes are excellent movies that do not disappoint. I loved them.

The latest two are great.

UO time, the latest two Apes movies are the only good ones. :o

LOL

I dunno, I just never really got into the series at all, until the reboot came out....and I mean the Franco/Serkis one, NOT Maaaaahk Whalberg :oldrazz:

The original POTA is the best by far... "Rise" was good... haven't seen "Dawn"

Rise is alright. Dawn is brilliant.

I loved both Rise and Dawn. I doubt that's unpopular.
What's even more impressive to me, is how they managed to make some really good movies out of a fairly difficult premise to pull off. Rise exceeded my expectations in a way I didn't imagine and I was already prepared for Dawn.

I'm actually on board, kind of, with thinking that this new PotA series is better than the original.
It's actually showing a lead up to hw the apes took over and the war betwwen man and ape. The original...nuclear war? They blew it up? Ok. It was impressive for it's time, and it's impressive now, but the new series is just better in my eyes.

I like Burton's Planet of the Apes
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
is my favorite 'Apes' movie so far

I like the original Planet of the Apes film. But you have to look at it with the eyes of that time. It hasn't aged well enough. But the story, the idea, is actually good. Is quality science fiction.

Yeah,Reeves kicked ass direction wise.

Pierre Boulle's original POTA book is still better than any of the films.

I'm actually on board, kind of, with thinking that this new PotA series is better than the original.
It's actually showing a lead up to hw the apes took over and the war betwwen man and ape. The original...nuclear war? They blew it up? Ok. It was impressive for it's time, and it's impressive now, but the new series is just better in my eyes.

You have to remember nuclear war was pretty much the ultimate nightmare back when the original POTA came out. It was strong social commentary and a product of its time.

The new series is better than the original series so far, but the original POTA with Heston is still the best single film in the whole franchise.

Sucker Punch was dreadful and managed to waste the talents of so many great actors and actresses.
Going by these boards that's not unpopular.
It's wrong, but it's not unpopular.
I like the original Planet of the Apes film. But you have to look at it with the eyes of that time. It hasn't aged well enough. But the story, the idea, is actually good. Is quality science fiction.
Agreed.

I actually liked Sucker Punch. It was exactly what I was expecting going into it: eye candy (both the action/visuals and the women) and the "Alice in Wonderland with machine guns" premise that Snyder said it would be.

Edit: it's like how I loved Fast Five. Was it the most well written, well acted, etc movie ever? Hell no. Did it deliver on what I went there to see? Hell yes. I wouldn't put Sucker Punch near the same level, but it's the same idea for why I liked it.

I really liked Sucker Punch too. I generally love movies where it's ambiguous as to whether the event of the movie occurred in the mind of the protagonist and with SP it was even ambiguous how much of the movie was in reality

Also the Soundtrack was badass

Last edited:
I viewed it as open to interpretation. Mostly I see it as the entire thing being in Babydolls head with Sweet Pea escaping and the whole fantasy stuff being in Babydolls mind but I saw it as possibly being real (except for the fantasy realms) with Sweet Pea escaping

Last edited:
Considering at the end, they specifically showed Baby Doll as the lobotomized girl, referenced the death of another girl, and referenced the escape of a third, it's pretty clear and not ambiguous in the slightest.

Pierre Boulle's original POTA book is still better than any of the films.

I've always hated comparing books to movies. Movies are (usually) confined to around 2 (and sometimes 3) hours with a (usually) singular plot. Novels are more about a society or a microcosm of it which has no limit on pages for the part. You can explore more with novels than you can with movies.

Whenever someone says a book is better than the movie I just usually say, "Of course".

I've always hated comparing books to movies. Movies are (usually) confined to around 2 (and sometimes 3) hours with a (usually) singular plot. Novels are more about a society or a microcosm of it which has no limit on pages for the part. You can explore more with novels than you can with movies.

Whenever someone says a book is better than the movie I just usually say, "Of course".
Good point. There are also cases where I love the film as much as the source material, The Shining or the Original Carrie come to mind, or where the film actually surpasses the book imo, The Night of the Hunter, Barry Lyndon etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"