State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want Tarantino to make something set in modern day but completely different from what he did in Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. It would be hard to imagine him doing something outside the criminal world but I would love to be surprised.

giphy.gif

Just kidding:woot:, I hope Tarantino returns to Crime too, he certainly put his own unique and great spin on the genre.

I would really like to see QT tackle at least one fantasy or sci fi story before he hangs up his spurs.

I love the fact that Tarantino is making another western. Django is easily one of his best movies. It's a genre that just works with him.

I love the fact that Tarantino is making another western. Django is easily one of his best movies. It's a genre that just works with him.

Without a doubt I totally am on edge to see HATEFUL 8.

To be contrary but positive, here are some movies I think got more flack than they deserved:

The Matrix sequels
Constantine
Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Green Lantern
Spider-Man 3
Batman Forever
Prometheus
SuckerPunch

The online fandom is far harsher than just about everybody else. At best the rest of the world looked at those films and shrugged, "Eh...". It's online where the HATE comes out from fanboys.

To be contrary but positive, here are some movies I think got more flack than they deserved:

The Matrix sequels
Constantine
Green Lantern
Spider-Man 3
Batman Forever
Prometheus
SuckerPunch

I think Matrix Reloaded is excellent, and Matrix Revolutions is a snooze.
I have not seen Constantine.
I don't hate the prequels, they did not rape my childhood.
I have not seen Origins.
Green Lantern I think was an abomination, I don't understand how a movie could be so bad. It was dumb and ugly to look at.
Spider Man 3 I thought was ok.
Batman Forever is hated in hindsight due to unfair association with Batman and Robin.
Prometheus works as a dumb albeit beautiful blockbuster.
I like Sucker Punch, but the music videos are really boring. I prefer the dialogue scenes.

Last edited:

The Matrix sequels
Constantine
Green Lantern
Spider-Man 3

Batman Forever
Prometheus
SuckerPunch
I recommend the "How Did This Get Made?" Podcasts on these films, very funny:woot: Especially the one on Sucker Punch.

Green Lantern I think was an abomination, I don't understand how a movie could be so bad. It was dumb and ugly to look at.

My bias on that one is my love for all things aliens, and the GL mythos is so creative and playful with their aliens and they made a point to give them some time in the spotlight. I also think the uniform was masterfully done. I wouldn't mind seeing something very similar in the DCCU.

Prometheus works as a dumb albeit beautiful blockbuster.

Prometheus is so much smarter than anyone has given it credit for.

[YT]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7CChfYoO_I[/YT]

"We live in an Internet world where people are so used to immediate answers and satisfaction that it seems like we've forgotten how great it is to see a film that asks us questions. A film that makes us question things and wonder and search."

I recommend the "How Did This Get Made?" Podcasts on these films, very funny:woot: Especially the one on Sucker Punch.

Did they miss the point and complain that it is sexist tripe when it is actually a satire of sexist tripe?

They were not complaining about anything, just funny. Movies like Sucker Punch are like gold for them lol.

Last edited:
Green Lantern isn't perfect at all, but I think it's entertaining:woot:

And Spider-Man 3 is good enough.

Sounds like Film Sack, which I love. I'm in.
I was not familiar with Film Sack so I looked on Wikipedia, it looks cool, I will check it out, thanks for the info. I think "HDTGM"might be less in-depth and more satirical but still a fun listen though.

giphy.gif

Just kidding:woot:, I hope Tarantino returns to Crime too, he certainly put his own unique and great spin on the genre.

I'd love to see Tarantino tackle an Untouchables like film or a Roman/Caesar set film.

TheBuzz,

The ancient alien hypothesis is intrinsically stupid, on par with homeopathy. That contributes to Prometheus not working.

It's hard to do serious philosophy on a dumb topic.

I saw Prometheus more like a Mountains of Madness adaptation rather than the ancient austronaut theory. Which is dumb but ultimately interesting to explore in sci fi.

I think Matrix Reloaded is excellent, and
I like Sucker Punch, but the music videos are really boring. I prefer the dialogue scenes.

I love the fantastic absurdity of their missions but find the other sections unexciting. I always imagine its a movie about an interdimensional elite force while I'm watching them and want to see that film.

TheBuzz,

The ancient alien hypothesis is intrinsically stupid, on par with homeopathy. That contributes to Prometheus not working.

It's hard to do serious philosophy on a dumb topic.

It was my understanding it wasn't the ancient alien hypothesis but the "seeding" hypothesis, which is suggested by a number of reputable scientists.

Just watched Neighbors, Zac Efron was really great in that, he should have been The Green Hornet lol.

There are some great ideas in Prometheus that are not properly realized in the movie. The prospect of humans seeking answers from their creators and finding instead horrors and an utter lack of comprehensible explanation is an interesting one for me. Part of the problem was that most of the characters learn absolutely nothing from the experience, most egregiously the main character. The story was leading or seemed to be leading to a conclusion about the futility of solving the great cosmic mystery but in the last five minutes the lead decides to go further into space and try to solve it anyway. All the death and destruction caused by her crusade was effectively rendered meaningless with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"