Stephen King's "IT" Part I and Part II

Reflections of James McAvoy: Inside his trip through the ‘It Chapter Two’ hall of mirrors

James McAvoy‘s first encounter with Pennywise came when he was 15, not much older than the average age of the Losers’ Club kids when they faced the murderous clown in Stephen King‘s 1986 novel It. The then teen from Glasgow, already a budding fan of science fiction and fantasy, had tackled the Lord of the Rings series a few years earlier. So reading something as “incredibly deep and dense” as King’s 1,138-page horror story wasn’t a stretch. “I didn’t find it that scary,” McAvoy says.

Now at 40, the actor is around the same age as the grown-up Losers’ Club members in It Chapter Two (Sept. 6). McAvoy plays the adult version of Bill in director Andy Muschietti’s sequel to his 2017 adaptation of the horror classic. But when McAvoy faced King’s concept of a killer clown this time around, he definitely wasn’t as blasé as he was in his youth.

“When I reread It as an adult for the film, I actually had nightmares about Pennywise in a way that I never did as a child,” he admits. Bill Skarsgård’s bone-chilling clown makeup as Pennywise notwithstanding, McAvoy’s new outlook on the story may be the same reason he keeps returning to a very particular kind of science-fiction and fantasy role: the half-goat faun Mr. Tumnus in the first Chronicles of Narnia movie; benevolent genius Professor Xavier in X-Men films; the buff, villainous Beast and his many personalities in the Unbreakablesequels. Clearly, the actor is drawn not only to a certain brand of badassery in his characters but to films that tend to transcend their genres.

With It, specifically, he found King didn’t just want to scare readers: “He’s writing about a small American town, he’s writing about death, he’s writing about growing old, growing up. And the movie is very much about that. You could argue the first movie is as much Stand by Meand Goonies and all those things as it is a horror movie.”

In Chapter Two, it’s been 27 years since the Losers made a pact to return to Derry should Pennywise ever rise again. Bill, played as an adolescent in the 2017 film by Jaeden Martell, is now a Hollywood screenwriter. His stutter’s nearly gone, but he’s “very lost and drifting through life,” McAvoy says. Bill can’t remember his childhood in Derry, nor Georgie, the little brother who died when Pennywise dragged the child down a sewer drain. After Mike (Isaiah Mustafa) calls the gang back home in the wake of another tragedy, old memories come to haunt them — some more literally than others.

“As an actor, you often put on a backstory you never [see] on screen,” McAvoy says. With It, he felt an “overwhelming sentimentality” as his own recollections blurred with Bill’s. “I’ve got these memories of my character as a young boy [from the first film],” he says, emphasizing his connection with the role.

McAvoy was Muschietti’s first choice to play Bill in the sequel, both because the director is a longtime fan and the actor looks like an adult version of Martell. Jessica Chastain, who plays the grown-up Beverly in It Chapter Two, was a matchmaker of sorts, revealing Muschietti’s admiration when she and McAvoy were working together on the set of Simon Kinberg’s X-Men film, Dark Phoenix. (Muschietti was her director on 2013’s Mama.)

Being a major King fan, McAvoy squealed internally. “You hear things like that a lot in your career from various different people, and it doesn’t always necessarily come through,” he says. “A very wise actor once told me, ‘Don’t believe you’ve got the job until you see yourself on screen at the premiere.'” A few months later, McAvoy finally got the official call.

“I think that he’s so committed to the character, to the story, and something that I cannot value enough, which is his talent,” says Muschietti, who also calls McAvoy “a real trouper” when it comes to the physical stunt work — the star strained his quads and developed tendinitis in his knees from shooting multiple takes of a grueling sequence in the third act. (McAvoy’s fine now, as the actor repeated more than once on social media and to Conan O’Brien on his show.)

In another demanding scene, a departure from King’s book, Bill chases a little boy around the same age as Georgie through a carnival’s hall of mirrors to try to save him from Pennywise. The entire sequence was shot with virtually no computer effects (Muschietti says you’ll know the small bit of CGI when you see it) and two cameras rolling simultaneously. It’s a moment that emerged over drinks — tequila, to be exact — between the actor and director.

“We were missing a vital story beat for Bill where he dealt with his guilt that he caused his brother’s death,” McAvoy recalls. “I said to Andy, “What can we do?’…and literally in 50 minutes, he invented a whole new sequence. It was never in the script, and it isn’t in the book. It’s brilliant.”

Unlike the fun-house scene, McAvoy’s next project is by the book: He’ll star as Lord Asriel on His Dark Materials (debuting later this year on HBO), based on Philip Pullman’s best-selling trilogy. “They’re completely different [roles],” he says. “That allows me, as an actor, to flex my muscles and keep interested in what I do.” Asriel, a character from a parallel reality where a person’s soul exists outside their body as a talking animal, is “so overly certain and selfish.” With the character on a quest to unlock the secrets of a mystical particle, McAvoy adds, “he’s not gonna change his world, he’s not gonna change our world, he’s gonna change all the worlds.”

You know, the usual.

When a Pennywise doll landed in woman's backyard, she says she burned it and slept with a knife

HARRINGTON PARK, N.J. – They all float down here. Or at least they fall from the sky.

Renee Jensen and her boyfriend were relaxing on a sunny Saturday afternoon when an unidentified object landed in their backyard. The object sailed through the air, somehow not hitting any of the trees surrounding her yard, she said.

As Jensen approached the object to inspect it, she came face to face with Pennywise, the murderous clown that lives off fear.

The plush toy, with its frayed-off tag and mysterious markings on its forehead, was enough to spook Jensen and her boyfriend.

"I turned it over and I jumped back and dropped the thing and yelled for Alex," said Jensen. "He picked it up and I was freaking out. It was creepy and it had weird...I don't even know what the writing was. It looked culty."

So when officers left, Jensen, who owns a reiki and intuitive healing business, did not want to take any chances.

"They left and then I burned the thing," she said. "I tried to burn it with a lighter. The stupid thing would not light because it has the flame ******ant. Then I put olive oil on it. Still wouldn't light. Then I put newspaper on it and light it up on fire."

Pennywise (Bill Skarsgard) returns to terrify the adult members of the Losers' Club in the horror sequel 'It Chapter Two.' USA TODAY

The doll succumbed to the flames, almost completely burnt to ashes. After burning the doll, Jensen burned sage and walked around her property, trying to cleanse the area. And at night – still scared – she slept with a knife. Just in case.

"I didn't want this thing on my property," she said. "I know people think it's crazy but...it's creepy."

image.jpg

69511866_103090211062156_8232248594602655744_n.jpg

It: Chapter 2 director is working on a supercut featuring both movies back-to-back | GamesRadar+

How much Pennywise can you handle? It: Chapter Two director Andy Muschietti recently spoke to our sister publication SFX magazine and revealed that he has plans to release both a longer director’s cut and a supercut combining both It: Chapter One and Chapter Two into one big scarefest.

“The possibilities are open,” Muschietti says of future, longer cuts of It: Chapter Two. “There’s a version where the two movies are cut together. There’s a version where there’s a special director’s cut of number one and a special director’s cut of number two. And I’m happy to basically work on every one of them.”

Chapter Two runtime already clocks in at a bulky 165 minutes, the director’s cut version should surpass even that.

The director explained that the first Chapter Two director’s cut was around “four hours long” and he’s now going to be working on “the director’s cut, based on my first director’s cut.” It’s “definitely going to happen,” says Muschietti.

Even if the spine-tingling supercut doesn’t come to pass, you can be safe (or perhaps not-so-safe) in the knowledge that there are still hidden corners of the It franchise lurking just around the corner.

This would be so awesome!!!!

Also, sounds like the embargo will be lifted today!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm actually glad it's not universally praised on Twitter, you need that varied opinion. The runtime is necessary considering how long the book is.

Heh, sounds like reviews of the adult sections from the IT novel. I guess that’s as it should be.

Not too happy Pennywise doesn’t have bigger screen time.

You know, I'm perfectly fine with the other negative reviews given to this movie since they're worded professionally at least, but it's crap like this that makes me assume this review in particular is pure hyperbole. I almost expected her to write "I almost walked out, it was so godawful". :whatever:

I figured with that run time we'd get more Pennywise, that's a shame. My expectations were already set as "won't be as good as chapter one" so the bit of divisiveness isn't too troubling.

The movie might be polarizing to a few, but if you're on board from the start, it'll work like gangbusters. The film is a gorgeous, heartfelt and highly ambitious horror event that you won't see again anytime soon. The lore in the book is a bit wonky at times leading up to its finale, Andy definitely condensed it into a more refined and accessible culmination. Cast is stellar, and has one of the most emotional payoffs in horror film i've ever seen. My favorite film of the year.

^
Happy to hear that. Wasn't expecting the embargo to drop so soon.

I do question when people say “overlong” for a film because these same people are happy to binge 20 hours of some tv show.

You know, I'm perfectly fine with the other negative reviews given to this movie since they're worded professionally at least, but it's crap like this that makes me assume this review in particular is pure hyperbole. I almost expected her to write "I almost walked out, it was so godawful". :whatever:

Are these two related or married?

I'd also like to know their reactions to the deaths in the film. Because I can see how the opening could make some people turn on the film right at the start souring the whole experience and how the ending could then cement that negative opinion.

I do question when people say “overlong” for a film because these same people are happy to binge 20 hours of some tv show.
People binge television shows in the comfort of their homes on much smaller screens. It's a different experience from sitting in a stiff theater seat in front of a giant, stupidly bright screen, while being assaulted by theater speakers, surrounded by hundreds of strangers. And with a horror film there is continual tension and stress. That **** wears a person out, quick. And a person has to deal with potential bathroom conundrum at the theater.

I binge shows regularly, but you couldnt pay me to spend more than 4 hours at a theater. I get headaches, back aches, my knees get stiff, and my ass goes numb. I get thirsty and hungry. Its a less and less comfortable ecperience the older I get.

I knew Bill was gonna slay and get praise but this is even better than I expected!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"