Stranger Things (Netflix) - Part 1

See... I think Lucas is the one that's just kinda "there" now. In season 3 he was just defined as the somewhat henpecked boyfriend of Max's. He's turned out to be the most flat of the kids for myself.
I feel this season that Lucas had no arc but he did have memorable scenes and was a marvel to watch. They gave Max more to do but little for Lucas.

In season 2 (Since Will was mostly absent being lost in the Upside Down) Schnapp gave one hell of a performance as the scarred and then possessed Will. In season 3 Will has the (unfortunately cut short) arc of being left behind by his friends who are marching towards and embracing the changes of their teen years. He has scenes where he gets into it with Mike or where he destroys Castle Byers. What have they EVER done with Lucas anywhere near as dramatically rich or as interesting as that? The honest answer is that they haven't. Of all the kids he has the most subdued personality, whether by design or default, they just haven't done anything particularly meaty or interesting with Lucas. Thus, he finds himself mostly just kinda there. Sure... They give him an action to do, use his wrist rocket, come up with the plan to use the fireworks... But is that an arc? Are those textured traits of characterization? I would say no.
Hopefully for season 4, they give him something more to do. Not sure if it's the writers intentionally doing that or maybe its the actor's range or what but its tres troubling.

Finished the season. It was entertaining enough but it felt a lot more forced and contrived to me than S1 and even S2. They really need to figure out a new angle, setting, and structure for whatever the next season is. This really should have been an anthology series but that was never gonna happen after the first season which was such a big hit and people latched onto the characters they way they did.

There's a smugness and bigger-is-better vibe to this season that I didn't much care for and the whole Russian plotline felt like it came from a completely different show, and it's not a very good show. That said, there were some cool moments and it's still an enjoyable watch overall.
^This. The Russian plot is really over the top. It doesn't gel perfectly with ST as we know it.

I think they could explore more of Lucas military 'wannabe soldier' side in the future. Lucas dad is a Nam veteran. I could see Lucas enlisting when he grows up.

I also think they could have Lucas ask his dad for more relationship advise more like he did in season 2. I think it would be funny if the relationship advise he offers his friends is just misunderstood advise his father gave him.
Anyone else think Mike is such an annoying little *****e? In season 1 I couldn't stand Lucas but in season 2 and 3, Mike is the worst kid besides Erica
Mike has always had a jerky/bratty side to him. I don't find him unlikable but he he does have his insensitive jerk moments from time to time.

I felt the Russian plot fit with the Stranger Things universe. The Cold War was still going on in the Eighties and Soviets were the boogeymen in a lot of pop culture of the period. Even in season one they showed Eleven being used for international espionage (against most likely a Soviet spy) in the Hawkins Lab which led to her accidentally opening a gateway to the Upside Down.

The only thing I didn't like was how cartoonish all the Soviet characters were. None of them seemed like believable people. Stranger Things has typically done a good job of taking archetypes and making them multifaceted believable characters.

Last edited:
The only thing I didn't like was how cartoonish all the Soviet characters were. None of them seemed like believable people. Stranger Things has typically done a good job of taking archetypes and making them multifaceted believable characters.

What about Alexei? He wasn't anything like the stereotypical big, hard-drinking Russian you'd see elsewhere.

Russian Terminator guy was over the top but was badass, so I liked him

wow had NO idea Robin was Uma Thurman's daughter but now knowing this, I see it he he
Yeah, I had no idea either that her parents were Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman!

Something I haven't seen talked about anywhere was the heart to heart scene between Nancy and her mom. I thought it was a great scene and very well acted by both actresses

wow finished the series that was amazing cannot wait for a season 4 if it gets made

Finished it last night too and I have no doubt they will do a season 4. This is one of Netflix's major original productions and it pulls in a lot of subs.

Last episode felt like a series finale but the mid credits scene pretty much guarantees at least one more season.

I love the show but hope season 4 or 5 is it than going for too long

Last edited:
I just hope it doesn't take them another two years to do it.

This season just rolled for me. Loved every minute of it. The blockbuster spectacle of it is awesome, but there's just something about the emotional heartbreak for every kid at the end that just crushes me. That feeling of moving on never stops hurting.

Last episode felt like a series finale but the mid credits scene pretty much guarantees at least one more season.

I love the show but hope season 4 or 5 is it than going for too long
There were too many unresolved plot points for this to be it. Especially with certain character arcs even before the midcredits tease.

as a HUGE BTTF fan I loved the part that had the first film showing up in the theater during the season finale and how Steve listed it as one of his 3 fave movies during a job interview he he.

Just finished season 3. Absolutely masterful. Can’t wait for more. What an amazing series it is.

I really love that coming out scene. I was worried they would make it too modern (it is set in the mid eighties after all, right at the moment homophobia was at its most powerful) but it was just superb. It made me so happy and I hope other people who might be closeted and having trouble really loved it too

as a HUGE BTTF fan I loved the part that had the first film showing up in the theater during the season finale and how Steve listed it as one of his 3 fave movies during a job interview he he.

My theorizing brain thought it could be foreshadowing time travel in a later season. There have been theories for a while that the Upside Down is not an alternate dimension but some kind of post-apocalyptic future.

I geeked out for the Back to the Future stuff. I doubt it was a foreshadowing but it's an interesting theory about the upside down

well since BTTF came out around the same time the events in the finale took place {in fact BTTF came out July 3, 1985) as Doc would say "Other than that it could just be an amazing coincidence" he he.

I geeked out for the Back to the Future stuff. I doubt it was a foreshadowing but it's an interesting theory about the upside down
Yeah, perfect film for them to crash.

Joe Keery, who plays Steve Harrington in Stranger Things, has made his solo debut with the release of single 'Roddy' from his musical project, Djo.

Previously part of the psychedelic band Post Animal, Keery now drops his soft vocals over synths and harmonies on this new psych-pop slow jam.

I know I'm kind of late in joining the Stranger Thing bandwagon, but for the past 2 weeks, I watched both Season 1 and Season 2 on DVD.

and wow! I'm glad I decided to give this show a chance. It's one of the best, most engrossing tv shows I've watched in a long time. I can see why people binge watch shows like this on Netflix - you really do want to find out what happens next episode because the show has captured your attention.

I'm really looking forward to watching Season 3. in fact, it's a reason why I'm seriously considering subbing to Netflix to watch this series as well as other exclusive shows, like the Witcher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"