Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully this means GCS wont be fighting some world ending threat.

Hopefully this means GCS wont be fighting some world ending threat.

They won't but I wonder who they will face. Will they be anti Herolee or be taking on someone like the Birds of Prey I wonder.

Maybe I'm alone on this island, but I really don't believe Suicide Squad and especially BvS deserve to be in the 20s on RT.

Both should be at least in the 50s or 60s (I feel BvS should be in the 70s)

I completely agree. Especially when they have the same rating as Fantastic Four(2005). I mean, really?

That would change the entire premise

That's sorta the point. They should've been fighting more grounded threats, something Ayer agrees on by his own admission.

That's sorta the point. They should've been fighting more grounded threats, something Ayer agrees on by his own admission.

I get that but the team been created because Superman dies and they wouldn't have anything to deal with an evil Superman again such as Zod, etc is a sound one IMO. I think any other reasons just leave you thinking why would Waller out this group together? I certainly don't think she would for the Joker.

I get that but the team been created because Superman dies

I'm not sure you get me. I'm saying they shouldn't have been formed as a response to Superman-level threats and that as a premise, it was one of the big problems of the movie.

I get that but the team been created because Superman dies and they wouldn't have anything to deal with an evil Superman again such as Zod, etc is a sound one IMO. I think any other reasons just leave you thinking why would Waller out this group together? I certainly don't think she would for the Joker.

In some ways I think Ayer went overboard with his letter.

However, his earlier statement was that he wanted to showcase the craziness of the original comics. Where the Suicide Squad would be fighting these world ending sort of threats. The irony is that his movie was more faithful than its given credit for. The issue was the execution. Thats not something he's as comfortable with so he should have made in more ground level.

Waller wouldn't make them try to stop the Joker. However, I think Ayer is saying he wishes he crafted a story where the Joker trying to get Harley back/fighting the squad would have been the final arc of the movie.

In some ways I think Ayer went overboard with his letter.

However, his earlier statement was that he wanted to showcase the craziness of the original comics. Where the Suicide Squad would be fighting these world ending sort of threats. The irony is that his movie was more faithful than its given credit for. The issue was the execution. Thats not something he's as comfortable with so he should have made in more ground level.

Waller wouldn't make them try to stop the Joker. However, I think Ayer is saying he wishes he crafted a story where the Joker trying to get Harley back/fighting the squad would have been the final arc of the movie.

Could have worked but we'll never know lol

I'm not sure you get me. I'm saying they shouldn't have been formed as a response to Superman-level threats and that as a premise, it was one of the big problems of the movie.

Yeah but I'm saying I disagree but respect your POV.

Watch Assault on Arkham, which is a way better SS movie. Waller sent them into Arkham just to get The Riddler's cane because it had top secret info in it. Was 50 times more compelling to watch than anything in this movie.

Despite how you may feel about the film, you gotta appreciate the candidness. Good words from Ayer.

Personally I like the movie, but still him acknowledging the poorer parts of the movie and choices he made is endearing. I have always liked him as a film maker. This makes me like him more as a person.

Watch Assault on Arkham, which is a way better SS movie. Waller sent them into Arkham just to get The Riddler's cane because it had top secret info in it. Was 50 times more compelling to watch than anything in this movie.

As a fan of Suicide Squad I agree with this still. It was much better. Same way First Flight was better than the Green Lantern movie.

This movie needed a different everything. Still can't believe how this movie turned out.

I commend him for admitting that he could have written a better story.

Indeed. Gives me confidence that, unlike Snyder, he'll actually learn from his mistakes and do his best going forward.

C2uzOpGUUAAL7yf.jpg

So David Ayer just cleared a few things up.

-First its very sad to hear him talking about the overly negative reaction and how ****** it is to see your blood and sweat of years being destroyed and shredded by the public.
-He acknowledges the movie had flaws and says he should have made Joker the villain and made the movie more grounded.
-Agreed with the rest of the what he said as well. Also great to hear him say "I would have to give the characters the plot they deserve next time".

Thats all great to hear. I am now more confident in GCS, because he seems to have learnt his lesson. SS was not all bad, it had its highs, it had its lows. And he seems to have learnt his lessons from his lows. And the hatred Skwad and Ayer received was a bit too extreme at times.

It takes a lot of courage to admit your flaws. What Ayer did was a brave thing and commands a lot of respect. Thats all I have to say.

I'm looking forward to his sequel to this and Gotham City Sirens. A film where Joker's possessed by Incubus would've been better. :up:

If he's referring to the Nightshade Odyssey storyline from the early comics, then yeah a lot of that outside of Incubus/Enchantress and their critters wasn't filmable at all. I'm eager to see what kind of underworld grit he brings to GSC. The biggest strength of the early comics was the geopolitics - simply tweaking Enchantress's motive so that her spell is more a piece of mutually-assured destruction with which to defend her new nation-state in Midway City would've blended the geopolitics nicely with the insanity of the comics.

Sure, it's nice that Ayer is being candid and reflecting, but I'm still on the fence as far as Gotham City Sirens. The fact that there's already going to be a Sirens film so soon, that he'll be directing again, and that it's being fast-tracked, I'm almost expecting WB to have Ayer rush through another production. And the writer, this Geneva Dworet-Robertson, has done...what? The upcoming Tomb Raider film? Sherlock Holmes 3?

Again, glad that Ayer has taken his time to reflect on what he could have done differently with Suicide Squad and while it blows to see the response to your work. Ayer is a talented director, as we know, but I don't see how his second fortay with the DCEU or even a second crack at Suicide Squad would've been any better received, whether by fans or critics.

Call it my pessimism with this universe, even though I hope that the likes of Wonder Woman and Justice League are solid films, not adequate pictures that only get better with an extended home release.

I'm not completely sold on GCS either, but it's at least a little refreshing to know he can see where SS went wrong and that he wants to do better the next go around.

I guess I'm just trying to be as optimistic as possible and hope for the best. But the chosen screenwriter & David's history with female characters is still a cause for concern.

C2uzOpGUUAAL7yf.jpg

So David Ayer just cleared a few things up.

-First its very sad to hear him talking about the overly negative reaction and how ****** it is to see your blood and sweat of years being destroyed and shredded by the public.
-He acknowledges the movie had flaws and says he should have made Joker the villain and made the movie more grounded.
-Agreed with the rest of the what he said as well. Also great to hear him say "I would have to give the characters the plot they deserve next time".

Thats all great to hear. I am now more confident in GCS, because he seems to have learnt his lesson. SS was not all bad, it had its highs, it had its lows. And he seems to have learnt his lessons from his lows. And the hatred Skwad and Ayer received was a bit too extreme at times.

It takes a lot of courage to admit your flaws. What Ayer did was a brave thing and commands a lot of respect. Thats all I have to say.

Hopefully this means he'll approach GCS properly and plan it out well this time around. SS was a rushed, badly thought-out mess and it tells.

I do respect him talking openly like this. Again, I hope these are not empty promises.

I just don't think he's a good fit for GCS. His treatment of female characters in his movies are terrible.

Hope more than anything Ayer realizes the biggest criticism against Skwad is how "vanilla" it is.

Also, I don't know how much more he's even allowed to go into the editing and scripting process
because those are pretty high on the list of causation to these flaws.

If he puts the same level of care he put into Waller, he should be able to do a female-centric flick.

I just don't think he's a good fit for GCS. His treatment of female characters in his movies are terrible.

That is true. Well, I'm not sure I'd call it exactly terrible, but it is pretty bad, yeah.

Waller is the most concise female character he's worked on, and I gotta imagine that's due largely in part to Viola Davis being in the role.

I truly hope he doesn't relegate Catwoman & Poison ivy to being two dimensional sex objects like he primarily did with Harley in SS.

He's not writing it this time (a new female writer is), so that's a start. Hopefully with Margot in the producer's role she'll be more hands-on in what's appropriate for each character.

Margot Robbie is in the executive seat, so the level of creative clout is hazy.

The screenwriter is a total unknown outside of being lapped with all these seemingly big projects.

I thought Harley and Waller were both well-done. Katana could've used more. I'd prefer it was Ayer writting GCS.

He's not writing it this time (a new female writer is), so that's a start. Hopefully with Margot in the producer's role she'll be more hands-on in what's appropriate for each character.

IIRC, this woman wrote a movie that scored a 0% on RT so I'm not exactly enthused that she's on board, so we're really in the exact same place we were before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"