Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - - - Part 12

I haven't followed Supergirl that much in recent times. But the crossover has my interest.

I pretty much stopped watching any of the CW shows. But I'll tune in for the crossover.

I pretty much stopped watching any of the CW shows. But I'll tune in for the crossover.

I think the last crossover felt very self contained and I can see them continuing that this season. Its quite smart cause they can increase their viewership.

I’m watching World’s Finest from S1 for the first time in years and I forgot how great this was.

I’m watching World’s Finest from S1 for the first time in years and I forgot how great this was.

I never quite understood how that fitted into continuity. We didn't see the Flash having that device on his chest and going off at the end of one of his episodes and potentially arriving on Earth 38. I am not sure when exactly he is supposed to have travelled there. The way it actually worked out on the Flash, it doesn't seem like it quite fitted in exactly with what was happening.

I never quite understood how that fitted into continuity. We didn't see the Flash having that device on his chest and going off at the end of one of his episodes and potentially arriving on Earth 38. I am not sure when exactly he is supposed to have travelled there. The way it actually worked out on the Flash, it doesn't seem like it quite fitted in exactly with what was happening.

Barry traveling to Earth 38 was portrayed on his show, via this clip.

Barry traveling to Earth 38 was portrayed on his show, via this clip.

That's not how it happened in the show. That is a fan-compiled clip where they've put the Flash and Supergirl episodes together. We never actually saw him going into Supergirl's Earth on the Flash. He merely accelerated faster on the Flash show and went off to different places, but then came back and never reported about having been to Earth 38.

In the Supergirl episode, it started with Silver Banshee going into CatCo and using her sonic scream that knocked Kara out of the window. Only then did Flash appear out of the blue through a vortex and rushed to save her. It didn't happen the way it was shown in this clip.

They've only cut it that way in this clip to appear that there's more continuity than there actually was.

It did fit in with an episode cause we saw Flash run with the tachyon device and then arrive back. We didn’t see him come through a breach portal but the implication is he arrives the moment Kara falls. The only issue was on the Flash when he arrived back on his own Earth he didn’t mention where he’d been to Cisco and co.

It did fit in with an episode cause we saw Flash run with the tachyon device and then arrive back. We didn’t see him come through a breach portal but the implication is he arrives the moment Kara falls. The only issue was on the Flash when he arrived back on his own Earth he didn’t mention where he’d been to Cisco and co.

And that's what didn't seem to fit. After such an adventure, he would surely not be able to contain himself talking about it. The way it was filmed, it was more like Supergirl was an add on, and Flash was entirely self contained. Even a hint at having visited Supergirl with a one line sentence would've sufficed.

Even Arrow managed to hint at a cameo in the Vixen cartoon by saying he had some animated adventures. We knew what he meant without him saying exactly what it was. That was all that was needed for Supergirl.

And that's what didn't seem to fit. After such an adventure, he would surely not be able to contain himself talking about it. The way it was filmed, it was more like Supergirl was an add on, and Flash was entirely self contained. Even a hint at having visited Supergirl with a one line sentence would've sufficed.

Even Arrow managed to hint at a cameo in the Vixen cartoon by saying he had some animated adventures. We knew what he meant without him saying exactly what it was. That was all that was needed for Supergirl.

Yeah they could have even had a quick line about it. I wonder if it had anything to do with the shows been on separate networks.

Yeah they could have even had a quick line about it. I wonder if it had anything to do with the shows been on separate networks.

That is a possibility, but I don't see why it would've been a problem to mention something. Flash appeared on a separate network on CBS in Supergirl's show in the first place, so the stage was already set for a crossover. The CW already loaned out the Flash for use. CBS could've allowed a mention of Supergirl in return since it boosted the ratings for their Supergirl episode.

But even if they didn't mention her explicitly, Flash could've said something that we would've all understood as referring to Supergirl.

Even in the first Ant-Man film, there was a description of a character's powers who might not have necessarily referred to Spider-Man at the time when it was made. However, after the Sony deal, this would've always been interpreted as referring to Spidey and fits in nicely to bring some continuity.

The way they left it hanging on the Flash always feels off. All they had to do was have Cisco ask why Barry looked so unsettled, Barry could have smiled and they end with, 'I have a story to tell you guys!'

The way they left it hanging on the Flash always feels off. All they had to do was have Cisco ask why Barry looked so unsettled, Barry could have smiled and they end with, 'I have a story to tell you guys!'

Yeah or "you won't believe where I have been", then cut away to the next scene.

Yeah or "you won't believe where I have been", then cut away to the next scene.

That would've been all that was needed. He could've even just said he had a super adventure.

But the way it all happened on the Flash, it was as if all those trips to other universes were rather run-0f-the-mill, and nothing of note to report.

I think Barry came back with asking how long was he gone.

First Elseworlds teaser:

Does Stephen have it in his contract to be making out with the other ladies of the Arrowverse every crossover?

Based on the very Alien heavy theme I would like to see more DC alien characters.
*The constant Nth metal references make me think they should at least have one or too random Thangarians in the background.
*Blue Beetle.
*Green Lantern (Yea it's in movie limbo. Unlikely but a man can dream)
*Lobo (I tweeted one of the writers and he hinted they came pretty close to adding him to the season. Now that he's on Krypton, the chance are even less, but there's a female version of Lobo called Crush they could use)
*Space Cabbie.(He was hilarious in Justice Leagues Action, and could provide a bit of fun and levity)

First Elseworlds teaser:

See… I thought that the swapped versions of Ollie and Barry were Evil™. But it now seems like they’re just caught up in Alternative Universe shenanigans. Presumably, though, Dark Superman is Evil™...? :shrug:

Yes, they seem to have swapped places with their doppelgangers from another Earth. Here's another:

Hopefully we'll be getting an SG-centric one on Sunday.

So we're back to the episodic feel for the crossovers instead of a movie, they couldnt handle it for more then 1 year?
Furthermore, whereas “Crisis” felt like a four-hour movie, “Elseworlds” returns to the episodic format of the earlier crossovers. “I think this year, it feels a lot more like individual [episodes],” says The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing. “Flash kind of feels like a Flash episode, Arrow feels like an Arrow episode, Supergirl feels like a Supergirl episode.”

Adds Rovner, “It’s like a three chapters of one story, but they’re all kind of unique to their own show.”

Rest of the interview:
The three-night event begins with Arkham Asylum doc John Deegan (Lost’s Jeremy Davies) rewriting reality, which results in Oliver (Amell) and Barry (Gustin) swapping lives. In this new reality, Oliver Queen looks like Gustin and Barry Allen looks like Amell, and the two heroes are the only ones who know they’re in the wrong lives and have each other’s powers. This not only explains what’s going on in the recent promos, but also why the actors have swapped costumes.

“You’re not going to see me playing Oliver Queen’s mannerisms, or Stephen playing Barry’s mannerisms. It’s more being aware that for some reason we’ve switched lives and destinies. It’s more the fun of the situational comedy that we keep finding ourselves in, and less us having a complete role reversal,” Gustin tells EW. “We get to see Stephen do some of the more goofy speed stuff I have to do on a regular basis, and I get some actual combat as Green Arrow. So, we just see different colors for each of us.”

“Having superpowers is crazy! Wearing the Flash suit is crazy!” says Amell, who, like everyone else involved, sounds genuinely thrilled about the crossover’s story. “The idea is that in order to be the best version of Barry Allen, which I have to be because we face a threat, there are elements of his personality I have to embrace, and there are elements of my personality that he has to embrace.”

The swap is also one of the reasons reason “Elseworlds” is funnier than previous crossovers.

“My initial reaction in reading the scripts this year was that it would be a hoot to film. The comedy just lives in this. Even just seeing them in each other’s suits is funny; they’re literally putting themselves in each other’s shoes!” says Benoist, whose character, Kara/ Supergirl, gets pulled in because she’s the only one who can see Barry and Oliver for who they really are (the perks of being from another Earth?). “She inevitably becomes kind of a middleman because ultimately there’s conflict between the two and they start butting heads.”

Adds Supergirl co-showrunner Robert Rovner, “She’s trying to help them navigate what they’re going through and support them and kind of battle their way back to being who they’re supposed to be.”

That dynamic is on full display in a banter-filled scene EW observed in October, in which the three heroes find themselves locked up in Gotham City (as superheroes are wont to do), and it falls on Kara to referee an argument between the two men. Watching the three leads bounce of each other is a thrill, mostly because we rarely get low-stakes scenes like this that are just about Kara, Oliver, and Barry’s dynamic. (We’ve definitely gotten some Oliver-Barry moments like this.)

Arrowverse stars reveal details about the Trinity-centric 'Elseworlds' crossover

So I'm guessing there will be multiple writers credited after all, regardless of what Amell said earlier.

Also, I posted this in the Lex thread but might as well put it here, too. Melissa's recent set visit interview revealed he's been cast (but of course she kept mum on who it was). People have pointed out that she just started following Chris Meloni on Instagram and he would certainly the bill (and has history with the franchise), except for the fact that he's only 1 year younger than Brenda Strong who would be playing his mom. But hey, if Cher can play Meryl Streep's mom with a two-year age difference, I guess anything's possible.

Last edited:
DsF7MEyU0AAGHKb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"