Supergirl Movie

latest

How about Kiernan Shipka (she's playing Sabrina in the upcoming reboot) as Kara?? She's got the looks and she's 18 years old atm. She looks like she could be a good fit.

latest

How about Kiernan Shipka (she's playing Sabrina in the upcoming reboot) as Kara?? She's got the looks and she's 18 years old atm. She looks like she could be a good fit.
Never seen her before but she looks like she could fit.

A supergirl trilogy movie I'd rather see since they have used superman to death, literally in movie speaking. A fresh change would be nice and see supergirl movie, batgirl movie and others.

I suspect that the Supergirl film ,like the Joker film, is not gonna be part of the DCEU, so the 70s setting with a baby Kal El would make sense. Its not gonna be Cavill's Kal -El, so there won't be any inconsistency timeline wise .

Wtf are they thinking? You make Superman a mentor to the young Kara. Whatever. This forking studio, man.... they have NO IDEA

I suspect that the Supergirl film ,like the Joker film, is not gonna be part of the DCEU, so the 70s setting with a baby Kal El would make sense. Its not gonna be Cavill's Kal -El, so there won't be any inconsistency timeline wise .
The universe of films where half the films will either not be a part of it or will be discontinued from the canon. Really giving people a reason to invest for the long term there.

latest

She has the look for Kara for sure, and could play her for a good number of films.

I’m cool with the DCEU being dead as long as we get a future Batman movie with Keaton

That gives me more reason to suspect the 70s rumor isn't true, unless they well and truly have given up on making crossover team-up movies, in which case they can pretty much stop worrying about what is and isn't in the DCEU.

Regardless, I don't especially like the idea of setting it in the 1970s not because of how it does or doesn't fit with Superman or anything else, but because I just don't think that's the optimal setting for a Supergirl film. If it's going to be a period piece, I'd go with the 80s or 90s instead.

That gives me more reason to suspect the 70s rumor isn't true, unless they well and truly have given up on making crossover team-up movies, in which case they can pretty much stop worrying about what is and isn't in the DCEU.
They pretty much have given up with crossover team up films save BOP, assuming that still happens. There's not gonna be a JL 2 nor a Legion of Doom film, nor Flashpoint etc. Its not happening . The Batman is likely gonna be a reboot, Superman is gonna be a reboot, Supergirl will be its own thing, Joker will be its own thing, WW84 and Aquaman aren't gonna refer back or by bound by the Sndyerverse, so yeah, the DC Unified Cinematic Universe is over .

A Supergirl film should not be filling me with such a sense of dread, but this is where we're at right now, I guess. I love the Superman mythos and Supergirl, but the fact that they feel they can possibly to it without addressing or featuring Superman at all if they have to is pretty alarming. Slightly less troubling but still bad is, if this thing with Cavill somehow works out...they are only talking a cameo? The word "cameo" does not bring to mind something significant.

And these two characters are significant to each other. Clark grew up thinking he was the only member left of his species, and when he gets around to finally meeting others and learns he's not alone...it's Zod and his cronies. Meeting another member of his species who is not only a good person needing guidance but is also his blood relative who knew his birth parents is HUGE for him. From Kara's perspective, she actually grew up on Krypton (or in the Silver Age, on Argo City after its destruction, but still surrounded by a city populous and culture before it too was destroyed) and lived with her birth parents all her life to that point. She experienced Krypton's loss, and believes her entire family is dead until she meets Kal. That is similarly a major event for her. This is not the type of meeting that should be relegated to a cameo or, even worse, an off screen meeting. It'd frankly be kind of insulting. Don't blue ball the audience like that, why should we care about this girl and her familial connection to Superman if the damn film doesn't care enough to actually show it?

If they are worried that too much Superman will overshadow Supergirl in her film, well the sensible thing would be to do a proper MOS sequel based around him meeting Kara with Brainiac as the threat that unites them. If they are not completely confident in Superman himself anymore, market the bad place out of Kara's involvement in the film. She'd likely be the deutragonist anyway. After they see how that goes, spin off Supergirl into her own film where they could get away with only a cameo for Superman or not feature him at all because the big meeting already took place.

As far as these rumors of a Supergirl film set in the 70s, I hope they are not true, because that would be so dumb. If it's set in the DCEU, that would mean Supergirl debuted before Superman. And I'm sorry, I love her, but she's a supplemental/supporting character, not the face of the franchise. You think they would ever have Robin or Batgirl debut before Batman? bad place, I don't think they would do that with ANY of the others, but somehow this may be being considered for Superman.

One can never throw around the word "easy" when it comes to making Superman movies, but I do believe that introducing Kara in MoS2 would have been a great way to get them back on the right track. That dynamic hasn't been done on the big screen before, and it sort of forces the studio and filmmakers out of this box that they seem to be stuck in.

Can they make a Supergirl movie without Superman in it? Sure. But man would they be missing a huge opportunity. Not only to introduce Kara to a much wider audience than the CW show will ever reach, but also to develop Superman in such a way that audiences have never seen.

Last edited:
Superman being a mentor to a young Kara in MOS2 would be the perfect continuation of the characterization they seemed to be pushing for Superman at the end of Justice League. It would’ve been a great way to demonstrate the compassion and earnestness synonymous with the character. Putting an emphasis on the big blue boyscout aspects of the character in contrast to the brash, impulsive elements of Kara’s personality would’ve provided some nice character development for Clark.

One can never throw around the word "easy" when it comes to making Superman movies, but I do believe that introducing Kara in MoS2 would have been a great way to get them back on the right track. That dynamic hasn't been done on the big screen before, and it sort of forces the studio and filmmakers out of this box that they seem to be stuck in.

Can they make a Supergirl movie without Superman in it? Sure. But man would they be missing a huge opportunity. Not only to introduce Kara to a much wider audience than the CW show will ever reach, but also to develop Superman in such a way that audiences have never seen.

Superman being a mentor to a young Kara in MOS2 would be the perfect continuation of the characterization they seemed to be pushing for Superman at the end of Justice League. It would’ve been a great way to demonstrate the compassion and earnestness synonymous with the character. Putting an emphasis on the big blue boyscout aspects of the character in contrast to the brash, impulsive elements of Kara’s personality would’ve provided some nice character development for Clark.

Yeah, there really is no easy way out of this mess and we have an uphill climb no matter what.

But waiting to see how a Supergirl film does before they even consider what to do with Superman seems like the exact thing they SHOULDN'T be doing, so of course it's what they're doing lol. Carefully planned, a MOS2 that introduces Supergirl would satisfy a greater number of people, whereas possibly shifting the focus exclusively to Supergirl will only fracture the already divided fanbase.

Plus we have an actual historical example of a Supergirl film without Superman. Didn't exactly work out the last time, even though it was only one of that film's many problems. That and introducing Brainiac in a Supergirl film seems like a middle finger to the Superman fans who have wanted to see him go up against Brainiac for decades.

You guys aren’t thinking like DC screenwriters. All Supergirl has to do is fly around Earth for enough revolutions to reverse time, making everyone forget she was there. Then she can go fork off in space for 40 years and come back not looking one day older.

I actually think film three would have been the better option because for all the crap BvS dished out there's actually a lot of plot elements that could have worked as a stand alone sequel, had Lux Luthor been the focus of the film.

So Brainiac is rumored to be the lead villain. I'm going to be really bummed if Superman isn't in this.

I'm ALL for a Supergirl film, it's long ready for one, but to have Brainiac as the villain ? Christ, how much do WB hate Superman and Cavill ? What a kick in the nuts for both actor & character, F U WB, you bunch of t**ts.

I'm ALL for a Supergirl film, it's long ready for one, but to have Brainiac as the villain ? Christ, how much do WB hate Superman and Cavill ? What a kick in the nuts for both actor & character, F U WB, you bunch of t**ts.

I was thinking the same thing. The first time Brainiac hits the big screen, and Superman's nowhere to be found. I still maintain that it was a mistake to use General Zod for MOS. We didn't need to see him again, and I wasn't blown away by Shannon's performance. Should've been Brainiac. For the most part, the choice of villains in the DCEU has been really poor. Zod in MOS, Incubus/Enchantress in SS, Doomsday (it was too soon) in BvS, and Steppenwolf in Justice League were all mistakes.

I actually think film three would have been the better option because for all the crap BvS dished out there's actually a lot of plot elements that could have worked as a stand alone sequel, had Lux Luthor been the focus of the film.

Normally I'd agree that a third film would be ideal for Supergirl, but things are so extreme right now bringing in Supergirl in a mutually beneficial fashion that would help flesh out this version of Superman more and set her up for a spin off would be the best way to start digging themselves out of the hole they are in.

Especially compared to the options we seemingly have now, which are a Supergirl film with a half assed Superman cameo or no Superman in it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"