Supergirl Movie

So Brainiac is rumored to be the lead villain. I'm going to be really bummed if Superman isn't in this.

The rumour saying Brainiac is the villain (Daniel R on Twitter) is also saying Superman will be a baby on Krypton i.e. he hasn't arrived on Earth yet. So Kara leaves Krypton and lands on Earth in the 70s and Superman is still on Krypton. So that's a way to avoid dealing with him. It also says Supergirl can eventually make her way to modern day if there are sequels.

I like Supergirl but I am also disappointed that Superman doesn't meet Brainiac first. He has missed out on this opportunity once again. Even if he does meet Brainiac in a future movie he will still be second to Supergirl in doing so and any potential Superman writer and director will not have the first option to use Brainiac.

I wonder how they will use Brainiac against Supergirl, whether it involves her parents and the Bottle City of Kandor, whether it involves a full alien invasion of Brainiac to Earth, or some other way...In the comics and animation it was interesting how Supergirl really feared Brainiac because of Kandor, but that was also tied to Superman battling Brainiac. Since it is his original villain. The only hope is if it will be an ongoing Brainiac story involving Supergirl first and Superman later, and expand the story like in Geoff Johns' Brainiac comic and in New Krypton. But Brainiac could be all done with in a Supergirl movie...

It makes sense to me, that Kara is the one confronting Brainac. Depending on the story they'll adapt, she's the one who lived on Krypton and suffered the most from what Brainac did to her city.

Brainac will have a bigger emotional impact on Kara.

I like comics Brainiac but the best iteration of the character is from the DCAU imo.

I just wish at this point we've had one classic confrontation between Superman and Brainiac in the movies. But it always seems like Superman just misses out on that. Brainiac was almost the villain in Superman III, he was going to be the villain in the Superman Returns sequel. He could've been the villain for MOS2. There is a great link between Supergirl and Brainiac, but it's just too bad we have never seen him depicted or established with Superman first in the movies.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Brainiac being her villain, but I do NOT like the idea of her coming to Earth in the '70's. I'd be fine with keeping Kal-El a baby if it were all set on Krypton, but it obviously won't be.

Uh oh. Kara might meet Braniac first (which in modern mythology, is what happens anyway, isn’t it? Kandor and all?)

This isn’t going to help the “measuring contest” that goes on between insecure Superman and Supergirl fans.

Uh oh. Kara might meet Braniac first (which in modern mythology, is what happens anyway, isn’t it? Kandor and all?)

This isn’t going to help the “measuring contest” that goes on between insecure Superman and Supergirl fans.

Depending on the continuity, Kara was on Krypton when Brainiac struck, but she never confronted him. He shrunk Kandor, where she didn't live, she lives in Argo City. It may have happened shortly before she was born, she didn't interact with him in any significant way until well after she became Supergirl, well after Superman had faced him a few times. In the Silver Age, she wasn't born until after Krypton's destruction while Kal was a teenager.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to frame the Superman fans as "insecure," since wanting to see Superman go up against Brainiac has been a thing for a while. So not only will Superman not face him first, they are framing it as being possible he won't be appearing at all to face him. I think the majority of fans would rather Clark and Kara face him together.

The 70s thing is just dumb AF. So not one, but two female superheroes existed but weren't allowed to make a public splash before Superman? Yeah, not a good look.

I suppose they could pull a Captain America and have her end up in suspended animation here on Earth somehow...which would lead to her and Clark being their correct ages in the present?

I just don’t get it
If Cavill is out, this is where you introduce the rebooted Superman

Who had the idea to set this in the 1970s? It seems so pointless and reactionary

Wonder Woman 2 is set in 1984
Captain Marvel in the 1990s
Hurrr durr what’s left for our new girl superhero movie? The 1970s?

IDK, I prefer Brainiac in a Superman movie. But for a villain in a Supergirl film, why not use Cyborg Superman, and use the New 52 take on CS being Kara's father?

I don't know how it being set in the '70s would work. TBH, it doesn't connect with the rest; plus, the correct way would be modern, Superman cameo or supporting role. Given WB's horrible choices recently, IDK what to do to force them to change. Or take over.

IDK, I prefer Brainiac in a Superman movie. But for a villain in a Supergirl film, why not use Cyborg Superman, and use the New 52 take on CS being Kara's father?

I don't know how it being set in the '70s would work. TBH, it doesn't connect with the rest; plus, the correct way would be modern, Superman cameo or supporting role. Given WB's horrible choices recently, IDK what to do to force them to change. Or take over.

That New 52 take on Zor-El involved Brainiac turning him into that. He would be a better antagonist for Supergirl while also strongly hinting at Brainiac, who even could show up in some ominous flashbacks. Save the first direct appearance for the Superman film, with Supergirl joining Clark for the fight.

Brainiac in turn could lead to Kandor, which provides a couple potential antagonists for a Supergirl sequel: Lesla-Lar and Black Flame. Supergirl doesn't have a vast rogues gallery of her own, but she has a couple that could be tooled around with and have potential. One of the various incarnations of Satan Girl could be used as well. Mostly because I love the name lol

Normally I'd agree that a third film would be ideal for Supergirl, but things are so extreme right now bringing in Supergirl in a mutually beneficial fashion that would help flesh out this version of Superman more and set her up for a spin off would be the best way to start digging themselves out of the hole they are in.

Especially compared to the options we seemingly have now, which are a Supergirl film with a half assed Superman cameo or no Superman in it at all.

Hard to flesh out a character if he's not in the movie. The trilogy structure for Cavil's Superman is actually kinda simple:

Man of Steel - Superman introduction, Zod invasion
Man of Tomorrow - Luthor the primary antagonist in response to the events of film one
The Last Son - Introduction of Supergirl who's also the trigger for Brainiacs arrival.

Hard to flesh out a character if he's not in the movie. The trilogy structure for Cavil's Superman is actually kinda simple:

Man of Steel - Superman introduction, Zod invasion
Man of Tomorrow - Luthor the primary antagonist in response to the events of film one
The Last Son - Introduction of Supergirl who's also the trigger for Brainiacs arrival.

This is honestly what we should have gotten.

Wonder Woman 2 is set in 1984
Captain Marvel in the 1990s
Hurrr durr what’s left for our new girl superhero movie? The 1970s?
And then there's Black Widow, which is also rumored to be a prequel and will probably be set in the early 2000s.

Right now, Birds of Prey is the only upcoming female-led superhero movie set in the present. This is getting weird

I would prefer modern day stuff but will still be interested in seeing the different time periods.

I know they were jokingly fancasting Elle Fanning, but the more I think about it, i can honestly see that. She’s talented and she has the physicality, so why not?

I just wish at this point we've had one classic confrontation between Superman and Brainiac in the movies. But it always seems like Superman just misses out on that. Brainiac was almost the villain in Superman III, he was going to be the villain in the Superman Returns sequel. He could've been the villain for MOS2. There is a great link between Supergirl and Brainiac, but it's just too bad we have never seen him depicted or established with Superman first in the movies.

The general audience simply don't know of the existence of Braniac as one of Superman's villains. He only has 2 villains in the movies as far as they're concerned: Lex Luthor and General Zod.
He's destined to fight them over and over again, especially if there's a reboot. Superman Returns went with Lex Luthor, while MOS went with General Zod. That's why he ran out of villains already and had to fight Batman because there was no-one else. :o

I suppose they could go with Nuclear Man for another reboot.

The general audience will easily accept Braniac as one of Supergirl's rogues since they don't even know he's one of Superman's.

The general audience simply don't know of the existence of Braniac as one of Superman's villains. He only has 2 villains in the movies as far as they're concerned: Lex Luthor and General Zod.
He's destined to fight them over and over again, especially if there's a reboot. Superman Returns went with Lex Luthor, while MOS went with General Zod. That's why he ran out of villains already and had to fight Batman because there was no-one else. :o

I suppose they could go with Nuclear Man for another reboot.

The general audience will easily accept Braniac as one of Supergirl's rogues since they don't even know he's one of Superman's.

Sure. Brainiac does have ties to Supergirl, so it could work very well. She could have trauma associated with him from Krypton. In the animated movie "Superman: Unbound", she fears he will do to Earth what he did to Kandor. Also, her parents disappeared while searching for him. I like the history of Krypton tied with Brainiac, Supergirl and Superman. It could've been that way if WB had planned it. But you're right, Superman may just be destined to perpetually fight Lex and Zod in a constant loop and never confront another one of his classic historical villains. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
I suppose they could pull a Captain America and have her end up in suspended animation here on Earth somehow...which would lead to her and Clark being their correct ages in the present?

They could do it that way...and so subsequent sequels can line up with current continuity (if they're still bothering about that!)

I suppose the movie could have many similar traits to stories we know but just removing Superman. Brainiac's robot probes could start invading Earth. This brings back memories to Kara about when she witnessed Kandor being taken away on Krypton by Brainiac, and she has to stop it happening to Earth.

She could also be adopted by the Danvers in Midvale, with no ties to Smallville.

The story involving Brainiac could even continue in future movies and they could even include Superman, saving the bottle city of Kandor, Brainiac melding with Lex Luthor etc. If they choose to go that way. Or they could just keep Superman and Supergirl movies/stories separate and find some other thing for Superman (if his movie ever happens.)

The frustrating thing about this is that WB says they have no immediate plans for a MOS sequel...but then float out Supergirl and Brainiac, both of whose meetings with Superman would be A-Plot material for a MOS film, especially if you combine them both in one film. That idea was circulating around as early as Superman III's pre-production. So they have some ideas, and they have a willingness to push the franchise forward, they just want to go around the central character to do it after short changing him with a supposed "trilogy" of his own. A trilogy in which a lot of his screen time was cut in the second film, and he was left out of the marketing and only appeared in like 10 minutes for the third.

This is also the equivalent of having Barbara Gordon become Batgirl and fight Ra's al Ghul or Bane while Bruce is still a kid. Ditto if they did an Aqualad film of him fighting Ocean Master or Wonder Girl fighting Circe before Aquaman and Wonder Woman debut in-universe. But they wouldn't dare do those.

The frustrating thing about this is that WB says they have no immediate plans for a MOS sequel...but then float out Supergirl and Brainiac, both of whose meetings with Superman would be A-Plot material for a MOS film, especially if you combine them both in one film. That idea was circulating around as early as Superman III's pre-production. So they have some ideas, and they have a willingness to push the franchise forward, they just want to go around the central character to do it after short changing him with a supposed "trilogy" of his own. A trilogy in which a lot of his screen time was cut in the second film, and he was left out of the marketing and only appeared in like 10 minutes for the third.

This is also the equivalent of having Barbara Gordon become Batgirl and fight Ra's al Ghul or Bane while Bruce is still a kid. Ditto if they did an Aqualad film of him fighting Ocean Master or Wonder Girl fighting Circe before Aquaman and Wonder Woman debut in-universe. But they wouldn't dare do those.

I doubt it's that they're lacking plot material. It's that they're not confident to put out another film with Cavill as the lead as that version of Superman. They want a clean break.

I doubt it's that they're lacking plot material. It's that they're not confident to put out another film with Cavill as the lead as that version of Superman. They want a clean break.

If they wanted a clean break, why aren't they just doing it? Why this back and forth over the cameos? Why would they even want him to do the Shazam cameo and possible Supergirl cameo in the first place? The former is no longer happening, but they seemed poised to do it before these disputes started. So they want to keep him around in some capacity, or did before recent news, but also didn't have any plans for MOS2 in mind and haven't in a while.

Nothing they are doing, at least from the info we've been given, seems to make any sense.

That New 52 take on Zor-El involved Brainiac turning him into that. He would be a better antagonist for Supergirl while also strongly hinting at Brainiac, who even could show up in some ominous flashbacks.

...honestly, I wouldn't mind going in this direction.

70s period piece on Earth with baby Kal on Krypton sounds absolutely terrible.

Superman is the main character, Supergirl is supporting. Having Supergirl run around on earth before Superman just is so antithetical to the canon its crazy. Completely undermines Superman's appearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"