Supergirl Movie

It is pretty sad when you're just hoping that a filmmaker includes Superman in a Supergirl movie! But maybe they'll get a filmmaker who has a grander vision of not just Supergirl but Superman and the whole Kryptonian mythology.

If Superman is not included, I only hope JJ Abrams or the like makes the Superman movie.
I would quite like for someone to take over the whole
kryptonian corner. Someone with a big passion for it.

A series of elements I'd be keen on:

- Show Krypton's destruction -- a relentless, intense evacuation -- from her POV. Her dad saves Kandor, but Brainiac, who had been passing himself as a goodie, betrays the bunch and "steals" the city. Her parents die, she makes it out. Her mission statement for the rest of the film is find Brainiac, free her people.

- On Earth, she doesn't know the language, customs, anything. And it'd be fun to establish that the Kryptonian set of values doesn't always align w Earth's, so it'd be a learning curve. You get to make her different from Superman in that regard. Make the cultural divide a key theme, bc it'd make for great and distinctive material. No Danvers parents, bc they'd simply be Kents Light. Make her an orphan, like in the Silver Age comics. Maybe create a supporting cast out of that.

- Make Superman a non-present presence, but beyond an "he's simply off screen" basis. Say there was a recent crisis that he averted prior to her arrival, and he disappeared as a result. Sucked into the Phantom Zone, maybe. Spiderverse's Parker was used entirely in the service of Miles Morales's story, so do the same here. In making a Supergirl solo, there's no way around acknowledging Superman while giving him a lesser role, as it's not his movie. The options are to either be ok with it or be ok with it. There's no Superman movie franchise to accommodate anymore. Use that.

- Make Lex Luthor a key character, and a benign/heroic one at that. Maybe go as far as to say that he wants to honor Superman in his absence, and it's the reason he dons the S shield and blue armor at one point. His friendliness to Kara could be interpreted as a slowburn attempt to control her from the outset, which he never got to do w Supes. And in making them allies, you do a fun nod to the 90s comics. Less yucky, bc they would not be a couple.

- Do the makeshift costume from STAS, Doc Martens included... but with a blue tee. It'd make her more distinctive than if they just tried to out-gloss the TV costume. Or Captain Marvel's for that matter.

A series of elements I'd be keen on:

- Show Krypton's destruction -- a relentless, intense evacuation -- from her POV. Her dad saves Kandor, but Brainiac, who had been passing himself as a goodie, betrays the bunch and "steals" the city. Her parents die, she makes it out. Her mission statement for the rest of the film is find Brainiac, free her people.

- On Earth, she doesn't know the language, customs, anything. And it'd be fun to establish that the Kryptonian set of values doesn't always align w Earth's, so it'd be a learning curve. You get to make her different from Superman in that regard. Make the cultural divide a key theme, bc it'd make for great and distinctive material. No Danvers parents, bc they'd simply be Kents Light. Make her an orphan, like in the Silver Age comics. Maybe create a supporting cast out of that.

- Make Superman a non-present presence, but beyond an "he's simply off screen" basis. Say there was a recent crisis that he averted prior to her arrival, and he disappeared as a result. Sucked into the Phantom Zone, maybe. Spiderverse's Parker was used entirely in the service of Miles Morales's story, so do the same here. In making a Supergirl solo, there's no way around acknowledging Superman while giving him a lesser role, as it's not his movie. The options are to either be ok with it or be ok with it. There's no Superman movie franchise to accommodate anymore. Use that.

It'd be interesting to really use her being older when she left Krypton to show the cultural differences when she lives on Earth. There are ways to really make her distinct from Kal-El, coming here older than he did, being a teenage girl etc.

It would be great to see a different point of view of the destruction of Krypton too. Adding the Brainiac/Kandor angle, her relationship with her parents, being torn away from them, promising to protect Kal etc.

If Superman isn't present in the Supergirl movie, they might still set it in the past (the 70s) to avoid having to explain where Superman is (i.e. he hasn't arrived yet.) But I really do hope they tie their stories together somehow, not just avoid having them meet. An eventual meeting and teamup would be awesome. The 1984 Supergirl movie said he was off-world and there was something unsatisfying about that explanation.

Last edited:
melissa benoist is beloved as supergirl, its will be hard for the actress to compete...its like grant gustin & ezra miller, Ezra didnt worked popularity wise

Yeah, make her a teenager, include a high school setting, and that alone should easily set it apart from the show.

Yeah, but it is also an exaggeration of how many GA know or watch that Supergirl show tho. It would be kinda like getting a Green Arrow on film. I'm sure them CW Amell fans would've been angry, but it wouldn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

This is also me wanting Lily James to play her.

Nah, Kara is and has always been a teen in the comics. Time to give us that on screen. It also helps to separate her adventures from her cousin. Her story should be a coming-of-age story.

Angourie Rice or bust!

I was championing Sydney Sweeney hard last year, but she may have disqualified herself with her recent role. :funny:

I was championing Sydney Sweeney hard last year, but she may have disqualified herself with her recent role. :funny:

Wouldn't mind her in a CBM role considering that she's a trained MMA fighter. My pick would be The Runaways' Virginia Gardner though.

A Sophia Lillis type. If not, the actual Sophia Lillis would do just fine. Sucks for Batgirl, but she's fair game.

It's taken me a while to realize how much I've wanted the next Superman movie to just be "The Supergirl from Krypton". More than "Death of" I think. Like I wish I could go back to 1983 and make Superman III that.

DC TV Shows Make Company Over A Billion Dollars Per Year

Don't understimate the popularity of those shows. They're juggernauts.
There was also a study about 2 years ago from one of the big industry analytics companies which factored in DVR-ratings, international ratings, social media mentions and torrent piracy that ranked The Flash as the 5th most-popular show in the world, behind Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Pretty Little Liars and Westworld (at the time, which was probably after Westworld's first season). I think Arrow was in the top 10, too. Sure, they don't get the kind of attention that a major blockbuster does, but US live ratings don't remotely tell the whole story on those shows' popularity, partially because they aren't even available live in a lot of regions due to the CW being the unique type of netlet it is. But make no mistake, they get far more eyeballs than their Nielsen ratings suggest.

Last edited:
There was also a study about 2 years ago from one of the big industry analytics companies which factored in DVR-ratings, international ratings, social media mentions and torrent piracy that ranked The Flash as the 5th most-popular show in the world, behind Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead, Pretty Little Liars and Westworld (at the time, which was probably after Westworld's first season). I think Arrow was in the top 10, too. Sure, they don't get the kind of attention that a major blockbuster does, but US live ratings don't remotely tell the whole story on those shows' popularity, partially because they aren't even available live in a lot of regions due to the CW being the unique type of netlet it is. But make no mistake, they get far more eyeballs than their Nielsen ratings suggest.
I think this is what you are referring to:
Data reveals the 20 most popular TV shows of 2016

There is also this:
'Game of Thrones' Tops Most Pirated Shows of 2016

I do not like it that much, because it is a little feminist.
This thread is not talking about the CW TV show....it is for discussing a SUPERGIRL theatrical movie.

I'm not a fan of coming of age stories and high school drama has always bored me. I have no problem with Supergirl being a teenager, I just hope the film isn't about being a teenager.

I'm not a fan of coming of age stories and high school drama has always bored me. I have no problem with Supergirl being a teenager, I just hope the film isn't about being a teenager.
I agree. I want her to be a teen, I want to see her naivety being a large part of who she is at the start. I don't want to see her crushing on 'that guy at school who barely notices me', or dealing with 'the mean girls on the cheer squad'.

I wouldn't want it to be some sort of teen soap, facing all the typical teen problems either. But more about adjusting to all aspects of life on Earth. An outsider living among us and really feeling and observing the differences. As discussed before, she is more of an outsider than Superman because she spent her earlier years on another planet. She's also different from Wonder Woman (well, what we've seen so far in the movies) in that she is living and growing up in our world, right in amongst society.

If Brainiac is the villain I wonder if they will go for a typical obvious alien attack at first, where he arrives with a lot of fanfare and tries to steal a city. Or if it something like a discovery or realisation for Kara, more of a build up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"