Supergirl Movie

I agree. I want her to be a teen, I want to see her naivety being a large part of who she is at the start. I don't want to see her crushing on 'that guy at school who barely notices me', or dealing with 'the mean girls on the cheer squad'.
That's not what a coming-of-age story is. That's a teen soap, lol. Sometimes those elements are big parts of coming-of-age dramas, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about about how growing up, we're all faced with disillusionment of what we thought the world was, who we thought our parents were, etc. Kara Zor-El experiences that on a cosmic scale. She thinks the knows what the world is, and then her world is literally blown up before her eyes. And beyond that, she's faced with a world with different values, worldviews, expectations, etc. and has to begin to come to realize that maybe what she thought was right and good and true and the way things should be done isn't necessarily so. And that maybe her parents weren't the infallible people she thought they were either, and she has to forge a new identity from her new reality and worldview, and rethink everything she thought she was going to be growing up. THAT is coming-of-age, just told on a grand scale, and that's what a Supergirl origin story should be, imo. It's about learning to question your old childish notions, realizing that the universe isn't nearly as simple as you once thought it was, and figuring out what kind of person you're gonna be with that newfound worldview.

But she's gonna have to deal with her fellow teens too, y'all. Just as Peter Parker or any other teen hero would. It's part of the experience. It'll just hopefully be less "teen comedy"-esque than the current Spidey movies, imo.

Last edited:
I'm talking about about how growing up, we're all faced with disillusionment of what we thought the world was, who we thought our parents were, etc. Kara Zor-El experiences that on a cosmic scale. She thinks the knows what the world is, and then her world is literally blown up before her eyes. And beyond that, she's faced with a world with different values, worldviews, expectations, etc. and has to begin to come to realize that maybe what she thought was right and good and true and the way things should be done isn't necessarily so. And that maybe her parents weren't the infallible people she thought they were either, and she has to forge a new identity from her new reality and worldview, and rethink everything she thought she was going to be growing up. THAT is coming-of-age, just told on a grand scale, and that's what a Supergirl origin story should be, imo. It's about learning to question your old childish notions, realizing that the universe isn't nearly as simple as you once thought it was, and figuring out what kind of person you're gonna be with that newfound worldview.
That's exactly the kind of thing I would like to see.

My post on what I don't want to see wasn't in any way based on anything you said btw, just a statement of personal preference.

These "scoops" are confusing since Heroic Hollywood then said

Earlier today a production grid revealed that Supergirl could begin filming as soon as early 2020, but this not the case as that movie isn’t as much of a priority as Batgirl at Warners. According to a source, Batgirl is currently a big priority and the studio is even searching for a director for the project. Now, we don’t have any names as to who could direct Batgirl but this should be taken as good sign that Christina Hodson has delivered a fantastic script.

I guess Batgirl could go into production sooner if it does have a finished script.

Last edited:
Olivia Wilde should be their first call.

I wonder who will play her parents Jor El's brother Zor-El and her mother Alura? It stands to reason if they have Russell Crowe reprise his role as Jor-El for this film as well?

If Supergirl is gonna be a DCEU film then you have to have her cousin Kal-El/Clark/Superman show up especially since Superman pretty much started the DCEU film universe with his film back in 2013

However, you establish Kara and her own universe of characters but also with this film you can eventually use this as a bridge towards Man of Steel 2

Someone like Elle Fanning would be a safe, predictable choice. She could still do a good job, and if they're going for a name she would be a good choice. But I hope they go more for an unknown (like they did with Helen Slater.)

I HAVE THE NEW MAN OF STEEL THAT LOOKS A LOT AS CHRIS REEVE, HIS NAME IS TRAVIS VAN WINKLE, HE IS PERFECT TO BE THE NEXT SUPERMAN AND SUPERGIRL MOVIE

69558946_378908339698912_2732714470118785024_n.jpg 70514852_525209998302583_2265177923847716864_n.jpg mobile_7ab0d818-6f30-4536-b88b-4eedbecf2fee.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if Superman well Clark if he should show up in this film

Ok, so how did supergirl survive Krypton blowing up? Did her parents shoot her off into space on the other side of the planet while Clark was being sent off?

Ok, so how did supergirl survive Krypton blowing up? Did her parents shoot her off into space on the other side of the planet while Clark was being sent off?

She's had a few different origins over the years, for a while she wasn't even kryptonian. Don't know how the film will play it.

This movie's scrpt was announced a year ago and we've gitten exactly zero updates ever since.

This is not getting made.

I too would love to see how they explain that

They could use the excuse that Kara was living at one of the Krypton's outposts (or colonies like Argo City) located on different Planets / asteroids near Krypton and her parents decided to send her to Earth after Krypton blew up.

But, yeah there's no movement on this movie at WB, as I expected.

Last edited:
I like the more traditional origin where both Kal and Kara are sent to Earth from Krypton, so that it can keep the storyline of Brainiac stealing Kandor City and Kara's parents being trapped within it. (Maybe Brainiac steals Kandor just before Krypton explodes, aware of its imminent destruction.) Kara and Kal can both be sent to Earth because Jor-El and Zor-El are brothers, and both are scientists. There can be variations to this but it would be nice to tie their stories together with Brainiac.

But, yeah there's no movement on this movie at WB, as I expected.
Maybe they've decided it's not a priority since they don't know what's happening with Superman yet. Maybe they will try to tie the movies to each other. Say they do try to get Abrams on Superman, they could wait to see how it would tie to that, how he would want to handle it.

The report we got a year ago about the Supergirl movie being set in the past, no Superman etc all sounded like it was being made amidst a lot of uncertainty . It sounded like a rushed reaction to the popularity of Wonder Woman. The main thing we got since then was Forbes and the like saying production could start in early 2020. It doesn't really look like it, since they seem to have other priorities.

Meh, they should focus on Wonder Woman and other more original female superheroes. Supergirl takes too much from Superman’s storyline to be interesting.

They are very different characters, they have different personalities and different journeys. If they go with the current origin, Earth is an alien planet to Supergirl in a way it isnt to Superman. She experienced the loss of Krypton first hand faces a far harder time fitting in among humans.

A Supergirl film could be about trauma, someone suffering from terrible loss the equivalent of being the survivor of a genocide.
It could be about an immigrant, a refugee, trying to learn a new language, new customs and make a new life.

Yes they have the same powers and similar costumes, but they are distinctive characters.

Just use her Post-Crisis origin. Older than Kal, both shot off at the same time, her ship got blown off course and was put into stasis until she finally arrives and awakens on Earth.

They are very different characters, they have different personalities and different journeys. If they go with the current origin, Earth is an alien planet to Supergirl in a way it isnt to Superman. She experienced the loss of Krypton first hand faces a far harder time fitting in among humans.

A Supergirl film could be about trauma, someone suffering from terrible loss the equivalent of being the survivor of a genocide.
It could be about an immigrant, a refugee, trying to learn a new language, new customs and make a new life.

Yes they have the same powers and similar costumes, but they are distinctive characters.
This.

Just use her Post-Crisis origin. Older than Kal, both shot off at the same time, her ship got blown off course and was put into stasis until she finally arrives and awakens on Earth.
And this.

With Melissa Benoist having just announced her departure from the CW series maybe there's a bigger chance of a big-screen Supergirl movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"