The Dark Knight Rises TDKR SPOILERS (read at your own risk) - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going back to the LoS is the only suitable way to end Nolan's take on Batman, and moreover the way Batman sees Gotham.

Batman fights to save his city from its baser elements. It is only logical and fitting that to complete this story, that tension must be made manifest in the most extreme way possible - both psychologically and physically.

That argument never stops being lame and unimaginative, but I'm gonna stop here because I don't want to get into this again.

How on earth does that sound lame?

First of all, I'm saying that Joker & Riddler are NOT totally the same. You don't want to get into that again, because you know that my argument doesn't sound as stupid as TDKR being a rehash.

When I'll have criticisms about TDKR, it won't be because he's using a villain who wants to the destroy the city again. Because Joker wanted to create chaos yes, but no matter how insane he was, no matter how many people he killed, he did it for "fun". And to anger Batman, so that when they would face again, Batman would've reacted even harsher to Joker's misdoings. To the point where he breaks his one rule, or didn't I hear Joker say something like that?

Bane has a much bigger plan.

I think the only way the Riddler succeeds is by making him a secondary villain for much of the picture.

I had always envisioned a Phillip Seymour Hoffman type Penguin character, who was another master of enterprise like Wayne. Like a Lao in TDK.

The Riddler is a bookish type who is hired by the Penguin to help bring down Wayne Enterprises, ends up figuring out Bruce is Bats, and kind of takes the reins on his own agenda at that point. But you don't know he's manipulating everything until Bats brings down the Penguin.

Mainly, I just dug the idea of the guy Wayne is fighting on a corporate level and the guy Bats is fighting on a criminal level being the same. Also I like the idea of competing detective work, Bats investigating Penguin, Riddler investigating Wayne.

I don't know. I definitely hated the "Riddler as Jigsaw" crap.

The nitpicking has already started. It's logical that they go back to the LOS, because they have been telling us that way before filming started. IF they hadn't done in it in such a clear way, there would've been complaints as well.

Yeah, because arguing about the main villain's motives is really nitpicking, right :doh:

I know this is goes back to silly rumors, but I would've dug it if Coleman Reese had been Nolan's Riddler. Spurned by Wayne. But that would've required a much stronger actor in the role in TDK, and for that character to have a little more spark.

I like your idea about Reese. Or what if one of the fake hockey pad Batmen decided to become Riddler to show Batman up? Lots of possibilities.

Reese would have been an interesting way to go, but I honestly just don't see the Riddler ever having a place in the Nolan-verse aside from a Scarecrow type role.

The problem with having an entire movie center on the Riddler is the question 'what way can this villain pose a real existential as well as physical threat to Batman as well as Gotham?' I could see the Riddler working in a smaller scale, more noirish take on Batman, one in which there are multiple villains or problems for a more detective oriented Batman to deal with. In order for the Riddler character to maintain his core and still be a large enough threat to warrant building a film around him is hard to imagine.

Why is batman so surprised to turn around and see Bane on that bridge right before they fight?

Couple quick thinngs - first time posting. To those who have seen movie, how long into it does bruce put back on suit? Does he get beaten up soon after putting it on and then spend a large time rehabbing? Also, how does he escape prison? Is it related to that preview scene where it looks like guys repelling into the prison on ropes?

Yeah, because arguing about the main villain's motives is really nitpicking, right :doh:

If done like that? Yes.

It was obvious from day one that they were gonna go back to BB. So I don't see the problem.

Villians usually have repetitive plans and motives in comics. It's a nice bookend imo

How come the two fights are so drastically different from one another? I mean first Bane basically toys with Batman and cripples him almost without breaking a sweat. The rematch is a whole different ball game and Batman beats the living **** out of Bane. What's up with that? Is Batman just so unprepared the first time he fights Bane?

Uh...

Catwoman doesn't betray Batman, that's Miranda.

I have been reading the posts all night and the IMDB spoiler stated:

Catwoman does betray Batman in the sewer scene. She does it in order to get Bane and his henchmen off of her back.

I don't think she realized the severity of the beatdown Bane was going to place on Batman though.

Last edited:
How come the two fights are so drastically different from one another? I mean first Bane basically toys with Batman and cripples him almost without breaking a sweat. The rematch is a whole different ball game and Batman beats the living **** out of Bane. What's up with that? Is Batman just so unprepared the first time he fights Bane?

I think when the first fight occurs, Batman thinks he can just suit up and do what he did 8 years ago. He is not prepared for this fight what so ever, not only physically, but also mentally.

I mean anybody who stops doing something for 8 years is going to be severely rusty and not to mention the shock of Catwoman setting him up and Bane saying 'Mr. Wayne"...

Honestly, assuming that the spoilers are true:
Selina and Bruce must have made one HELL OF AN IMPRESSION on each other during the short period that they know each other before the end of the film..I mean to the point where they leave Gotham behind TOGETHER...that's something.lol..and this is again all assuming if this is all true.lol
YesJackNicholson.gif

MBD posts say anthing about how long he'd been Batman again before the first fight?

MBD posts say anthing about how long he'd been Batman again before the first fight?

Not sure, from all the spoliers I am puzzling together that he puts the cowl back on to stop Catwoman and while chasing her he gets led down to the sewers where he gets his back rubbed by Bane.

Reposting this because I'm curious if it makes anyone feel better about this:

Regarding Blake
I'm growing in love with this ending. It sounds like we don't see the suit. Just Blake on the case, rising up. It's a literal translation of Batman as a symbol causing gotham (represented by Blake) to RISE.

The symbol is actually lifting Gotham. Blake finding the cave is a representation of hope and possiblities for his future, and the future of Gotham. They will always have Batman as inspiration to make them RISE in future times of trouble.

It's very unlike the comics where Bruce would never abandon Gotham, but it's a fantastic closure to Nolan's themes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"